Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Python as an Excel scripting language

Let us do scripting with Python! Yay! Not only as an alternative to VBA, but also as an alternative to field functions (=SUM(A1:A2))

2,921 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

194 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for voting for this item. We’re going to investigate this for a future update to Excel.. of course the probability of getting it done goes up proportionately to the votes we get on this item, so please gather as many votes as you can!

Also, would love to hear if you have preferences for ordering between Python or R.

thanks
      ash [MS XL]

edit: hello /r/python from reddit. Great to see insightful discussion along similar lines to what we’ve been bouncing around internally.

• Allow users to set/choose defaults (via settings) for PivotTables - Layout (compact, tabular, classic, etc.), PT Options, etc.

Excel 2007 introduced the new Compact Form and made it be the default for all future pivot tables. With this layout, multiple row fields are compressed into column 1 of the pivot table. This makes the data very difficult to later re-use.

My request is to add a setting in Excel Options where each person can choose their default pivot table layout. All future pivot tables will use Tabular, Outline, Compact, or Flat. (Flat is a new layout introduced by Power Pivot... it is Tabular with no Subtotals).

Additionally, the same settings area shouls allow the user to save other…

530 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

65 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Maintain leading zeroes when entering values in cells

There should be an application setting OR paste recovery option OR cell format to retain leading zeroes when entering values in cells (either manually or through another means like CSV import).

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] Updated idea title and description to broaden this issue from maintaining leading zeros on CSV data import to maintaining them on any cell entry.)

465 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the post – and thanks to all those that are speaking with their votes – we’re listening. I’ll get someone on the team to take a look at this. As always, keep voting for things that matter to you – the things with the most votes will tend to get prioritized higher on our side.

Thanks,
          John [MS XL]

• Stop Excel from changing large "numbers" (actually text values) to scientific notation.

Prevent Excel from changing large "numbers" (actually text values) to scientific notation.

442 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

84 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the post Caleb. As some folks in the comments mention, you can change the format of the cell to Text before the paste. But even so, it’s clear that there’s some user pain around this experience. We hear you and we’ll evaluate how we can do a better job here. As always, we’ll spend the most time/attention on the things with the most votes, so please keep voting for things you want the most.

Best,
            John [MS XL]

• Make a simple safer version of VLOOKUP and INDEX MATCH

The majority of Excel users use VLOOKUP to get exact matches from a row or column, It would be good if they all used INDEX MATCH but it's more complex so how about this simpler version for the masses.

=GETMATCH(ReferenceToMatch, MatchColumn/Row, GetColumn/Row, Optional Value if no match)

If seen a few other references to updating VLOOKUPS and there are lots of opportunities, but it would be good to address the simple most widely used issue first.

330 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

81 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Give us a proper NULL() worksheet function.

This would make calculations and charts treat a cell containing a formula as a blank cell, not as a cell with a text string ("") or as a zero.

298 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion – thanks again for taking the time to put it on this site and for the thoughtful followup comments. This is pretty related to some other work we’ve got going and already has a fair number of votes, so we’ll work on getting plans in place now and hope to get started on this soon.

Thanks,
                John [MS XL]

• Link the min and max values of a chart axis to cell value

It would be nice to be able to link the min and/or max value of an chart axis to a cell reference instead of manual enter the value or the auto function.

281 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add icons for font superscript and subscript so we can put them on the QAT

Word has direct access (with icons) on the ribbon for subscripting and superscripting characters, but Excel can do so only via the Home...Font menu item. Scientists and engineers need to use subscript and superscript characters when writing mathematical and chemical formulas. Please copy the subscript and superscript icons in Word, and make them available to the Customize QAT feature.

257 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Brad – great idea and it’s also one we’ve heard from some of our student users. We’ll take a look at the issue. Please keep voting up the things that are most important!

Thanks,
                    John [MS XL]

• Make Undo stacks track per workbook instead of globally

Undo stacks are currently global between all workbooks that are open at a given time, so pressing undo on one workbook might undo a change in a different workbook. As someone who frequently has multiple workbooks open at a time, it would be much more helpful to be able to step through the edits made on each individual workbook.

248 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Enable user to pin Folders to the recent lists for Open and Save As

** Please bring back functionality from the old Microsoft Office suites (not just xls).

** For alphabetic sorting of files in the recent lists, please don't vote here. Instead, see https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10261443-recent-files-pane-in-excel-2013-was-pretty-good-b

Specifically: it is useful to have a list of recently-accessed folders from which to open files. Such folders were available on the older versions of Microsoft (MS) Office, but not in the 2016 “upgrade”. (i.e. MS Office 2016 contains only a list of the recently opened files.)

Constantly having to navigating BACK to a recently used folder to open / save a file is very annoying.

I'm not the…

223 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Visually show which cells are selected even when another application has focus

Currently, when I select one or more cells and then switch to another application, the boundary box and shading for the selected cells are not shown. Other Office applications exhibit this behavior as well--selection highlighting is only displayed when the program has focus. Many (most?) non-Office applications show the highlighting at all times.

It would be far more useful to be able to glance at the spreadsheet and see which cells are selected, even when working in another program.

