Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PowerQuery should recognise international (Unicode) web addresses

This website uses an accented character:
    https://www.kalóriaguru.hu
    I can use the old Get Data from Web Legacy Wizard providing I add the Magyar language pack to Windows . Powerquery returns "Bad request" unless I translate the address to Punycode
    xn--kalriaguru-ibb.hu
    Allow the end-user to enter their web site address as they know it without having to translate it into American. Sure, doing it in code is no problem, and I'd use VBA, but this is for users who don't know code.
    Technet link:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d3e2608-0f2f-4735-95a4-b03d60e16e35/excel-365-powerquery-error-400-bad-request

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. your new search bar needs to be able to find functions as I type. I type in "vloo" it doesn't add vlookup to the list of items listed

The new search box at the top is really great; however, it doesn't anticipate what I want as I type very well. When I type "vloo" I would think vlookup would be an option below, but I have to type the whole function "vlookup" before it shows up.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Cells More Visible by Highlighting Them

Make it possible to highlight a cell so that when I leave the spreadsheet and go back to it is easier to find where I left off

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. provide a way to comment on previous suggestions in this suggestion box not just vote :)

This Suggestion Box is a great Idea.

But., we need a way to express our views on Previous Suggestions.

Voting is Nice; But, Clarifying and Justifying are better :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. HEY **** FACES- STOP COVERING THE ******* DOCUMENT WITH YOUR CRAPWARE DIALOG BOXES.

HEY **** FACES- STOP COVERING THE ******* DOCUMENT WITH YOUR CRAPWARE DIALOG BOXES.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. STOP TURNING OFF THE FUCKING_NUMLOCK. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

STOP TURNING OFF THE FUCKING_NUMLOCK. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Value.timestampMs.2

1531785519996 is the tmestamp i'm trying to convert into actual date and time

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Office update does not work at all on metered network

Fix this bug. It has been reported online sine 2016. I click the 'upgrade now' button. Process notices i have a metered network and asks me if i want to continue. I say 'yes'. Process instantly dies, disappears. But, i apy for a subscrsiption, and i want to update. Why do you let this important bug languish?? Here is a post from 2016, exact problem i have now. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d6f384ff-fefc-4113-bdda-4133e9b13233/office-365-updates-dont-download-for-metered-connections?forum=Office2016setupdeploy

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Can a date/time stamp along with the user info be allowed to be shown for each cell that is edited (populated)?

I want to be able to hover over a cell and get a sense of who/when it was updated. I can possibly modify global properties within the worksheet/spreadsheet to be able to view it or turn it off.
    I often make edits within a spreadsheet that stores date/time based information ( e.g. FF miles or Hotel points ) and then have to put a date on the cell ( next to it ) to remind me the date of edits.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow Pivot Table "Merge & Center" option to be toggled per field in the field settings

Currently for Pivot Tables, you are only able to toggle "Merge and center cells with labels" for the entire report. In practice, we usually only want to merge and center the header fields.

This could be easily solved if there is an option under each field setting, similar to how you are allowed to change other layout options individually for each field currently. I imagine it shouldn't be too much work to follow the same logic as what's already in place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. stop trying to guess what ******* formula I am using in new cells. You don't know what formula I want next. STAY THE **** OUT OF MY WAY.

stop trying to guess what ******* formula I am using in new cells. You don't know what formula I want next. STAY THE **** OUT OF MY WAY.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add Table Tool Tips

With so many similar looking tables in the worksheet, it's hard to keep track of which table I am editing.

Why not add a worksheet or workbook option to show table tooltips, and when you hover over the edge of a table, a tooltip displays the table name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Function to protect the entire workbook from edit/save but not from editing only.

This function would allow you to edit/sort/compute/highlight anything normally but would prevent you from accidentally saving (or autosaving) unless you specifically disabled the function first.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make Table Name Box Resizable

It is helpful to be able to see and rename a table in the Table Design tab. But the Table Name box shows only about 12 characters.

Why not add a small arrow in the right corner of the Table Name section, and when clicked, show the Table Properties in a larger and more readable (and resizable) form?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Remove password from 7z file

remove password from the 7-zip file without any failure by the use of eSoftTools 7-zip password recovery software. this tool can able to restore all password configuration through mask attack, brute force attack and dictionary attack.

Get More:- https://www.esofttools.com/7z-password-recovery.html

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Breaking change in Selection.Group

Hi,

with the last update as of 08/12/2019 you apparently rolled out a breaking change in the naming convention of generated group fields in pivot tables.

Here a macro fragment that throws now an exception 1004, "Unable to get the PivotFields property of the PivotTable class"

ActiveWorkbook.RefreshAll

'regroup date values (first of this month to first of next month, as the report is per yesterday, take always -1 day)
    Range("A4").Select
    Selection.Group _
    Start:=CLng(DateSerial(Year(Date - 1), Month(Date - 1), 1)), _
    End:=CLng(DateSerial(Year(Date - 1), Month(Date - 1) + 1, 1)), _
    Periods:=Array(False, True, True, True, True, False, True)
    Range("A4").Select
    '20190812: Microsoft…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. move rows

Make moving rows more like Google Sheets. It is a lot easier in Sheets. I can click and hold the row and move it to another spot between 2 others.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Option to Choose Pivot Field at Source Filtered Data

Hi, there
    At source Data table, In case of large data set, If a user decide or visualise and select which fields should be used to generate pivot table + the result of that field !! - Currently there is no option, I suggest to have this tab to be added at source database filter itself, At Advance Tab named as "Advance PT Source Field Chooser" further Pivot should use only those field as source to generate Report Result, which will reduce the file size or provide Expand,Collapse result, each selected field should be displayed with column Serial no and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base