Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Get Tables working on protected sheets (add rows, sort, filter, etc.)

I would like to be able to, under the right circumstances, have the ability to add/remove rows of a table which resides on a protected sheet.

Currently if you protect a sheet you can't insert/delete rows of a table. Even if you unprotect all cells and allow inserting/deleting of rows on sheet protection, it doesn't matter and is completely ignored.

What I am proposing would have to follow specific rules:

• Table cells would have to be unprotected

• Cells below table would have to be unprotected (truly optional † )

• Insert Rows would have to be specified in sheet protection

†…

1,034 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

165 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for logging this great suggestion, Zack, and to others for voting it up. We’ll prioritize this according to the number of votes, so if there’s more interest, please make sure to register your vote!

Thanks

Ashvini Sharma
    Lead Program Manager
    Excel

2. Invert Filter Selection

I'd like to see an option to invert filter selections. For example: If i apply a filter in a table i can select some boxes with a tickmark, but if i want to invert my selection i need to unmark selected itens before and mark the others.

In resume, i'd like to invert itens selected in a filter for the others unmarked.

195 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

118 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable user filter views

This feature should allow you to create, name, and save custom views of data that can be selected without affecting how other users see it.
    As a next step it would be handy to share specific filter views with other users and choose which specific filter view should be applied by default.

Similar request already planned for Excel Online:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/274580-excel-online/suggestions/8192445-allow-for-personal-user-views-filters

Example of how it is done with filter views in G Sheets (available for a couple of years by now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noue5sB69Uc

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add option to filter drop down list

i wants to add an option to filter drop down list which gives output as in inverse select in filter

example: in a column i have values as 1,2,3 & 4. In a filter firstly i selected with 1 & 3 then with the help of above idea which output is select 2 & 4 in filter.

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Blank" option to the top of the excel filter options

Is there a way to bring the "Blank" option to the top of the excel filter options as it is shown in the picture below.

In 2010 version of the excel the "Blank" was on the top by default but it went back to the bottom of the list in the next revisions.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Change Excel Table Name in the Create Table Window

Every time I Insert an Excel Table I then have to go change the Table Name (Alt+J,T,A). It would be great if the Table Name could be changed on the Create Table window when you are selecting the range of the Table.

It would also be nice to have some default settings for the table names. For example, I prefix all my table names with "tbl". This makes it a lot easier to get a list of the tables in the workbook when writing formulas. I would like to store this preference somewhere and then have the table name be…

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Filtering:

Filtering:

When filter button is pressed on any column, the drop down menu should -

1. Show number of recurrences of each unique value displayed in the drop down list, in brackets on the right side of each unique value, in grey font. This will be very helpful in knowing, by just dropping down filter menu, how many records are there for each of unique values shown in the filter drop down list. Currently we have to filter each value and run a countif formula in a help column or look at the bottom line that shows how many records are…

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Filter columns by more than one color

I would like to filter columns by color, one color is ok and works fine, but choose two or more colours in the same filter

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Multiple total rows in tables

Wouldn't it be great to have multiple total rows in a table. Say I have a column with the sum in the total row, but I needed the average and count for that column too. The only option I know of now is to make separate calculations below the table. I would be nice if all of those calculations were an integral part of the table.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. recent filters

Have a Control with the most recent filters (last 5 to 10 filters), so the filters can be reapplied to an existing table.

This should enable power users to work faster and Archive more in Excel.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enable Merged Cell Sorting

For rows or columns that contain merged cells, all rows or columns associated with the merged cells should be treated and sorted as 1 row or column.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Data validation - allow Table references as List Source.

If I'm using Data Validation in List mode, and I use a Table reference (e.g. "=Table1[Column1]") as the source, for some reason it doesn't work!

The workaround is to create a separate named range for that Table reference (e.g. make a named range called "Table1Column1" that Refers to "=Table1[Column1]", but it's a real pain to have to do this every time, and it is something that I use a lot!

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to paste to filtered (visible) cells

PROBLEM: Excel's PASTE (ctrl-V) operation does not distinguish between filtered and unfiltered cells, even though its COPY (ctrl-C) operation copies filtered (visible) cells.

SOLUTIONS:
    * Enhance PASTE SPECIAL (ctrl-alt-V) to support the ability to paste into only filtered (visible) cells.
    * Add a user option to support this default PASTE action.

BENEFITS:
    * Eliminates the danger of pasting into a filtered area without realizing the problem. This is a very common problem with users new to Excel. Even experienced users must be constantly aware of this problem.
    * Addresses a problem for which there is no good workaround. All VBA…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Pin the (Select All) check box in a filter list

The (Select All) check box appears first in a filter list but disappears when you scroll down the list. I would prefer to see this box pinned at the top of the list so it can be checked and unchecked easily however far down the list you scroll. I often scroll down a long list then realise I wanted to deselect all and just choose one option so I have to scroll all the way back up to unchecked the box.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Filter Option - for 6 Months

In Filter, there are options for Last Week, Month, Quarter & Year. There could be following 2 options that can help user a lot:
    1) Last 6 Months
    2) First 6 Months (Current Year)

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. filter box

I use the excel filter function a lot. Each time I click on filter, the filter box appears as a small box. I resize the box to show more entries, however when next selecting the filter, on any column, the box has returned to the default small size. Can Excel remember to keep the filter box to the size that I adjust it too.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Move (Blanks) to the top of the Filter

Hello,

Currently, the (Blanks) checkbox is at the very bottom of the Filter dropdown. Please move (Blanks) to the top. I uncheck (Blanks) all of the time, so it would be quite convenient. Thank you for your consideration.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 Ideas for Filtering

1) Please add a functionality to "invert selection". Often you want to filter a couple of lines and after that check the remainder. It would be nice to have a one-click-solution for that.
    2) Please add functionality to "filter from cliboard". If you want to filter by various attributes you should be able to copy them from your list and add the copied lines to the filter.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Table Sorting for both Row Data and Column Data

For excel Tables give an option to filter both columns and rows using drop downs. This would eliminate the need for transposing. Right now, filters are only at the top row and filter column data. I would like to use this feature and then filter the row data. So there would be a drop down arrow across the top row and also filters for each row going from top to bottom in the first column of a Table.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base