Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dynamic headings or additional header rows in tables

This is somewhat related to
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9647427-header-selection-while-sorting

I believe that table column headings should be dynamic (i.e. value determined by a formula), and if that's not possible, then we should at least be able to specify an arbitrary number of dynamic "subheadings". There are times that you have non-heading information that you want to put at the top of a table without having it as part of the heading. Examples include small notes or units.

A common approach that I take in tables is to have the user choose a unit to be put in the CONVERT function. That way, I…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create NETWORKHOURS as a new function

I would like to see a function that calculates hours worked over a period of Excel Dates that incorporates working hours and non-working hours as well as holidays and weekends parameters. This function could use similar logic to the NETWORDAYS.INTL function's use or holidays and weekends parameters.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "There is a large amount of information in the Clipboard". No, there isn't.

After copying a smallish range to the Clipboard, if we try to close Excel we get a "There is a large amount of information in the Clipboard, do you want to empty it?" dialog. This is the most unnecessary dialog in the history of computing. It might have made sense back in Excel 5.0 times, but most desktop computers now have at enough ram to comfortably fit way more than 40 cells in the clipboard. I'd suggest a significant increase in this threshold, or completely doing away with it.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. #REF aid

When Excel changes an element of a {cell,name,chart,DV,CF,..} formula to #REF and stores it, it obscures what it was. This makes it between difficult and impossible to rectify. Please make this friendly. Like being able to click on the #REF! to see what it was, or something like a string #REF!&"\This is what it was"
    Regards
    Brian

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Big dream of an idea - Would it be possible to integrate Excel, Word & PowerPoint, and/or Access/SQL??

At work I am doing database querying, popping this data into Excel for more flexible analysis, including preparing graphs and other calculations, creating nice formatted exhibits. I also then write up my analysis in Word, copy/paste the graphs and small number table exhibits created in Excel. And/or I create a PowerPoint presentation from the work done in Excel or the write-up done in Word.

All this copying & pasting is tedious, you lose formatting, and if anything changes, you have to do it all over again. I have found that linking all the content together just doesn't work. Plus, you…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. creating Layout of directory in excelsheet directly from your local hard drive

if it was possible that just with one click, we can create a Tree Grid Map of directory, which will give option of inducing sub folders & files with option of inserting hyperlink.

So that i don't have to open 7-8 sub folders before opening my files.

(nothing against VBA, its a great tool) if i create a directory using VBA it is not very beautiful..... i wish i could see small folders with little Expansion buttons it would be very great.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Animation in Excel Charts just like PPTs

In corporate world generally powerpoint presentations are used because they give option of animations.

in excel it is possible to do with VBA (to some extent) but still its very hard.

If it could be made possible to give animations in Charts/ areas (A1:G7) / Name ranges, it would be very useful for presenting data.

thanks for the forum. its really great. :)

Regards
    Sarvesh Prasad

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in the next round of planning. In the meantime, please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

11. Ordinal Number Format

How about an option to format as ordinal numbers, similar to what can be done in fields in word with *Ordinal

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Axis titles by default

I feel like axis titles and possibly the chart title should be turned on by default. My reasons are as follows:
    1. It is easier to get rid of titles that you do not want than to add titles that you do want.
    2. Any graph that is not quick and dirty requires titles to know what is being plotted.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Trace dependents to graphs and names

When I clean up others' workbooks, I use Trace Dependents to make sure that I can safely delete a value without messing up any part of the file. However, Trace Dependents does not go to graphs or names, so I have to manually check those.

I feel that Trace Dependents should trace anything that depends on the cell being traced, not just cells.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea. We’ll consider this in the next round of feature planning. In the meantime, please continue to vote on this idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

14. PivotTable-able crosstab data entry

PivotTables and data entry butt heads with each other.

Data is easiest to enter in a crosstab format (headings on rows and columns). The row and column headings eliminate having to specify them for each value.

For example, a fuel price table:

.........Canada..................................USA....................................
    .........Diesel...Gasoline...Propane...Diesel...Gasoline...Propane

If I want to specify $50 as the Canadian diesel price for 2013, I enter "$50" at the intersection of the correct headings.

However, to be able to use PivotTables, the data must be moved to "record" format (no row headings, only column (field) headings, and a lot of repeated information). This is…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Need a macro shortcut key manager

Please create a macro shortcut key manager! Right now, I have no way of knowing if Ctrl+k has been assigned to a macro, or what macro a shortcut key is assigned to (i.e. both directions are unknown). It would be very nice to have a table that you could edit and track down what macro shortcut keys you have assigned to what macros. I consider not having this utility a bug.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 158 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

41 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. "Clear all" feature should be clearer to spot (and have shortcut)

I teach excel, and it feels like around 90% of students (daily Excel users) don't know the clear all function exists. Also when someone press the delete key, 90% of the time, they mean to press clear all, they just don't know it exists, so they then remove the fill, change the colour, delete borders, unmerge cells etc, These all take many clicks.

I truly believe that MOST Excel users waste time every day because they don't know of the existence of "Clear all". Excel should make this really obvious by 1. Adding a keyboard shortcut (Shift + Delete maybe?)…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. More than 15 chars in numbers!

The 15 chars limit is really annoying, since many numbers in the real world exceed those: CreditCard numbers are typical 16 chars, GSRN numbers are normally 18 chars, etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Do we need 15 decimal places?

Who needs 15 decimal places? The IEEE round off error were users get, say, 12.3 × E-15 when they expect zero just confuses then and undermines their confidence in Excel and in themselves.

I cannot see any one in the finance world needing 15 decimal places.

Few, if any, engineers/scientist work with that sort of precision. Look up physical constants and you will find they are generally known to only 9 significant figures: Planck constant h = 6.626 070 040(81) × 10−34, were (81) is the std dev in the last two decimal places. Albeit some work with atomic masses…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add A Color Picker Tool

A simple color picker tool has been something I have been forever longing for! It would be so nice to have the ability to grab colors from an image on the fly instead of having to use a third-party tool and manually type in the RGB code.

I envision this being an Office Suite feature, where you could grab colors from say a PowerPoint slide or even a web page and fill your selected cells with the exact color.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could even have a column in the pre-formatted Ribbon galleries to update one-click…

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base