Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Grouping/Outlining [-] Button should be at the top (or both bottom and top)

Currently, when you group rows using the grouping and outlining feature, the [-] toggle for the group shows up only at the last row of the group. This means that after you click on the [+] button, the [-] doesn't replace the [+] button but shows up at the bottom of the list. This requires the user to scroll down to find the bottom row of the group and click on [-]. And then scroll back up to find the top row again.

When quickly expanding and contracting groups, it would require a lot less mouse movement and scrolling if…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already doable using the outlining options. Additionally – you can click anywhere on the outlining line to expand/collapse.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

2. Columns

At the moment the worksheet columns only have the corresponding letter at the top. If it were to somehow have the corresponding number equivalent many VB users would appreciate it.
    How it could work - while mouse is hovering over the Letter "Z" would display a "26" and so on.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already possible, using R1C1-style references. To enable them,

1. Go to File > Options > Formulas.
    2. Under “Working with formulas”, check the “R1C1 reference style” check box

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

3. Bring back the Split Box

You used to have a split box above/to the side of the scroll bars. This went in 2013 for some reason - there was no justification:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Discontinued-features-and-changed-functionality-in-Excel-2013-c417e377-26c6-4f43-be6d-16718dd75ffa#__toc342560933

Please can we have this back?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While the split control is no longer above the scroll bars, it is still available in Excel. To add it to your Ribbon or QAT, you can:

1. Start Excel
    2. File > Options > Customize (QAT or Ribbon)
    3. Choose commands from “All Commands”
    4. Find the “Split Window” command
    5. Add it to your QAT (or to the ribbon).

Hope that helps!

Dan [MS]

4. Can't Paste Link with New Excel 2016 Chart Types

Created Chart with one of new Excel 2016 Chart Types
    Want to Paste Link into Word document
    But Paste Link is grayed out
    Created different Chart with a different one of the new Excel 2016 Chart Types
    Same result - Paste Link is grayed out
    Created different Chart with one of the old Chart Types and Past Link is there

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Paste Link is the default for the new chart types in Office 2016 and its the only option right now. As such, the chart pasted into Word should update if the data in the source Excel document is changed. Currently, the new chart types do not support Embedding the entire workbook.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

5. Navigation by using arrows in waterfall chart doesn't work and it rather moves the actual chart

Navigation by using arrows in waterfall chart doesn't work and it rather moves the actual chart

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Navigation of the new chart types is supported but the model has changed. The arrow keys are now used for nudging.

The new model is the following. When a chart is selected, hit “Enter” to move the selection to the top level parent objects within the chart. Use the “Tab” key to cycle through each of the parent objects. To get to the children of the parent object; e.g. data points in the series, hit the “Enter” key, then continue traversing the child items with the “Tab” key.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

6. Ability to open multiple instances of Excel instead of opening just new window in the same instance (enable SDI)

In Excel 2010 I was able to open a new instance of excel when one instance was busy running VBA macros which take a long time. In this new instance I was able to open other spreadsheets without a problem and work with them while the other instance was busy running VBA macros. Now in excel 2016 if I open a new excel while one of them is running I only get a new windows in the same instance and this window is also busy and I'm not able to open a new spreadsheet to work in while the other…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Borut,

This is already supported – you can start a new Excel instance (process) by doing the following:

1. Click Start (or Windows Key+R)
    2. Type “Excel /x” (without quotes)
    3. (or Run)

That should start up a new instance of Excel. You can use it to open a second file that won’t “block” on already open workbooks.

Cheers
    ,Dan [MS]

7. Bring back the remove Hyperlink button

Please bring back the "Remove Hyperlink" button on the right click cell menu.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Kill formulas from calc, reverse of F9

Kill formula calc; reverse of F9 hotkey and/or toolbar button

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add a search field in Customize the Ribbon

It is hard to find commands when you don't know how they are named.

A search box that filters all commands for a given phrase would be very helpful.

E.g. when I enter "shape" in that search box I want to see only commands that contains "shape" anywhere in there name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Andreas,

This is already supported. In the ribbon, you’ll see a lightbulb icon with the text “Tell me what you want to do.” If you type the command you want to perform there, it will filter all commands (like “Shape”) and show you a list of the relevant ones.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

10. Chart - logrithmic scale

Please allow for charting using a log scale (not in v2010). Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. There needs to be a "track changes" button like the one on Microsoft word.

Word has an icon and ability to track changes to your document. This needs to be installed on Excel instead of leaving comments. This makes it easy to work with when sending an excel document to other people.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There is already a track changes button on the Review tab of the ribbon (enable it by first selecting “share workbook”).

However, selecting this item does limit the types of changes you can make in your workbook, so you may find that it’s not as useful as you’d like.

Longer term, we want to build a system that tracks changes made by users via a service so that you can go back to any point in time in a spreadsheet’s life.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

12. Merge Cells - Allow User to Change the Default Merge Cells Format

Instead of always merging AND centering, I would rather it maintain the formatting of the original cell that contains the data. More often than not, if the original cell is formatted as left justified prior to merging then I want it left justified after the merge as well.

If this isn't possible, then at least allow me to change what it defaults to in the home excel options as well as give me more standard options to choose from. Or allow me to create my own combinations of merge and format combinations to default to.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi jf,

We’ve got this in Excel today! :-)

Instead of hitting “Merge & Center” on the ribbon, click the drop down arrow beside it and choose “Merge Cells.”

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

13. I teach statistics why can't I have a "Mean" function.

It would be easier to type and would tie-into Stats language. This is so easy. A function labeled "MEAN".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. CINT, CSTRING, CDOUBLE as Formulas

You can do it in VBA, can we just have it as a formula to avoid txt to number drama.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make an option to disable sounds

Because dings are annoying. And you can't disable excel volume in the volume mixer in windows taskbar.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow VLookup to accept functions e.g. Max($B$1:$B$10)

Allow VLookup/HLookup to accept functions e.g. MAX($B$1:$B$10) as the look up value. It currently returns #REF! whether using exact or approximate value.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Open new excel documents in new windows so that window management actually works

Opening a document will not create a new window, and navigating multiple excel sheets is a pain. Please add an option to open all new documents as separate windows.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. date format is impossible to change

When typing in a date such as this: "7/15" it is impossible to make this value show up in a new worksheet as 7/15/currentYear in a format I want. It will always show up as "15-jul" or "dd-mmm". Yes, the date will be correct, it will also be correct for the USA, but it's not in a visual format that I like and I have to manually change the cell format because there's no universal way to make this setting.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported in Excel today. Right click the cell, select Format Cells > Number tab > Date, and then choose the date format you’d like.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

20. Bring back the ability to design your own button image

Excel 2003 & prior allowed the user to add a button to their toolbar and then edit/redesign the image thereon by changing the colour of the pixels. However, since XL2007 users are limited to a very poor choice of fixed images that requires an obscure mind to relate them to any macro they create!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base