205 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion E Bow. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about changes you’d like to see – we’re listening. We’ll take a look at this one. As always, folks should keep voting for the things they like the most – we’ll generally be prioritizing things according to the number of votes they get.

Cheers,
                          John [MS XL]

• 193 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

87 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Maintain copied data on the clipboard even if the "dancing ants" aren't shown around the copied range (Copy-paste clipboard persistence)

If I copy [ctrl-c] a cell, then type in another cell, then try pasting, no result. No paste. It would be nice if Excel would maintain the copied data on the clipboard even after the dancing ants no longer appeared, so that I could paste that data.

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - updated idea title and description to be clearer)

189 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion Jamie8848 – we’re listening. I posted a comment as well, and welcome people pile on/suggest cases they care more/less about (as some others are doing in this thread already). We’ll keep an eye on this one, particularly since it seems to be making its way up the charts. I encourage people to keep voting for it if they want to see this behavior changed.

Thanks,
                              John [MS XL]

• Unselecting cells when using Ctrl to select multiple cells

When using Ctrl to select multiple cells, we can't unselect a cell when it was misclicked. Instead, we have to click these cells all over again. Please allow us to unselect cells!

183 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We generally try to prioritize things according to the number of votes they get – so please be sure to vote for things you want to see done sooner.

Thanks,
                                John [MS XL]

• Built-in RegEx / Regular Expressions Functions to Search, Extract, and Replace

I've constantly found myself installing and re-installing add-ins that add RegEx Functions to Excel. Everyone I introduce them too finds them extremely useful. There's over half a million results in google for the query ["excel" ("regular expression" OR "regex")].

176 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells.

If there's a really tall or wide cell, Excel jumps to the edge of the cell when scrolling past that area. This is a big pain when, for example:
                                  - trying to position a shape
                                  - Trying to grab the edge of the row or column in order to resize it.

Excel should just scroll normally without jumping.

175 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Oz! I personally couldn’t agree more. As Dan mentioned in the comments, we’ve got a bunch of other Excel endpoints behaving this way already, and this is on our longer term roadmap. We’ll evaluate excelerating (that’s my pun for the day) getting it done in the Windows versions sooner based on the number of votes it gets – so keep the votes coming!

Best,
                                    John [MS XL]

• VLOOKUP function for multiple criteria

There should be a *VLOOKUPS function (or you name it) alongside VLOOKUP to find data based on multiple criteria. I know there are workarounds like INDEX and MATCH but they are unnecessarily complicated considering COUNTIFS and SUMIFS functions do a neat job at counting and adding multiple criteria. And please make it so it works with unsorted data.

162 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We’re seeing a number of different posts about lookup functions – we’ll be taking a close look at this area and thinking it through. We’ll prioritize the asks according to votes along with other requests on the site. So I encourage people to keep voting if it’s something they really want to see the priority raised on.

Best,
                                      John [MS XL]

• Enable collaboration with others editting in Excel desktop

In Word and PowerPoint you can collaborate from the desktop as well as online. In excel, whenever anyone opens the document on desktop others get locked out of editing and can only view. This is a problem for our organisation since occasionally remote team members need to edit the file on desktop but failure to close down the document properly (either accidentally or because the OS somehow did not release the file lock which has happened on Mac's) means the entire team is suddenly unable to work for extended periods until we track down the culprit.

160 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

As Guy mentioned, we are working on this now. It’s a lot of work, so it’s not going to be done super-quick, but rest assured that this is something the team is focused on.

Note: We’d still love to get votes for this request if it’s important to you.

Thanks,
                                        Dan [MS]

• IP Address as a datatype.

I would love to see IP Addresses added as a format option and functions added for validation of the IP addresses..

For instance InSubnet(Network as IP,Netmask as Integer,address as IP) to determine if an IP is within a Subnet;

Being able to do addition/subtraction on the field would be awesome as well!

156 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Alex, and thanks to those that making their vote heard. This is a pretty interesting ask – take a look at the comment I made. I’d like us to understand a few related things. And as always, please keep voting for the things you care about most.

Cheers,
                                          John [MS XL]

• Add ability to collapse field areas in PivotTable Field and Area Side by Side view

With the ability/normal experience of creating many DAX measures in Power Pivot, the Values area of the PivotTable design is now too small to use effectively. Since the Values area only shows about 4 rows it's really difficult to organize fields correctly when try to drag fields around if you've got 10 or more fields in your Values area. (not at all uncommon for Power Pivot users, although certainly not restricted to them.)

With the introduction of slicers, however, we also tend to use the Report Filter area less, and don't usually add as many fields to the row/column areas.

151 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Ken,

Thanks for logging this one, and thanks to others for voting this up.. We’ve actually had this on our list to get to for some time and have been balancing doing this against other… The more the community helps us rank it higher, the better the signal on overall importance… so, for those that haven’t voted for this but want it, do vote!

thanks
                                            ash [MS XL]

← Previous 1 3 4 5 85 86
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
                                          • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
                                          • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
                                          • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
                                          • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
                                          • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.