Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. If pasted text is auto converted to a date: _save_the_original_text_. Then give it back when text is desired. Don't corrupt data!

When people in computational biology paste a list of gene names sometimes genes like "SPET8" are in the list. The original value is lost, and now the column has corrupt data. (Why did you kill the original value?) Since the column of gene names usually goes off screen and is often in alphabetical order nobody notices this until something breaks in a bizarre way in another person's hands. Scientific papers have had corrupt data for this reason many times, and everyone advises each other to avoid excel for this reason. It might even make a difference for a clinical diagnosis.…

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove folder depth limitation when saving

Excel can open files from anywhere, but has an arbitrary limit on the folder depth/number of characters in path, forcing you to save to an intermediate temporary location.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Stabilize ActiveX Controls

ActiveX controls aren't stable--for example, they get moved to a different part of the screen after hiding then unhiding a row, or the control gets larger and the caption gets smaller every time you click it. I shouldn't have to write a macro to put my controls back in their proper places--they should just stay where I put them to begin with!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Under format cells, for the 'text' category allow for a Rich-Text type

The Rich-Text type would allow the cell to have MS Word like features (cursor around within the cell, turn on bulleting, allow for hyperlinking a sub-section of text within the cell (instead of turning the entire cell into a hyperlink), etc.)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improve graph creation and customization

When graphing it's a nightmare to make something with error bars or to create a good legend ... etc. Please make it possible to insert a group as a single value for a bar chart. Select the group, ask the chart to display the mean (or median or whatever statistic), and from there ask it to display error bars and so on.

Speaking of error bars, I think it's necessary to add the option of changing the width of the flat caps. Having larger charts is excruciating.

Another problem with the charts is that I can't specify the range easily.…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

For your last item, could you provide a sample workbook showing your problem?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Add a hotkey for the format painter

For something that is used so much, I can't understand why there isn't a hotkey for it yet.
    Yes I could make my own with a customisable ribbon, but I would really like to not have to do that every time I sit at a new computer

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make it so that slicers can be tied to the dimensions of the cell(s) they are in and will resize automatically

This is currently a problem as when row/column dimensions change, the slicers don't stay tied to the cell(s) they are in.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Mirroring Worksheets

Sometimes I want to present some information to a client, but not all. Linking doesn't always work due to the possibility of inserting new columns or rows into the data. I would like to clone a worksheet and designate the original as the master worksheet. In the clone, I'd like to change formatting, hide cells, or add information, while mirroring the master data so I can keep my master data and still generate reports for others from the clone.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Linked Transpose Paste

You can copy and paste special by linking or transposing, but you can't do both. Please fix

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Network functions, like ping() or nslookup()

Handy if you have a column of hostnames or IP addresses.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion. I’d be interested to know if there are other functions in this area that people also want to see. I’ll check back soon to see how many votes this is getting, so if you like the idea be sure to vote for it.

Cheers,
    John [MX XL]

13. Make Undo stacks track per workbook instead of globally

Undo stacks are currently global between all workbooks that are open at a given time, so pressing undo on one workbook might undo a change in a different workbook. As someone who frequently has multiple workbooks open at a time, it would be much more helpful to be able to step through the edits made on each individual workbook.

849 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

155 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for all the passion on this issue – we hear you and we’ll get someone on the team to dig in to the issue. I’ve seen a few related sub-issues while scanning over the comment section for this one, so we may reach out to a few of you for clarifications. Thanks again for all the votes, and keep them coming for the issues you care about!

John, Excel

14. Alphabetically sort sheets/worksheets in a workbook

When working with large data sets, I often ended up with 50+ sheets of data, and each sheet was named by a given convention. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to sort them alphanumerically without a macro. Giving the user the ability to sort so that a1 is first then a2,b1,b2,etc rather than having to sort by hand or use a macro would be seriously amazing.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Two new =if's

Just like =IFERROR(), could we also get =IFBLANK() and =IFZERO(). I would use these on a regular basis, and it would cut in half the size of large formulas where I just want something specific to happen where the result is either blank or zero

176 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix Cntl + Up Arrow when Top Row Frozen

When I freeze the top row in a worksheet and am working further down in the file but want to jump to the top using the Ctrl + Up arrow keyboard shortcut, I am only move to the top of the viewable screen instead of the top of the worksheet (so I have to scroll or drag the scroll bar up). Please adjust so ctrl + up arrow goes to top of worksheet instead of top of screen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Data labels for first and last data points on charts, with option for mid or interval points.

Give an easy option to label the first and last data points on a chart, with options for middle point or every 2nd, 3rd and so on.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback. We are looking into the details of this. Please continue to vote on feature ideas which will increase their likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

18. A simple function to replace the IF(A1="","",EnterFormulaHere)

Everyone down to amateur excel users knows the quick fix for displaying no value in a cell if it's precedent is blank is the =IF(A1="","",EnterFormulaHere). Usually used when the end user hasn't yet entered information into input cells and Errors in cells are undesired.

This gets more complex when there are many precedent cells and requires this =IF(OR(A1="",B2="",C3=""),"",EnterFormulaHere) etc.

We need a function for this such as:
    =IFBLANK(IfNotBlank,[CellsToCheck],[All/Any])

So, =IFBLANK(A1*B2*C3) would only return the result of the formula if none of cells A1, B2 and C3 were blank.

Or, =IFBLANK(A1*B2*C3,(A1,B2,D7)) allows the user to select the specific cells to be…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting suggestion Jon, thanks for posting it. There’s some other suggestions around blank/null, so we’ll be taking a look at the space in general, and making particularly sure that we consider related functions that get a lot of votes. As always, the more votes something gets the more chance that a specific request gets in the execution pipe sooner. So I just want to encourage folks to keep voting for the ideas they like best!

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

19. When altering a graph have an option to see the updated graph only after the settings window you had open is closed.

For example when adding multiple data series to a scatter plot the graph is updated after each series is added. It can take a long time to add a new series after a few have been added, when using large amounts of data points. I suggest something like what photoshop does which allows you to disable updates until the current settings window is closed.

I have found a work around. If you place the graph in excel so you can't see it and click "Format-select data" you can plot as many series as you like without lag since it is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

20. Add CTRL-A (select all) shortcut to the find (search)/replace box.

The search and replace box (CTRL-F/CTRL-H respectively), don't support the extremely common CTRL-A (select all) keyboard shortcut, and haven't since Office 95.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base