Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. More/Custom QAT icons

It would be great if we could get more icon choices for our QAT buttons. Excel already has a huge library of 16px icons, yet we only have access to 20-30 of them. Most of the time none of the icons make sense with the macro task I put up there.

Get rid of the "Green circle" filler icon and at least let us pick our own icon from the available choices. It is a pain having a bunch of green circle buttons in the QAT at once and defeats the purpose of being able to visually pick out a…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Case Sensitive Date Format Rules

I wish the cell formatting rules for dates were case sensitive. For example, the rule "MMM" outputs "Jan" instead of "JAN"

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Macro Relative Reference Option More Visible

When recording a macro using the Use Relative References option, the change in the icon is too subtle to easily tell if the option is active or not. Instead of the very faint border around the icon, make it more evident when the option is active or inactive.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Creation of PPT slides directly from excel Sheet

Hi All,

I would like to see a new feature in excel, where from just one click we can export the excel sheet , charts ,objects in powerpoint slides.

Regards,
    Rajender

99 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to share your suggestion to create PowerPoint slides directly from an Excel Sheet!

This this suggestion does has merit; however, we don’t expect to devote time to it in the near future. We will continue tracking votes and comments here, and will keep this suggestion under consideration for future development.

Thank you again,
    Auston [MSFT]

5. Why not have the slider appear at the top of the embeded form so that it's not necessary to scrol it up to start reading.

Why not have the slider appear at the top of the embeded form so that it's not necessary to scroll up to start reading.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop Copy & Paste overwriting Data Validation

When you have data validation on a cell, a drop down list for example. A user can circumvent all of this by either copying and pasting into the cell or when dragging from other cells numbers can increment and therefore render the data validation, invalid. A user should not be able to copy and paste values which are not in the validation.

142 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make vertical alignment default to top of cell

If any column has text wrapping applied, top of cell formatting makes data much easier to read, both on screen and printed version (especially if there are no borders)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Group/ungroup columns and/or rows in multiple sheets at the same time

If we have multiple sheets that have the same amount of rows/columns and we need to group/ungroup certain rows/columns, we should be able to do this in one easy step. Currently we have to group/ungroup information on one sheet at a time and it's very time consuming.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Minimum Row Height

I can currently set the row height to be automatic or set it to a fixed height. When working with tables which contain text, this often leads to a mishmash where rows are randomly one, two and sometimes three rows of text tall. This looks sloppy. I can manually review and set the row height for each row, but why should I have to.

I should be able to set the row height to a minimum value. If the row needs to be taller to fully display a cell with wrapped text, then the row height should automagically increase. This…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow Decimal Indent Formatting and on Both Ends Simultaneously

The current indent formatting uses only whole numbers. I use it often when cells contain a block of text because having the text hit both the left and right cell borders makes it harder to read.

Unfortunately, I can only apply the indent to one edge of the cell (usually the left) and an indent of 1 is too big.

In a better world, I would left indent the chunk of text and apply two decimal values to provide white space along the left and right edges of the cell. The result would look better and be easier to read.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Have cursor default to Search cell in Filters.

Using Filters is a two step process. Click on the Filter dropdown arrow and then selecting the type of filter desired, i.e. Search or Custom. I find that a vast majority of my filter needs use just the search function so having the cursor default to the search cell would allow me to click just once prior to typing the search criteria's vs. twice. Users desiring to use the other filter features would still by required to click a second time for their desired function and since this is no different from the current number of clicks, no harm, no…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Slicers - override the pick list

Slicers are a great addition! Currently, slicers get their pick list from the Table / Pivot Table, of course. I'd like to be able to override this with a list of my own - from a range of cells.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Array Formula - allow us to type the curly braces instead of CSE (and make them persistent when i edit formula!)

currently we have to use Ctrl-Shift-Enter. What an odd concept. Please make array formulas easy to enter just like any other formula. Either let us type in the curly braces, or add something like ARRAYFORMULA(......). At least, PLEASE make the array formula persistent. Currently if I (or any other user) even looks at the formula, they can easily break it just by pressing enter.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Pin newly opened files to visual area (or just the upper left hand corner)

I open my excel to cross over multiple screens, but when i open a file its a crap shoot as to where it appears across the screens. I know the file is open as I can see it in the list of open files but beats me where it is. I have to go to "View/Arrange All" and then vertical to be able to find the file. But doing that moves all my other files that I have placed in my work area for a reason.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Record notes on a Pivot Table that transfer back to the source data

My team frequently adds notes in the first column to the right of pivot tables to document actions taken on that particular line item. If the data is sorted or filtered, those notes are lost. I would love the ability to add a blank "Notes" field to a Pivot Table, and have whatever is inputted in that column transfer back to the source data.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Change Default Auto Fill Option

Currently Double Clicking the bottom right corner of a cell will Auto Fill down to the last populated row in a data sheet. However in doing so it defaults to 'Fill Series' e.g. 1,2,3,4... it would be great to set the default to, say, 'Copy Cells' e.g. 1,1,1,1...

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Go to Pivot table name

If I give an Excel-table a name, then I can use the Go-To function to find it. Why can’t I find named Pivot tables in the same list?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Grouping in Power Pivot reports

To be able to use Grouping in Power Pivot reports as is works in Pivottabels.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Vertical text in the footer/header as in Word

Make it possible to add vertical text on the page margin in the footer/header. For example, to have the path and file name standing along the edge of the paper while printing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Conditional formatting in charts

Add Conditional formatting in charts to control the colour of e.g. a bar or line, depending on the value or content of the data labels. Green if appels, Yellow if bananas and so on.

155 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to share your request for adding conditional formatting in charts!

While we think this suggestion has merit, we don’t expect to devote time to it in the near future. We will continue tracking votes and comments and will keep this suggestion under consideration for future development.

Thank you again, and please keep sharing your thoughts!
    Auston [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base