Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Filtering Needs to Work in Co-Authoring

Say that several people are editing the same workbook. If Tom filters to show only his records, then the other people will only see Tom's records. We need to be able to have each person apply a different filter and see only their records.
    Note that it is fine to require that the workbook can not have SUBTOTAL or AGGREGATE functions in order for independent filtering to work. If you allow these functions, then everyone will have different calculation results which would be problematic.
    It is more important to us to be able to have each person apply a local…

440 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

45 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. read only mode

Excel 2016 workbooks open in read only mode from SharePoint and Edit needs to be enabled everytime.

I open and edit the same workbook 100 times every day. I wish that I could open the Excel without clicking the Edit button every single time.

220 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Return share workbook functionality to Excel 2016

Excel 2016 has recently removed the share workbook functionality and hidden the icon for easily sharing workbooks. It appears that this has not taken into account spreadsheets that are saved on file servers, and aren't uploaded into the cloud (ie the co-authoring functionality). Please return the functionality so that workbooks can be easily shared.

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You’ve provided feedback on the Excel Shared Workbook experience and we would like to know more about how you’ve used this feature and the value it provides. By taking this survey, you can help the Excel team better understand how to prioritize our Collaboration Experiences moving forward.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR3M53G0xM8tHle2rOax4MqNUQ0lOWlM2OFRTTkJNRTVGQU1ZV0hDMTZYSy4u

4. Comments - stop resizing and moving comments

When hiding and un-hiding rows, or moving rows, or having freeze panes on, the comments on cells for no reason stretch or move far down one's sheet. It would be really nice if the size of the comment stays as is and it doesn't move all over.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow autosave/co-authoring for password protected workbooks

When using co-authoring with Autosave in latest Excel desktop client, it fails if the workbook is password protected. Allow multiple users to edit a password protected workbook.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Adding comment (tool tip) in chart (to various elements of the chart, data points, etc.)

To be able to add comments to a specific data labels in a chart (can be bar chart, line chart)

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is an interesting idea that we’ll consider for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

7. Allow brackets in filename or path

When a person's display name contains a bracket character (such as a departmental suffix) this bracket is included in the folder name of a OneDrive shared folder. When a recipient of that OneDrive shared folder attempts to modify an Excel spreadsheet and save it back to the shared folder, they will see an error that the file could not be saved due to invalid characters in the filename or path. If Excel could support the bracket character in the filename or path this would no longer be an issue. (An alternative solution would be to allow admins an option to…

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to comment within formulas

Allow us to add commentary to formulas. While it is best practice to break up large formulas over multiple cells, sometimes it has been necessary that I must create large (or just simply complex) formulas. The ability to add commentary would help tremendously for my users or future administrators who are tasked with updating or understanding my financial models.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable Excel to send a Task to Outlook

Some users use Excel for tracking of various tasks or operational reviews. At the end, follow-up minutes and tasks will have to be created. It would be great to have a function like in OneNote to create a Task in Outlook. Information about Due Date and Assignee should be embeddable into the cell with a little popup window.
    When in Outlook, you should be able to click the task and go back to the Excel document (and specific cell) stored on the SharePoint.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix comments displaying across frozen panes

Comment bubbles only "float" over the fixed worksheet area that's set by default or that's manually changed by the user. They also will float over hidden adjacent rows or columns. However, if a comment is in a cell that's fixed using the "freeze panes" feature but the worksheet display isn't contiguous to the comment bubble, the bubble will be cut off instead of float over the frozen panes.

This makes it impossible to read a comment saved in a row 1 header field (say to read details of what type of data is supposed to go there) but the cell…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Trust Center Trusted Locations needs to integrate with OneDrive/Live AutoSave redirection

The new OneDrive/Live AutoSave functionality opens a file at a cryptic live.com address, even if the user opens the file from C:\users\myuser\onedrive\somefile.xlsm. Adding C:\users\myuser\onedrive\ as a Trusted Location does no good and the file is still untrusted because it was actually opened from this cryptic live.com address.

The people who designed AutoSave for OneDrive/Live clearly never talked to the people who designed Trusted Locations.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. unique user view of filtered data in shared worksheet

allow users of shared worksheets to filter their view of the data without affecting the view of others who are also using the same spreadsheet even when saving the document.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Disributed calculation (with colleagues computers)

I'm sure that Microsoft's experts will be able to optimize the Power Query code. However, almost certainly there will be users with very massive models that update very long. Please add the possibility of using distributed computing to process Power query queries.
    It would be very cool if we will be able to configure in a simple interface wich of colleagues computers in the local network (and maybe on the Internet), whose resources, can be used to speed up the calculation. And when processing queries, use avialable resources together.
    In addition, the use of distributed computing in a local network…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Autosave is a disaster

Autosave is fine for a phone but using in in the "real" (Desktop - paid for) version of Excel is a terrible idea.

I have my main files on a portable running Win 10 Desktop and I save first to a local drive expecting them then to be updated in my OneDrive.

This hasn't happened. My iPad copies are the versions since before the misguided upgrade to the Desktop version that made AutoSave compulsary. Files are not then saved on the portable but marked Update Pending which is useless when later in the day I want to check - for…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. more intelligent autosave default

Hi there, the new auto save function causing more problems than it is resolving because it is on by default regardless of the nature of the workbooks. I recommend that the user is rather prompted to enable autosave on workbooks with macros or with file sizes > 1Mb instead of enabling it by default.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Google Drive Service

It would be greater if I MS Office add Google Drive for user to open documents form that service as well.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable data query refresh (with PowerPivot tables) when workbook structure is protected

I want to protect the queries from being changed but want users to have the capability to refresh the data model (that uses PowerPivot).

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Excel Collaboration and Sharing

Issue:
    There are many times where my co-workers and I are required to work in the same spreadsheet simultaneously. The excel web application allows us to do this but does not contain the full functionality of excel that is required to do our work. Although Excel already has as shared spreadsheet option, each time a user wants to see updates, they have to save and hope the other person saved their updates as well.

Solution:
    It would be great to use excel and collaborate in real time just as the web app does but within the excel platform on our…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SharePoint List Sync

Bring back the SharePoint List sync feature enabling 2-way synchronization between an Excel table and a SharePoint Online List.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Check boxes

Have the ability to add Check Boxes like in OneNote - be able to simply add a check box into a cell and be able to check it off

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base