Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unhide multiple worksheets at once

We can hide several worksheets at once, but we can only show them individually.

Although the VBA can solve this issue with some lines of code, but it would be a great improvement if you add this capability to Excel as a build in feature.

586 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

54 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Put the color back in the Quick Access icons. The 2016 icon are impossible to decipher.

Put the color back in the Quick Access icons. The 2016 icon are impossible to decipher. The white theme is too bright. Please fix this awful problem. I am an accountant and I must use Excel desktop due to the size of my files. Your GIANT step backwards in icons is incomprehensible. Please give us a theme with the 2010 Excel colors and excellent definition.

187 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

152 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make all windows (Dialog Boxes) containing variable-sized content resizable

Too many windows force the user scroll well before the comfortable screen space for the window is exhausted. We also do not want these windows to simply be bigger and potentially take up an unnecessary amount of screen space.

For the best of both worlds, I suggest that a window should be resizable if and only if it contains variable-sized content (e.g. scroll bars, text boxes).

Examples of specific windows are listed in the comments.

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Keep offline help for both EXCEL and VBA

Please return offline help like in Excel 2010 (for VBA and Excel)... It is enugh to have just basic offline help without totally up to date informations in 98% cases.
    Thank you.

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. IRM read permission does not allow to change a filter or a pivot, nor to run a macro

The RMS permissions on a document for a user depend on the permission a user has for that library or document in sharepoint. The mapping from the sharepoint permissions to the RMS permissions are fixed and cannot be configured at this moment. This causes problems for users having sharepoint read access, when opening an excel workbook because they cannot change filters, make or change pivots, running macros. This makes the reading process of RMS protected workbooks unusable.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Spreadsheet documentation

A key feature of good spreadsheet design practice is the proper documentation of the spreadsheet but almost no help is given in Excel for this. Let's have some tools to help.
    Three initial suggestions:
    1/ a free-form notes page (a bit like the bottom part of a Powerpoint slide) where documentation notes can be added as the spreadsheet is created, possibly with automatic reminders when named ranges, new styles, user defined functions etc are created
    2/ A record being made when a new workbook is linked in to take data from this workbook
    3/ automated listing of ranges, names etc…

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Malcom. We’ll keep an eye on this – we’ll be more deeply investigating things with more votes, so people should up vote this if they like it. I’d also encourage people to chime in on the comments for this one with any specific asks for particular cases/operations they care about more than others.

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

7. Improve Office Help Files

With every generation of Microsoft Office the included Help system gets ridiculously worse, help used to be one of it's strong points. Old versions of Office included fast and comprehensive offline documentation that was incredibly useful and could be searched in seconds. Excel 2013's help was horrendous and Excel 2016 is a disaster. Currently I'm trying to write a VBA function, I enter some code hit F1 hoping for an example and then have to wait 15 seconds for Firefox to open and display a poorly formatted MSDN page, if I then use the MSDN search box to refine my…

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. KEEP IT SIMPLE

Please keep excel from growing further. It's a shame to learn where to look for a known function with every release and its a pain that some "new" features clearly show we users are deemed the most stupid being on the planet, since microsoft excel always knows better what and how we want to do it. I'm quite annoyed at all the new cloudy things like "share" that cannot be disabled with reasonable effort. And if you keep going, you push me to use somtehing else.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Include Track Changes

Include Track Changes

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Include "Compare Files" in all Office 365 plans

There is a powerful "Compare Files" command in Excel 2013 to see the differences between two workbooks (it's in the "Inquire" ribbon tab). However it only seems to be available in certain Office 365 plans, and I haven't found anywhere that says when you buy plan x you get this functionality and not that.
    It would be great if this could be included in all versions of the product!

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Go back to giving us the permanent DVD ROM of the software

Quite frankly .. I LIKE having the physical copy that has no expiration date of the software in my files .. (This way if the item fails (or the device goes belly up .. and I have to migrate everything to a new device) .. I still have the software in my hands and can easily do that transfer to the new device WITHOUT having to trust internet connections and downloads from the cloud

This is especially true for those of us who are Military and/or live rurally (we do not have reliable connections at the best of times ..…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Automatically recognize unicode CSV file automatically

Currently, to open Unicode encoded CSV file in Excel, you would need to go through cumbersome import process. for example:
    http://smallbusiness.chron.com/open-utf8-excel-63726.html

Just opening the CSV file will cause some characters displayed as garbled.

Please add the functionality for Excel to automatically recognize CSV contains Unicode and display it properly (like Notepad for example).

This is similar as an ask for Excel for Mac:

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/9783765-support-utf-8-for-csv-import-export

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow customised keyboard shortcuts

MS Word has allowed customisation of keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl + Shift + S for Save As) but Excel doesn't. Please address this. Thanks.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. A Back-Step Button on Evaluate Formula

(I previously submitted this but, with the wrong title)

I use the formula editor a lot to troubleshoot long formulas. It would be nice to back-step at least 3 steps from the current step.

Say, I've got a formula that errors out on the 15th step. I have to start all over again to carefully step through again to see what happened. It would be helpful to go back a few steps, then forward again.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow >31 characters in a sheet name

31 characters is really quite short. There have been a few times that I've either used abbreviations or left out important identifying words of the sheet entirely.

Expanding the character limit would complement this suggestion nicely:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10203054-support-multi-row-worksheet-tabs-or-vertical-tabs

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Richer experience in Advanced Editor for Power Queries

Can we have some intellisense and improved ability to reference Power Query functions in this window. It's quite a pain to have to go off to a separate guide on Power Query functions when you just need a bit of help to get going - in terms of what function you should use and / or the arguments it takes

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Scroll in data validation list

I would find very usefull to scroll with my mouse in a data validation list. Today I need to use the scroll bar by clicking on it.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Excel for Ubuntu / CentOS

I'am Japanese.
    I used Google Translate.

I want a Linux version of Excel.
    With Ubuntu version and CentOS version you can cover most Linux.
    Linux users are potential customers.
    There are too many restrictions in the online version.
    Thank you.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Please have someone check these suggestions to merge similar requests.

Please have someone check these suggestions to merge similar requests. I was about to put in a change request but then found 7 posts of the same request and they all have different amount of votes. All for the same thing. If they were merged the vote would be considerably more and may make the developers take note.
    Thank you for listening

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. "Protect Workbook" is misleading

When you protect an entire workbook, the menu item should change to "Unprotect workbook". Currently, it remains "Protect Workbook". This is misleading - you can't tell whether a workbook is protected or not until you actually click on the menu item. This seems to be a bug and needs to be fixed. It should work the way "Protect Sheet" works.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base