Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the black and grey boxes that cover the screen when you scroll

Whenever I scroll too fast in Excel on my PC black and grey boxes appear everywhere and cover what I am working on. This is incredibly frustrating because there is no way to get rid of the boxes.

This only happens on my external display and it only happens in Excel.

Please fix this issue.

https://superuser.com/questions/1053006/excel-grey-and-black-boxes-on-secondary-display

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

91 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for opening this item and the feedback folks! Please provide more info on the type of Display monitors that you experience this issue with. Also continue voting on this which will increase its likelihood of getting prioritized for fixing in the product.

thanx,
    Prash [MSFT]

2. VBA ScreenUpdating-Property does not work in Excel 2016!

The VBA Application.ScreenUpdating-Property does not work properly in Excel 2016 / Win 10. See attached screenshot. The screen is updated after each step in VBA, although the ScreenUpdating is set to False. The property worked nicely in Office 2007 / Vista.
    It would be nice to have this bug fixed as quickly as possible, since I have hundreds of Makros who depend on this property.
    Christian Klug
    Düsseldorf, Germany

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ticket #12395436 - Excel arabic

Hi, we experience an issue with MS Excel and the arabic language pack: User does right click on desktop and selects new Excel Workbook. New Workbook opens and first column A is on the right of the sheet and title of the sheet is arabic. If user just starts excel and creates a new workbook within excel all is working as expected, only if user selects new workbook from right click to desktop this happens. We installed the arabic language pack and this seems to affect the default template of excel.

The same issue is already reported for Office2007 and…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bug Fix Needed: Data Labels - Value From Cells - Text Not Updating

When using the new Value From Cells option for data labels in an XY Scatter chart, if the range you select for the Value From Cells contains any BLANK cells and then you save the file and close the file ... when you re-open the file and try to edit the blank cells to add data labels to the chart, the data labels remain blank. Normally, you can edit the cells to edit the data label text and the data label text updates immediately.

Current Work-Around: (1) Go to Format Data Labels (2) Click on the Reset Label Text button…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel 2016 - Screentip Placement

Would it be possible to update the screentip placement back to the right-side of the pointer in future updates of Excel?

I noticed that in Excel 2016, when highlighting columns (for vlookups, for instance) the screentip displays on the far left side of the program (if you start highlighting in column A). Whereas, in previous versions of Excel, the screentip always displayed to the right of the pointer.

The new popup location on the left causes the screentip to display on a completely different screen than the current Excel instance if you have an extended display located to the left…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Better testing with large, complex workbooks

I work with a large, complex workbook (several MBytes, about 150 worksheets). Excel crashes several times per day, and even crashes Windows 10 regularly with a stack overflow. Simple VBA code that works with small workbooks will regularly crash Excel (e.g., For Each ws In wb.Worksheets; do something simple; next ws). I suspect that the problems are memory or stack related, but my real request is for the testers to specifically create test cases based on huge workbooks, then see what happens.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’d love to get samples of these workbooks that are crashing, along with steps that cause them to crash. Until then, there’s not much we can do without more data.

If you have such a workbook, please create a new idea entitled “I have a workbook that crashes, which I want to send you” and I’ll get back to you with an email address where you can send it so we can take a look and fix the problem.

Thanks!
    Dan [MS]

7. put back - open multiple spreadsheets in the same Excel 2016 instance

open multiple spreadsheets in the same Excel

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Correct floating point bug

In Excel 97 there was a fix for an issue with floating point arithmetic, specifically, when a value reaches zero as is explained in the "Example when a value reaches zero" section at this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/78113

However, this does not work in current version when the last operand is a 0. For example, using the example given in the section referenced above,

A1 = 1.333
    A2 = 1.225
    A3 = -1.333
    A4 = -1.225
    A5 = ""

=SUM(A1:A5) gives the correct answer = 0

However, if A5 = 0 instead of being blank, then the sum returns -2.22045E-16

After investigating…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. there is a problem with the clipboard

