Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. spell check

As ms word is having spell check function, i suggest you to add the same to MS Excel

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • removing sexist algorithms

Please can you allow "Mrs. and Mr." to be written in excel without excel autocorrecting to "Mrs. And Mr." because the traditional rules state that the man is first. I am writing letters to donors and I always put the donor in the first position and the associated donor in the second. Excel only auto capitalizes the "and" when it is in the Mrs. and Mr. position. This is a pain that it was written into the algorithm. And sexist. Thanks.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You are able to set the rules for when Office should not change the first letter of a sentence to a capital. You can add to the list of abbreviations which should behave as exceptions to the option “Capitalize first letter of sentences”.

Add “Mrs.” to the list of exceptions by these steps:
        1. In Word, type “Mrs. and Mr.” and after it capitalizes “And”, backspace and fix it so that it’s lowercase “and”. This will add “Mrs.” as an exception so that the next word you type will no longer by capitalized.
        2. Quit Word and restart Excel.

or
        1. In Excel or Word, go to File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options… > Exceptions.
        2. Type “mrs.” in the text field and click “Add”.
        3. Click Ok, Ok, Ok.

• Allow single spreadsheet to be opened in multiple windows

My suggestion is to allow a single workbook to be opened in multiple windows. For example, I have a spreadsheet with two tabs. Formulas on one tab reference cells on a the other tab. If I were able to open each tab simultaneously in its own window, I would be able to much more easily and quickly edit and troubleshoot a spreadsheet. This would be especially useful if one were using two or more monitors.

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add the BANG function for statistics Please

The ! (pronounced BANG) function is useful in statistics. If for example I
          have 5! it means 5*4*3*2*1. When calculating odds it is a slick way of making calculations less complex.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • please make a way for test boxes to snap to the grid

please make a way for test boxes to snap to the grid

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • 1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is possible in Excel already today. To quickly export to PDF, click on File > Export > Create PDF.

You can also add this to your QAT by:
                1. On the QAT, click the drop down, choose More Commands
                2. Find the item called “Save As Other Formats (with the arrow to the right)” in the list of “All Commands”
                3. Click Add >>; then OK.

Now you’ll have a drop down on your QAT where you can choose PDF.

Hope that helps,
                Dan [MS]

• Be able to select rows and columns and simply click DO NO SORT

It is a massive ball ache sorting when it should not be this aggravating. Maybe I'm being stupid and there is a simple solution already, but I can't find it online and I can't figure it out myself.
                My annoyance is that I generally need to sort when I have multiple rows with text for headers, and some boxes need merging.

I'll explain because some people say "do not merge", but this isn't always helpful.
                Current excel spreadsheet I'm working on.
                I included a picture of my spreadsheet so you can see. I want those top 3 rows to never…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

You can achieve what you’re asking for by inserting a blank row between rows 3 and 4 (where you don’t want any sorting to happen above the blank row).

You can then make the row height very small (1px or so) so it doesn’t take up room on your sheet.

Then, when you sort the content in your table, it won’t sort the headers.

Hope that helps,
                  Dan [MS]

• transfer pinned programs and documents pinned to programs when upgrading MS Office

automatically transfer the pinned programs and the documents pinned to programs when upgrading MS Office

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Pinned documents are based on the account you log in to Office with, so as long as you log in with the same account, they should “transfer” between Office versions.

Cheers,
                    Dan [MS]

• Associate XML file with Excel

Update Office so that one of the opening options for XML files is Excel. Currently, when you open an XML file, it opens in Internet Explorer, and is unreadable

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported. To open XML files with Excel, you can:

1. Right click on the file in Windows Explorer
                      2. Choose “Open with…”
                      3. Select Excel from the list or browse for Excel.
                      4. Optionally, select the box to “Always use this application to open XML files”

That should do it.

Cheers,
                      Dan [MS]

• Hello, i have a need to round values up in the example "roundup say 6.2 or 6.3 to 7"

Is there a way to round up any fraction of a positive integer to the next positive integer - e,g, 6.1 to 7?

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Be able to pastspecial the content (basically the code) of a specific Cell without entering in the cell and select/copy the line

For example if the content in Cell A1=SUM(B1:C1), you should be to paste this content: "=SUM(B1:C1)" where you want, for example in Cell A5, without locking cells. It could be useful when we have to copy and paste formulas from a workbook to another one (without the problem of REF)

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Simone,

You can do this in Excel already today. Instead of copying the entire cell (by selecting the cell in the grid), double click on the cell to enter edit mode, select the formula, and copy it.

