Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Preserve source quoting and separator when saving CSV.

Currently, Excel alters CSV files to it's internal CSV format whenever the file is saved, even if no changes were made to the file. For example, if I open a CSV file like below (anonymized version of a AWS credentials file):

User Name,Access Key Id,Secret Access Key
    "somebody",WISKFHEYDSJ2UDFH6XAD,mDHJNSLCF!safsdlds>Flsdfj/Mjufsldkhafdsl

And then I merely open the file and save it without making any changes, Excel will alter file, removing the quotes:

User Name,Access Key Id,Secret Access Key
    somebody,WISKFHEYDSJ2UDFH6XAD,mDHJNSLCF!safsdlds>Flsdfj/Mjufsldkhafdsl

In this particular example, the change is harmless but for more complex CSV files, simply opening them in Excel is sufficient to break other…

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion – CSV hasn’t been an area we’ve been looking into recently, but we’ll reconsider. It looks like this is starting to get some votes fairly quickly. If you like the idea, then please keep the votes coming! That’s the best way to help get this onto our engineering schedule.

Thanks,
    John [MS XL]

2. Chart series formatting - UI overhaul

Formatting chart series is currently very cumbersome, particularly on a chart with many series.

SUGGESTION: make a *series formatting window* open up for a given chart.
    -The window displays all series simultaneously (each series is one row). Each column is an attribute (e.g. line type, line width, marker type, marker line color, etc. etc.). All attributes are also shown simultaneously.
    -It should be possible to easily copy attributes (only some, or all) from one series to another, or to multiple others simultaneously.
    -It should be possible to define and save attribute sets for a series that can then be selected…

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are looking at several ways to make formatting easier. This is an interesting approach that we will consider.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

3. Enable Vari-wide / MariMekko charts

Hi, I use Vari-wide or Marimekko charts quite frequently and find this to be a major pain in Excel. There are ways to work this in using Area charts and additional rows and formulas for formatting, but it takes a while. Further, it often doesn't allow a linear chart based on my values unless I change the axis to dates, and cheat the formatting to show non date numbers...

It would be great if this could be built in, or at least be made easier (by not having to change the x-axis to dates)

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] recategorized to Charting)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Could you also further comment on the specific features of a MariMekko chart that you would like to see?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

4. Add scientific constants

Currently excel has Euler's number and pi, but it'd be great if it had functions with precise values for other commonly used constants like speed of light, electron charge, Plancks constant, Boltzmann constant, Avogadro's number etc.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Rolands! I’d be curious to see, in comments, what other constants people are interested in. I’ll check back on this later, and of course the more votes it has the more likely it is to get into the product – so please keep the votes coming if you like the idea!

Best,
    John [MS XL]

5. C# as a scripting language

Let us code macros directly in C#!

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Auto Refresh Data for Pivot Tables

I was there was an option to auto refresh pivot tables when data is changed in the referencing data table. I am trying to move massive tabular spreadsheets which rely on cross linking formulas across several worksheets to data tables which leverage pivot tables to produce the data. The data in the data tables can change very frequently and my team need to see the totals (pivot tables) in real time. The only way to do this right now is with VBA macros which isnt reliable it seems.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow double byte languages in dialogs

Many dialog boxes display gibberish when double-byte languages (kanji/chinese/etc) should be displayed. Some dialog boxes allow these, while others do not. Please enable all programming objects to use/store/display double byte.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Dave,

Can you list the dialogs where you see a problem (and the version of Excel that you’re using)?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

8. Visually show which cells are selected even when another application has focus

Currently, when I select one or more cells and then switch to another application, the boundary box and shading for the selected cells are not shown. Other Office applications exhibit this behavior as well--selection highlighting is only displayed when the program has focus. Many (most?) non-Office applications show the highlighting at all times.

It would be far more useful to be able to glance at the spreadsheet and see which cells are selected, even when working in another program.