"There is a problem with the clipboard, but you can still paste your content within this workbook" August 22, 2017 In Excel, under File/Options/General, please provide a switch so that users who like to be shown this message can see it, and the unhappy people, like myself, can switch this feature off. Almost every time copying is required ....#@&!!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. BUG: Second blank window opens after minimizing of maximized excel window

I have opened excel window as a common user. The window is maximized. After minimizing it excel create second blank window, which is connected to the first one (see attached file). Then, when I want to work with excel sheet, all popups opens in the blank window (which is annoying especialy if I am working with formulas). I cannot close this blank window without closing all opened correct excel files.

When I doesnt have excel window maximized, it doesnt make problems. Only If I open excel file and it is open maximized.

I didnt find this issue when I open…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make ALL windows and dialogue boxes resizeable

Please allow the user to change every dialogue / command box size. Example; Go To box default size is completely useless when trying to trace precedents - one has to click in the reference box, one by one, and scrolling with the right arrow to get any idea of what cell is being referenced. IT IS USELESS, and has been this way forever. Can't believe I have to plead for this in 2018!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix the "There's a problem with the clipboard" issue

The issue with "There's a problem with the clipboard..." while copy and pasting is still as issue. I was using Office 2010 and there was no problem. I am now using Office 365 and this issue is prevalent. It manifests itself when pasting a value from a cell containing a formula and disappears when disabling Live Preview. I was able to copy and paste "normal" cell contents fine before the error message appears so the official response of "another program has locked the clipboard" doesn't really hold up. It looks more like Excel has locked the clipboard from itself.

There…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. unstable

Excel freezes; unstable can't handle large number of large files. New features are great but would rather have more stable product

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

info needed  ·  2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Error With Protect Sheets

The Error was introduced on 08/25/2017 in Office 365 ProPlus Excel 2016 version 1708 (build 8431.2046), as shown below.

The error occurs when some range of cells as "Unprotected" are selected and this selection is change to “Protect”, making a "Select Locked Cells" and "Select Unlocked Cells" options unchecked, the sheet will be blocked all together. The user can’t click on any cell. However, by right clicking on any cell, the Clear Content option will appear, and clicking on it will clear the cell that was previously unlocked from the protection, losing the data and invalidating the sheet protection. Another…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Not responding!!!

Not responding most of the time, especially half way through, and suddenly all files became "not responding". The only way is to go to Task Manager to End Tasks. Meaning, most of the work will be lost and wasted.
    Wonder if Microsoft can pay (Using Money) us back with such valuable data lost?
    Constantly saving files is one thing but we don't know when (everytime using) it will freeze.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel 2016 is unstable when opening multiple spreadsheets.

Fix Excel 2016 to open multiple spreadsheets in one instance. Excel 2016 becomes unstable when opening over 5 or 10 spreadsheets and simply locks up forcing me to use the task manager to close everything and then opening just a few spreadsheets at a time.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. The download button in a The Embeded Excel will not work in Sharepoint and Onedrive for Bussiness

When I click the download button on a Embeded excel that is stored in sharepoint or onedrive for business it will not work.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Setting FreezePanes using c# raises error when worksheet in the background

When I set FreezePanes with c# when the worksheet is in the background (This is one of the last actions I do in a process of a few minutes, in the meanwhile users tend to move away and do other stuff).

I begin with worksheet.Activate(), and it is the same code I used with versions 2010 and 1013 but in version 2016 it raises an error.

Why is it needed to do FreezePanes on an activated worksheet anyway? All other styling is not depending on this.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Minimizing Ribbon and Customizing size of Window

When minimizing the ribbon (Excel 2016), the window automatically resizes to MAXIMIZed. When attempting to resize the window (in order to more efficiently use Desktop space), the Ribbon re-appears (re-maximizes).

There seems to be no way to use (Excel 2016) with a minimized ribbon and customized windows size.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base