Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells.

If there's a really tall or wide cell, Excel jumps to the edge of the cell when scrolling past that area. This is a big pain when, for example:
    - trying to position a shape
    - Trying to grab the edge of the row or column in order to resize it.

Excel should just scroll normally without jumping.

2,431 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

653 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for all of the passion about this suggestion! The number of votes has increased greatly in the last couple months and we’re taking notice! We’ve got a bunch of other Excel endpoints behaving this way already and we’re evaluating getting it done in the Windows versions sooner based on the number of votes it gets – so keep the votes coming!

Eric Patterson (Program Manager – MSFT)

2. Restore MDI file handling (open all files in one window); Kill SDI (each spreadsheet opens in a seperate window)

In the good versions of Excel (prior to 2007) one could open multiple workbooks in the same window. Now, one has multiple instances of Excel (and every other Office app) whenever one opens more than one document / spreadsheet.

Again, here are the issues:

1. Stability - I experience ~3X Excel crashes in 2016 (SDI) as compared to 2010 (MDI)

2. Screen Space / Real Estate - Drastically reduced screen space when each workbook requires its own Ribbon, Quick Access Toolbar and Formula Bar

3. Toolbar to Workbook Confusion - One Ribbon + Quick Access Toolbar + Formula Bar to control all workbooks…
    1,177 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

908 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all of the votes – the team has definitely taken notice of the activity around this issue. We moved to SDI as a result of customer requests, but it looks like we’ve got work to do to really nail the use cases people care about. From a read over the comments, I see a number of cases that we will want to investigate further as we think through MDI vs SDI. We’ll get someone from the team to take a deeper look, and we may reach out to some of you for more clarification as we go. Thanks again for all the voting and passion here!

John, Excel

3. Visually show which cells are selected even when another application has focus

Currently, when I select one or more cells and then switch to another application, the boundary box and shading for the selected cells are not shown. Other Office applications exhibit this behavior as well--selection highlighting is only displayed when the program has focus. Many (most?) non-Office applications show the highlighting at all times.

It would be far more useful to be able to glance at the spreadsheet and see which cells are selected, even when working in another program.

526 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion E Bow. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about changes you’d like to see – we’re listening. We’ll take a look at this one. As always, folks should keep voting for the things they like the most – we’ll generally be prioritizing things according to the number of votes they get.

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

4. Please Allow Keyboard Shortcut Customizations In Excel.

Surprisingly Customizations In Keyboard Shortcuts Are Allowed For Excel In Mac And Not Windows Even When Both Excel And Windows Are Microsoft Trademark.
    Please Add Feature To Allow Keyboard Customizations To Excel As In Work For Aiding Ease Of Access To Various Commands As Per User Preferences.
    Thanks.

330 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Scroll horizontally by pressing Shift+Wheel scroll, or with mice that support side scroll, like Adobe Reader, Chrome, IE...

Scroll horizontally by pressing Shift+Wheel scroll, or with mice that support side scroll, like in other aplications, like Adobe Reader, Chrome, IE...

131 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. make it easier for the eye to spot the active cell. The thin green lines are too hard to spot

Allow for formatting of the box that highlights the active cell

107 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Worksheet groupings

Workbooks with many worksheets can be difficult to navigate. One poster has suggested having multiple levels to the worksheet tabs.

As an extension to this, we could have worksheet groupings where several worksheets could be contained within a grouping. You could then select a particular grouping (which would look like worksheet tabs and be placed below the actual worksheet tabs) and then have access to all the worksheets in that particular grouping. There would also be an 'All' grouping that contained all the worksheets.

These grouping could be included in the workbook protection so that you could choose which worksheet…

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. QAT Spacing

The QAT spacing on the 2016 version is impossible to work with and forcing me to look at creating a new tab. I liked the spacing on 2013 which allowed me to view all my written macros and buttons. The new spacing pushed 5 of my buttons to a drop down. Please correct this spacing issue. The spacing does not need to be this large when you don't have a touch screen. I am one of 35 employees in my company that this effects. We have a customized QAT that all employees use.

83 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option to show list of sheets sorted by name. Today it's only sorted by index.

