Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase the 218 character filename length limit to open files in excel

Excel can't open files with full path lengths greater than 218 characters as documented in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/213983. This is still a problem in Office 2016. It seems crazy that Excel can't open a valid file that the filesystem allows. People have been complaining about this since Office 2000. The thread below has over 11 thousand views and there are plenty others. Please fix this. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/sorry-unable-to-find/595333d0-1463-499f-967e-4da8ac2e2047

503 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

161 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable user to pin Folders to the recent lists for Open and Save As

** Please bring back functionality from the old Microsoft Office suites (not just xls).

** For alphabetic sorting of files in the recent lists, please don't vote here. Instead, see https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10261443-recent-files-pane-in-excel-2013-was-pretty-good-b

Specifically: it is useful to have a list of recently-accessed folders from which to open files. Such folders were available on the older versions of Microsoft (MS) Office, but not in the 2016 “upgrade”. (i.e. MS Office 2016 contains only a list of the recently opened files.)

Constantly having to navigating BACK to a recently used folder to open / save a file is very annoying.

I'm not the…

429 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. read only mode

Excel 2016 workbooks open in read only mode from SharePoint and Edit needs to be enabled everytime.

I open and edit the same workbook 100 times every day. I wish that I could open the Excel without clicking the Edit button every single time.

213 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Options for AutoSave

The AutoSave function is a great idea!!
    Just not in practice...
    In my business we re-use the same invoices made in excel for the same jobs, however save them as a new file each time in order to keep a record of the previous invoice.
    The new AutoSave feature is extremely dangerous in this regard.
    If I, or someone else, does not remember to turn off AutoSave, or save as a new file BEFORE making new changes, we LOSE our previous invoice.

Have options for AutoSave, the most important one being, DEFAULT OFF rather than default on.

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Preserve source quoting and separator when saving CSV.

Currently, Excel alters CSV files to it's internal CSV format whenever the file is saved, even if no changes were made to the file. For example, if I open a CSV file like below (anonymized version of a AWS credentials file):

User Name,Access Key Id,Secret Access Key
    "somebody",WISKFHEYDSJ2UDFH6XAD,mDHJNSLCF!safsdlds>Flsdfj/Mjufsldkhafdsl

And then I merely open the file and save it without making any changes, Excel will alter file, removing the quotes:

User Name,Access Key Id,Secret Access Key
    somebody,WISKFHEYDSJ2UDFH6XAD,mDHJNSLCF!safsdlds>Flsdfj/Mjufsldkhafdsl

In this particular example, the change is harmless but for more complex CSV files, simply opening them in Excel is sufficient to break other…

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion – CSV hasn’t been an area we’ve been looking into recently, but we’ll reconsider. It looks like this is starting to get some votes fairly quickly. If you like the idea, then please keep the votes coming! That’s the best way to help get this onto our engineering schedule.

Thanks,
    John [MS XL]

6. Add a setting/option where all CSV/delimited files are opened as "Text"

Add a setting called
    "Open text-delimited files (CSV, etc) as text only, with no type inference."

When this setting is active, then every column's format will be "Text" when a CSV or other such file is opened, so that the initial view is exactly the text represented in the CSV.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback!

Can you comment on whether you expect this to basically import all the lines as text to column A, or if you have some other expectation?

Also, I’m assuming people refer here to the file/open path, and not to the Data/From-Text or New-Query/From-Text path.

7. Quit having a spreadsheet reopen in a different size than it was when it was closed

When I close a spreadsheet, it is the size I want it to be. But when I reopen it, Excel is as likely as not to have "decided" that it knows better than I do what I want, and it reopens in a different size. Sorry, but I do know better than Excel does what I want, and resent the arrogance displayed in changing my preferences. Make it stop!!!

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you say that it opens a different size – can you give more info? Do you mean the application window is a different size (it shouldn’t be) or that the font sizes (zoom) are different? (again, they shouldn’t be)

Additionally, if you can post a video of what you’re seeing, that would be a big help for us.

