Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. No more warnings about saving as CSV, especially when I didn't change anything

I don't know how many hundreds (thousands?) of times I've told Excel that, yes, I really truly do mean to save this file as a CSV. I recognize that not all users will understand that CSV doesn't do cool formulas or formatting, etc., but I do and I still want to do it. And I want to do it a lot. Please, give me a way to opt out of these useless warnings!

1,196 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

94 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-09-07

We’re done – you should no longer get a warning dialog about data loss when saving a file as CSV, as long as the file was originally opened as a CSV file.

Instead, we’ve added a non-intrusive business bar (that you can ignore if you choose) that let’s you quickly Save As the file if you have made changes that are not savable in CSV; if you ignore it and just Save, we’ll just save out the CSV values as you’d expect.

We actually rolled this out starting on August 13, 2016 with build 16.0.7167.2040 for O365 users. Later builds have this update as well of course.

Thanks for participating in UserVoice – we definitely value your input. You can now use whatever votes you’d allocated for this idea for other ideas.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

= started status 2016-06-15 =

Great news – we’re working on this…

2. AutoSave Master Switch rather than an "I Told YOu So!" later

Microsoft has added a new feature to help users co-author files. Whether you are for or against this feature is not my point here: it needs Excel's AutoSave switched on to work. That's fine. But it shouldn't be the default. It is accepted that Office is trying to make various apps consistent, but Excel is used differently. What makes it the most popular software in the world is the ability to experiment without consequences.

Made a mistake? No fear, close without saving and re-open. Accidentally delete a sheet? Don't worry, close without saving and re-open. Replaced all formulae with =RAND()?…

353 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have been listening to your feedback and are updating AutoSave with the ability to turn AutoSave off if desired. There are three patterns in this feedback thread that we are addressing now. The first pattern is that you want AutoSave off because you make temporary edits or hypothetical edits that you don’t want to save (we call this what-if analysis). The second pattern is that you start a new file from an existing file after making some changes to the existing file (like a Template or Invoice). The third is that sometimes the “Last Modified” timestamps are changing even when no edits were made.

In response to the feedback about a desire for AutoSave to be off by default due to temporary or hypothetical edits (what-if), we have added some new functionality and options for AutoSave:
    1. You can turn AutoSave off for a specific file. While a document…

3. Support saving CSV in UTF-8 encoding

Currently, if I create a CSV file with Excel, it can only be saved in ANSI format, turning all special characters to garbage. I would like to be able to save it in UTF-8.

I know I can save it in the "unicode text" format, but the problems with that are:
    1) It uses tabs instead of comma.
    2) The encoding is not UTF-8, making it alien to other applications.

249 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-11-01——————-

Great news here folks – we’ve completed our work on this feature and Excel will support a new CSV format using UTF-8 encoding.

This fix still needs to make it through our release pipeline, but you should see it as an option once you have a build equal to or later than 16.0.7466.2023.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

2016-06-28———————-
    Good news – we’ve started work on this.
    Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

older——————-
    Thanks for the suggestion Doron. As Dan mentioned in the comments, we’re watching this one. I’ve seen a number of other suggestions related to CSVs as well. We’ll keep our eyes open here and take a look at the highly voted things in this space. As always, keep the votes coming to help us do a good job prioritizing your favorite asks to the top.
    Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

4. Recent Files pane in Excel 2013 was pretty good, but Excel 2016 broke it (Pin pinning recent files no longer sorts alphabetically)

In Excel 2013, you could pin recently opened files to the top of the list, and they would be sorted alphabetically. This way, you could easily get the same file by using keyboard shortcuts. For example, Alt-F-R-1 opened the first one on the list, alphabetically. The order stayed constant until you pinned or unpinned a file.

In Excel 2016, the files are listed chronologically, so Alt-F-R-1 opened the most recently used one. If you wanted to get a certain one, you have to wait to see where it is in the list. This is a TERRIBLE change. I keep opening…

221 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

165 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

= 2016-12-09 =
    Hi all,

The MRU should be sorting alphabetically again if you’re using build 16.0.7466.2038 or later. You can find your build number under File > Account.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

= 2016-09-22 =
    Hello,

I noticed a few reports of folks not seeing alphabetized MRUs anymore so I followed up with the Office team (it’s shared across Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) that owns this.

Turns out that they rolled it out in July (and then we posted here that the work was completed) but then ran into some bugs and so disabled the feature on the MRU-service side.

That bug has been fixed, and they are planning to roll it out again in October.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

= 2016-07-11 =
    Greetings,

Good news on the recent files front – pinned files are now sorted alphabetically, as they were in previous versions of Office (and Excel).

To see…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base