485 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion E Bow. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about changes you’d like to see – we’re listening. We’ll take a look at this one. As always, folks should keep voting for the things they like the most – we’ll generally be prioritizing things according to the number of votes they get.

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

9. Engineering Notation

In engineering, it is very common to use scientific notation that only displays numbers in factors of 10e-6, 10e-3, 10e0, 10e3, 10e6, 10e9, etc. I've seen this called "engineering notation" - it's just a special subset of scientific notation.

It would be great to have an extra formatting option for this.

For example:
    1.3e5 would be displayed as 130.0e3
    2.0e6 would be displayed as 2.0e6 (no change)
    3.2e10 would be displayed as 32.0e9

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. When loading tab delimited Text

When loading/opening tab delimited Text document that has fields such as 150:10 200:10 it automatically treats them as date fields and adds a trailing :00 to the end so it would look like 200:10:00, this really disrupts the development of my game and I have to keep the excel documents as the master copy.

It would be nice to be able to load the text document as is and not have any "formatting" added automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow multiple attempts when entering a password

When opening a password protected file, if you type it incorrectly, you have to open the file again and type it in. Similarly, if you click to open the file twice, and type the password correctly, the second file will then open, forcing you to type the password again. If you hit cancel on the second file, the first (correctly authenticated) workbook will close.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Cortana should learn excel syntax so that I don't have to

Cortana should learn excel syntax so that I don't have to. Pretty simple, for users that don't want to learn functions such as left/right, they should simply be able to say "Cortana, take the last 3digits off that column and put them in the next column" "Make me a pie chart with the colors red white and blue"

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - added to Formulas and Functions category)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Maintain leading zeroes when entering values in cells

There should be an application setting OR paste recovery option OR cell format to retain leading zeroes when entering values in cells (either manually or through another means like CSV import).

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] Updated idea title and description to broaden this issue from maintaining leading zeros on CSV data import to maintaining them on any cell entry.)

1,326 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

71 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks very much for your votes. And to those who took the time to fill in the survey, thank you! This is a brief update to let y’all know that we’ve started work on this feature request along with the one on changing numbers to scientific notation.

- Urmi [Msft]

15. Function to only use every xth-row or column in another function

Function to only use every xth-row or column in another function

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. The ability to blur all but a cell or set of cells

When reviewing a long list of cells, it would be nice to blur or darken the non-desired cells, i.e. reduce eye strain by having the computer focus on the cells you are working/reviewing.

(2015-11-05 - Dan [MS] changed category)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add support for Epoch time in Date & Time cell formatting options

I frequently work with data where date and time are represented in the Epoch time-stamp format, or where it is preferable to use this format for scripting purposes. Please add support for Epoch time-stamps so that intermediate processing of time-stamps is not required when importing the data to excel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. easy export of entire workbook or reference to chart objects into PowerBI

I love working in Excel. I love the new PowerBI but it's not yet that mature enough to invest spending time on the online dev section. I'd rather work on my desktop editions.

Basically, I would love to take my excel workbooks and export everything - including charts - into PoweBI as easily as Excel does the copy/move worksheets into PowerBI. If PowerBI automatically does the calcs with DAX instead of regular functions from Excel, holy crap. I could learn DAX easily and be super super confident in using Excel/PowerBI as my all-in one analysis/publishing workflow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Pin the (Select All) check box in a filter list

The (Select All) check box appears first in a filter list but disappears when you scroll down the list. I would prefer to see this box pinned at the top of the list so it can be checked and unchecked easily however far down the list you scroll. I often scroll down a long list then realise I wanted to deselect all and just choose one option so I have to scroll all the way back up to unchecked the box.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Option to allow overlapping window to always be on top

When working with overlapping windows of excel it would advantageous if we had the option to treat them like shapes and layer them so that you could work on a window that sits in the back while watching the effect it has on a smaller window that sits on top/in the front. The current set up always bring forward the most active window.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base