Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop Excel from changing large "numbers" (actually text values) to scientific notation.

Prevent Excel from changing large "numbers" (actually text values) to scientific notation.

1,530 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

465 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks very much for your votes. And to those who took the time to fill in the survey, thank you! This is a brief update to let y’all know that we’ve started work on this feature request.

- Urmi [Msft]

2. Maintain leading zeroes when entering values in cells

There should be an application setting OR paste recovery option OR cell format to retain leading zeroes when entering values in cells (either manually or through another means like CSV import).

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] Updated idea title and description to broaden this issue from maintaining leading zeros on CSV data import to maintaining them on any cell entry.)

1,288 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks very much for your votes. And to those who took the time to fill in the survey, thank you! This is a brief update to let y’all know that we’ve started work on this feature request along with the one on changing numbers to scientific notation.

- Urmi [Msft]

3. Make Undo stacks track per workbook instead of globally

Undo stacks are currently global between all workbooks that are open at a given time, so pressing undo on one workbook might undo a change in a different workbook. As someone who frequently has multiple workbooks open at a time, it would be much more helpful to be able to step through the edits made on each individual workbook.

809 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

152 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for all the passion on this issue – we hear you and we’ll get someone on the team to dig in to the issue. I’ve seen a few related sub-issues while scanning over the comment section for this one, so we may reach out to a few of you for clarifications. Thanks again for all the votes, and keep them coming for the issues you care about!

John, Excel

4. Allow us to turn off automatic conversion to date

Search for "make excel stop converting numbers to dates" and you will see the user demand for this feature. Please for the love of all that is holy let this be at least an advanced user setting.

277 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Jessica. We’ve got a few other suggestions on the site that are similar with scientific notation, etc. We’ll take a look at this area, and pay special attention to any cases that get a lot of votes. So please keep the votes coming to help us do a good job at prioritizing asks like this!

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

5. IP Address as a datatype.

I would love to see IP Addresses added as a format option and functions added for validation of the IP addresses..

For instance InSubnet(Network as IP,Netmask as Integer,address as IP) to determine if an IP is within a Subnet;

Being able to do addition/subtraction on the field would be awesome as well!

233 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Alex, and thanks to those that making their vote heard. This is a pretty interesting ask – take a look at the comment I made. I’d like us to understand a few related things. And as always, please keep voting for the things you care about most.

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

6. Improve Data Validation (make it AutoComplete based on typed characters)

Data Validation needs an auto complete in the List Option
    It also needs to support Table Structured references directly in the List option without having to wrap it in a Name

174 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Change Excel's paste default behavior

When you do an ordinary paste like Ctrl+V, Excel pastes the cell values, formatting, validation, everything. However, many users usually paste only values when working, and the extra handling to paste special is not productive.
    Word and OneNote have a setting that allow the user to choose the default paste type, and that should also be available in Excel.
    -
    I know there are add-ins to workaround that and also the shortcut AppKey+V to paste values, but I think that should be a native Excel setting.

147 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove the pointless message “There's a problem with the clipboard, but you can still paste your content within this workbook."

The message shows up if you run in the background a program that keeps a peek into the clipboard, as for example the "Skype web plugin" and other telephone programs. A possible cause can also be the software "Audials".

You can find a thread with lots of complaints and a few flimsy justifications and non-answers here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10/clipboard-problem-in-excel-2016/224b2a59-8a0c-4897-baba-a481dd06e085

The message shows up with Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, using the Format Painter and only taking whole cells. It does not show up if you copy a part of a cell content.

Contrary to some Microsoft officials’ posts, the error message shows up multiple times…

108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

86 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Be able to protect Power Pivot data model and measures with password

When you create a data model and measures in PowerPivot with PRO versions, users can modify and edit both.

Users and customers that have no idea on how the model has been build can make a lot of damage and dysfunction.

As well as VBA has it would be very interesting that Power Pivot has the option to be able to protect data model and measures with a password.

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fill Handle For Worksheet Copy

If I have a worksheet called January and I Ctrl+Drag that sheet to make a copy, Excel should automatically call it February. Use the same logic as the Fill Handle (support months, weekdays, and any custom list).

