Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I would like to be able to protect a cell and copy its calculated content to a word document currently from what I can tell is you cannot

I have created a spreadsheet to calculate phrases and numbers from America to SI and would like to protect the cells calculation and copy the result to another program or word doc. I have a poor workaround where I point to the cell that has the Calculation in column L of the attached file which is unprotect but it easy to lose the formula as you copy the result which is a pain for a person that does little with excel if there is a work around or you make this possible PLEASE! let me know at Joseph.Dyer@usda.gov We have…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bookmarks for Help topics

It would be great to be able to bookmark my favorite Help topics so that I can easily find seldom used features.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Easy dynamic charts using dynamic arrays

Dynamic arrays are great! Please let us use them (in chart series) for dynamic charting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow inserting of visio files in excel.

I would like to insert a file that is a visio data file so I can click it later and look at it in Visio. Right now when I tried to insert the object it said failed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. The help in excel for insert a file is for the old version of excel Please update this

The help in excel for insert a file is for the old version of excel. Please update this. When I do a search for insert a file the answer should be for the version of excel I'm using.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. To make it possible to determine the bounds of a chart by cells for upper and lower

To make it possible to determine the bounds of a chart by cells for upper and lower levels. Most charts will look more interesting when lower bound is always zero. Especially advantageous when input for charts will differ (stocks)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Excel Assistant that can work on voice commands

Excel needs a assistant that can work on commands like filtering and selecting data with voice commands so it will be easy to filter and it will save time. and if it is possible please build a excel's own AI assistant so it will be much more easy if it can learn and do the same work next time

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Sticky Notes should work in all Office applications

Sticky Notes should work in all Office applications

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow subtotals as part of the footer

There should be an option to allow running subtotals per page in the footer/header. Right now there's no way to be able to total any column as a running total without having to manually enter the formula at the bottom of each page, and when adding/removing rows this would be moving around quite a bit.

Simple idea: Allow to select a column or range that has a total at the bottom of each page; preferably with an option to having running total or per-page total.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. a handler to define boundaries of the work area

many users use only left top area of an excel sheet compared to its huge breadth and depth. it is not necessary to fall full length down south to Antarctica or go to far east. if we can flexible (draggable) boundary in right side and bottom side of the sheet, it will be handy.
    optionally you may put two inputboxesto include limitations by no of columns and rows

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Excel VBA 2001-12425 UserInterfaceOnly:= True has partial effect on letting Macros change protected sheets

Reference a previous suggestion, https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/11050386-worksheet-protection-userinterfaceonly-setting-s , the VBA function seems to be broken. Although set for specific worksheets at Workbook_open, macro execution get blocked on relevant sheets because protection is set. The password is uniform across the workbook, so still needing to execute a slowing unprotect, which risks the sheet become accessible for modification if the relevant macro fails.

Oddly, unless the UserInterfaceOnly is set during Workbook open, the ,UserInterFaceOnly:=only is declared illegal in the relevant module while reprotecting the sheet during code compiling.

Edit: Specifically, of the various cases, a Run-time Error '3000' occurs when working with tables on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Table Names: Scope to Worksheet not Workbook

Allow table names to be scoped to the worksheet rather than have them scoped to the Workbook.

Your current 'workbook' scope implementation means that for similar worksheets I have to come up different table names to prevent them from clashing

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. How to recover 7zip password?

eSoftTools 7z Password Recovery Software can easily recover 7z file password with the help of Brute force Attack, mask Attack, and Dictionary Attack. This tool gives the full ability to the user to unlock 7z files passwords that are created with any combination of characters like- English, non-English, and special character. In addition, you can use a free demo version and analyze how the software works. It can support all 7z files and all versions of Windows OS and which can provide the first three letters of a password-free of cost.

Get more info:- https://www.esofttools.com/7z-password-recovery.html

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Positive number in cell should have an assumed + in front of it.

If a cell has a positive number in it, we shouldn't have to enter a "+" in front of the number prior to changing the cell to a formula. Example: Cell currently has a 5 in it. To append the cells contents with "-4" I shouldn't have to enter a + in front of the 5. 5-4 should be a valid formula, just like +5+4.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please redo the UI of the File/Open page

In Excel, when I use Ctrl-O to open a file, the rightmost column (with previously used files) has its own vertical scrollbar, separate from the scrollbar for the File/Open page itself (I don't typically use Excel maximized). Because the middle column has a huge fixed width, I need to use the page's horizontal scroll to get access to the embedded vertical scoll for the previously used list.

Please redo this UI so that 1) the middle column is resizeable, and/or 2) there is only one vertical scroll bar (the scroll bar for the page). To be clear, for option 2,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add functionality to sort by second, third, etc. word

Add ability to sort by other than the first charcters in a cell.

For example, a list of first and last names could be sorted by last name by sorting on the second word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Reverse FIND and SEARCH functions to search from the right

Add functionality using the start_num as negative to search from the end of the string.

FIND("123","123123",-1) would return 4
    FIND("M","Miriam McGovern",-1) would return 8

This would help in parsing filenames that include paths, for example.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)