Option to show list of sheets sorted by name. Today it's only sorted by index.
    In English:
    Option to show list of sheets sorted by name. Today it's only sorted by index.
    When we right click on the navigation arrows (bottom left corner of Excel), Excel shows us a list of the worksheets sorted by index/position in the workbook.

Suggestion: add a checkbox or a combobox to that dialog box, with a couple more options, like the attached image:
    Index Asc
    Index Desc
    A to Z
    Z to A

This is not to move the sheets around, this is to…

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Display Status Bar of Inactive Window 2016 Excel

In Excel 2010 we were able to highlight numbers and have their sums displayed in the grey status bar towards the bottom of the sheet. Working with 2 monitors, this feature was very helpful.

After upgrading to Excel 2016 the status bar of the non active/selected workbook disappears instead of the sum being viewable of the non active workbook.

The feature was helpful for at least 2 open excel instances where we can view the sum of the non active workbook and it would be great to have back instead of being forced to click in out of each workbook…

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. For better focus highlight current row/column

Have the option to highlight the entire row or column (or both) that you are working on so you are less likely to read the wrong data.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Quit having a spreadsheet reopen in a different size than it was when it was closed

When I close a spreadsheet, it is the size I want it to be. But when I reopen it, Excel is as likely as not to have "decided" that it knows better than I do what I want, and it reopens in a different size. Sorry, but I do know better than Excel does what I want, and resent the arrogance displayed in changing my preferences. Make it stop!!!

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you say that it opens a different size – can you give more info? Do you mean the application window is a different size (it shouldn’t be) or that the font sizes (zoom) are different? (again, they shouldn’t be)

Additionally, if you can post a video of what you’re seeing, that would be a big help for us.

If there is a problem here, it’s definitely something we’d want to fix.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

13. Keep freeze panes setting when opening a second window.

Keep freeze panes setting when opening a second window. I frequently open a new window (second view of the same workbook) so I can make changes on one tab of the workbook and instantaneously view the results on a second tab of the workbook without having to select back and forth between two tabs. The problem is once the second view is opened it no longer adheres to the freeze pane settings of the workbook. I find myself re-freezing the panes multiple times a day.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Single Page Zoom

When in Page Layout mode, have the option to zoom out on one page. Word has a "One Page" option in the zoom settings. Excel is default to "Multiple Pages" when zooming out and scrolling. Would be nice to see how the document will appear printed out.

See attached for what is available in Word.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Tool to use arrows in order to highlight one full row at a time

Currently, if you select a full row and then hit the down arrow, it will jump down to the left-most cell below the row you had selected. Since many people go through row by row to analyze data, it would be helpful if you could use the arrows to go up and down while highlighting/selecting one full row at a time. The workaround most people use for this is shading every other row so it is easy to see which row each cell belongs to.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Scroll by pixel, not by cell.

If you have large cells, scrolling becomes impossible. The page always snaps to the top of a cell. Even if my cells are small enough for me to read them fully, scrolling through them leaves me disoriented and I keep loosing track where I am on the sheet. I see no reason not to scroll by pixel instead of by cell.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Freeze pane for bottom row(s) of a range

It would be good to be able to freeze one or more bottom lines (as well as the headers) of a range or table to be able to keep things like totals in view at all times.
    Similarly, freezing columns on the right hand side of the sheet would be useful sometimes.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Resize GoTo Dialog Box

For the love of G-d, please, after all these years, make all dialog boxes, especially the GoTo dialog box!

For example, it is IMPOSSIBLE to decipher contents in the GoTo dialog box when using longer Excel file and sheet names.

Most programming languages provide simple ways to define resizable dialog boxes (e.g. Resizable: True, Max Height, Max Width, etc.)
    If Microsoft would take 1 extra minute to fix this in Excel, I believe it would save users like me hundreds of minutes per year. That would free me up to use even more Microsoft products!

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Give us the option of opening two or more workbooks in the one instance of Excel.

Just got Excel 2016, and have found you have removed the ability to open multiple workbooks in one instance of Excel. I know we all asked for separate instances as default, as this is what all sane people will do 90% of the time, but that other 10% of the time it is useful to have the workbooks together, especially if you need to paste formulas/formatting between them. There is no reason why this can't be an option, as the functionality has been there for years (decades?).
    Also..
    Please fix it so Ctrl-H brings up "Replace", not "Find" like it…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base