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Protect me from #REF! ambushes

Every so often I delete cells and unbeknownst to me create a bunch of #REF! errors in another part of my worksheet. I may not realize until much later when I can no longer undo back to fix the error. Excel could spare me this. If my deletion is about to create #REF!s it should bring up an alert like "Other cells depend on the cells you are about to delete. Would you like Excel to adjust their formulas to avoid #REF! errors? [Yes][No][Cancel]. [No] would do what it does today. [Cancel] would abort the operation. [Yes] would smartly substitute…

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make "Paste and Merge Conditional Formatting" the Default Paste Behavior

When using Paste or Insert Copied Cells, conditional formatting rules should be merged by default. The paste behavior is currently inconsistent. For example, if you copy/paste a single cell, then rules are merged, but if you copy/paste multiple cells, then rules can become fractured or split (meaning that duplicate rules are created for the newly pasted cells).

There is already a precedent set for using merged conditional formatting as the default paste behavior: Google Sheets has been working this way for a long time and it works well.

Fractured or Split CF rules can be a serious problem. Consider the…

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Paste Special - Add a numeric field when using one operation

Via the Paste Special we can operate on a range of values. However, to do, for instance, a multiplication, we first need to use a cell for it. As an option I would like to see that we can instead add a number to the Paste Special dialog as the attached screen shot shows.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Give user option to NOT take selected/all Defined Names to new workbook when copying worksheet

If you copy a worksheet from one workbook to another, Excel currently also automatically copies ALL Defined Names (even if there is no range in the source workbook to which these refer!). It will also copy without warning names with a different scope to an existing name in the target workbook (i.e. If an existing name has Workbook scope, a copied Sheet scoped name will be copied without an warning of the duplication!). This can result in a huge number of redundant or conflicting Names in the target workbook.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Stop Copy & Paste overwriting Data Validation

When you have data validation on a cell, a drop down list for example. A user can circumvent all of this by either copying and pasting into the cell or when dragging from other cells numbers can increment and therefore render the data validation, invalid. A user should not be able to copy and paste values which are not in the validation.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Need ability to allow only paste values in protected Excel without using macros or vba

Need ability to allow only paste values in excel without using vba i.e. in an .xlsx. This makes protected worksheet templates better.

We send protected templates to our suppliers who fill in invoice data and send back to us. The Excel template cannot have VBA code or macros to ensure that it passes through email systems. When we get back the template we use an inhouse VSTO addin to validate / push the data into our Accounting System. The data validations / conditional formatting built into the template get overwritten if the supplier does a normal paste. However if we…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. The ability to copy (or paste) 'visible cells only' when copying/pasting from a filtered range into a column of empty cells

An example is the following scenario:

If I use a filter on a column and remove blanks, only listing the cells with data. I then copy this data (visible cells only) and wish to paste this data into a filtered column of blank cells.

Currently Excel pastes this data into the unfiltered cells. It would be a great addition if Excel would allow users to paste in the filtered list that was visible only with the filter applied.

It is possible to get round this using a macro but I feel it should be part of a feature within Excel…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Prominent Manual Calculation Mode warning

Given the great danger of not realising that calculation mode is set to Manual, it would be very beneficial if a "Manual Calculation Mode" indicator (in bright fire-engine red!) was displayed (and visibility maintained until calc mode is switched back to non-manual) in a prominent location - such as in the Title Bar to the left of the Minimize button.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add an easy way (Ribbon button) to change text casing (UPPER, lower, Sentence, etc.)

Currently Excel is the only Office application that doesn't have the ribbon-button to change selected text to uppercase or lowercase.
    The only way to do it is to use the function =UPPER() and then copy/paste the resulted value into the original cell.
    It would be good to have a button to change the selected text to uppercase or lowercase.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. short cut key for Paste just value

Many tims I copy and paste things around from difrent webpages or diffrent spreadsheets into my excel file and it keeps the format too wich causes problem, unless I right click and choos the option, which is so frustrating when you are copy/pasting over hundred things.
    I tried to set one but there is no way. I tried Macro bet it did not work.
    Please please just add a shortcut key (like Shift+Ctrl+v) or let us to set the default like MS Word.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base