Paste that into the destination and it won’t adjust.

Cheers,
                          Dan [MS]

• Center Wrapped Text Without Left Offset that Occurs Now

When you Wrap Text in a cell in excel and center, the text is distinctly further to the left whether or not there is any wrapping occurring, not centered as it would be if you manually spit the text into two cells and used the built-in centering.

Make wrapped text center without the offset.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported.

After you wrap text in a cell, click on the “Align Center” button, and the text will align in the middle of the cell

Cheers,
                            Dan [MS]

• Allow more than 1 instance in Excel 2016

Can you please bring back the ability to open more than 1 instance of Excel? Currently when I have a macro running, I am unable to utilize Excel because of this new setup. In the older versions of Excel, it was nice to be able to choose how many instances you wanted to open.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported. To start a new Excel instance, press Windows+R (Run), then type “Excel /x” without quotes.

You’ll get a new process that will be isolated from other Excel instances.

Cheers,
                              Dan [MS]

• colour cells

Be able to calculate the occurrences of cells with coloured background.

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Amy,

This is already possible in Excel today.

1. Press Ctrl+F to open the find dialog.
                                2. Click “Advanced”
                                3. Click on the “Format” button and select the format (cell colour) you want to count
                                4. Click Find All

The find dialog will list the count of occurrences of that formatting that you selected.

Cheers,
                                Dan [MS]

• quick analysis improvements

We need better sum and subtract quick analysis features that include the number in an existing cell rather than paste to a new cell reference. Especially helpful would be the ability to quickly subtract some positive values from another.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

You can do this already.

1. Copy the values you want to subtract from other values.
                                  2. Select the range you want to subtract those values from and choose Paste Special > Subtract

Cheers,
                                  Dan [MS]

• need new workbook copy protection

We need a higher level of workbook and worksheet protection perhaps set to the user ids own computer and allowed devices. This way excel documents with hidden formulas, code etc can be shared to people outside that network without worrying about special details (secrets) getting into the wrong hands. Currently workbook passwords can be unlocked with code, etc.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

There are two ways to get strong encryption and protection of Excel files:

1. DRM (Click on File > Info > Protect Workbook > Restrict Access) can be used to only allow certain users to access a file.

2. Workbook Protection (Click on File > Info > Protect Workbook > Encrypt with Password) can be used to encrypt a file. When set, only users with the password can open the file to see the contents.

Cheers,
                                    Dan [MS]

• Be able to turn off auto-conversion of fractions and words into dates

When I import data in the format of a fraction #/#, excel automatically converts this into a date. This is unnecessary and should not be a default operation. At least, there should be a simple way to undo this.

I work with biological data, and there are gene names like "Oct1", and these get converted into dates, causing errors in data analysis.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
                                      You can do this already in Excel today – there are two ways:

1. You can type an apostrophe before the data you enter → ’Oct1, and Excel will then not interpret that as a date (it will interpret it as Text).

2. If you format the cell as Text before typing the value in the cell, Excel will not interpret it as a date.

Hope that helps,
                                      Dan [MS]

• Allow me to insert things like 1-9 without automatically correcting to the date.

basically what the title says. This is a thorn in my side, as there's no existing type of cell format for this input.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

You can do this already in Excel today – there are two ways:

1. You can type an apostrophe before the data you enter → ’1-9, and Excel will then not interpret that as a date (it will interpret it as Text).

2. If you format the cell as Text before typing the value in the cell, Excel will not interpret it as a date.

Hope that helps,
                                        Dan [MS]

• Allow a value from the data be added as a label within a chart in Excel

When creating a chart in Excel, allow user to be able to add as a "text box" anywhere in the chart a value from a calculation of the data anywhere within the file.

6 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • 1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported in Excel. To clear a print area
                                            1. Click anywhere on the worksheet for which you want to clear the print area.
                                            2. On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click Clear Print Area.

You can see these steps here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/define-or-clear-a-print-area-on-a-worksheet-2e5992fa-f201-41a1-9f39-370ff14deca1?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#bmclearprintarea

You can see this visualized here: http://www.solveyourtech.com/how-clear-print-area-excel-2010/

Cheers,
                                            Dan [MS]

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base