If there is a problem here, it’s definitely something we’d want to fix.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

8. Allow the option to list pinned files either alphabetically or by recent use.

Excel 2016 switched the order of the pinned files from alphabetical to most recently used. IMHO, that was a big improvement. Apparent;y that change has been reversed.

Pre-2016 I only pinned 4 of 5 files that were hard to find or only used monthly. Files I used Daily I pulled from the recently used files.

In 2016 I switched to pinning about 20 files. The ones I used daily or weekly are always near the top. The ones I use monthly are farther down but easier to find than going to the various directories.

For me, going back to the…

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. turn off autosave

Allow users to turn off mandatory autosave for all Office files at once. It causes accidental data loss

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. PLEASE Allow the pinned items to sort alphabetically!

PLEASE Allow the pinned items to sort alphabetically! I do not understand the logic of last opened date on pinned files because files that are pinned are not sorting that way either. Not having the ability to know where the pinned item ends up is not efficient since I can look for last opened files below. PLEASE revert to the 2013 method or make this a selectable option in settings.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Don't add "copy of" to file name in save as dialog

When I save my file with a new name "Save As" it always adds "Copy of " to the file name. I don't always catch this because it's not expected behaviour, and that part of the UI is quite busy.

I never want to add a prefix to the file name automatically, it breaks file sorting and I can't find the new file.

I'm usually just saving the file as the next revision.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Leave minimized window minimized when opening other Excel Documents

Exactly as the title states. When I minimize an Excel window, I'm doing it for a reason. It's very annoying to have the minimized window pop back up on my screen when I open another Excel file. If I want it back on my screen, I'll do it myself. At least give us an option to turn this on/off.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel Misinterpreting CSV as SYLK file.

When opening a CSV file in Excel where the first field is "ID", Excel gives a dialog saying the extension does not match the file type (Excel assuming the file type to be SYLK). I have had to make a change to my codebase to change "ID" to "_ID" specifically for users who utilize Excel. I would appreciate a fix ASAP.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. please give the option to remove autosave from excel

there should be a way to turn auto save off permanently. it saving over files if I forget to manually turn it off. this is becoming a problem and a feature that I don't particular need or want. please set up the feature so you can remove it permanently not just turn it off on individual work sheets. thanks

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Restore MDI

Please bring Excel back to how it was prior to the 2016 version. Open only one instance of Excel for all spreadsheets. Have one Ribbon for all of them. Open all windows the same size of all others. Make split view work again. Enough of the 1,000 clicks we have to do more each day because of this SDI very bad idea.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Disable option for new auto-save feature in Office 365 version 1707.

Please add a kill switch in the menu options for the new 'auto-save' feature. I absolutely hate the fact that this is enabled on all files stored on the cloud by default; it causes the timestamp on archived OneDrive and SharePoint workbooks to change to today's date immediately upon opening, which makes it look like something was changed after the fact. This has a huge impact on organizational reporting and I'm surprised that no one else is raising **** about it yet. This is causing me an awful lot of trouble, to the point where I am trying to figure…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Open multiple files with the same file name

Allow excel to open files with the same name but different location at the same time

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Release memory after large workbook is closed

Excel does not appear to release all memory previously used when large workbooks were open, thus limiting the number/size of workbooks that can be subsequently opened in that instance of Excel. If a passenger gets off the bus, the seat immediately becomes free for someone else - do the same in Excel!

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Turn OFF AutoSave feature permanently

I'm frequently using saved files as templates. With the new AutoSave function my old files get overwritten as soon as I start editing the file. I have to save the new one immediately with another name otherwise I'll loose the old one. This is annoying.
    Pleas allow to deactivate AutoSave function in the Option settings.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Autosort the document recovery pane by date (descending)

The document recovery window can really be a life saver, but it can also be extremely frustrating. However the fix for this seems like it would be mind-numbingly easy for one of your office developers.

Please update the document recovery view so the files are sorted from most recent to oldest in the window. Today there is absolutely no logic to how the files appear in this window, and trying to find documents that I've worked with today can take a while if you aren't always clearing your recovery pane. I generally don't erase my recovery pane, in case I…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base