Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Protect some cells so that it dosn't accidently change by typing

Some cells contain data that are final and should not change by accidently pressing a key, for example student's marks in exam.
    after entering such data I would like to be able to protect some cells, and I can unprotect later if I want. like in drawing applications you can lock a shape or layer

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. auto border

An automatic function that would put borders in your table in an automatic way.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can do this a couple ways -

1. If you apply a table style that has a border, you’ll get a border on your tables

2. You can take #1 a step further by defining a table style (or customizing an existing one) to have a border you like, and then you can set that table style as the default table style.

Of course, you can also add a border around your table using the border button on the ribbon too (but it’s not automatic, and takes two clicks per table).

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

3. Find something - info in which cell is searched string

If user use Find and Replace window Excel is moving sheet to place where it find what user search for. But for user is hard to find in which cell is searched string. Excel only give green box to inform user about cell. Can next to "Find what:" show user cell name where the searched string is f.i. "C41"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

To see the locations where the info you wanted to find exists, you can try these two things:

If you just want to look for one cell, then the upper left corner of the app (to the left of the formula bar) will show you where the value was found in the grid (C41) for instance.

If you want to see a list of locations where the value you are looking for exists, press Find All instead of just Find. Excel will show you a list of all the locations that contain the value you searched for.

In the future, the Excel Tech Community is a great place to ask questions like this.

Hope that helps
    Dan [MS]

4. Fix problem where formulas display rather than their results, when this option has not been selected.

Every now and then a formula displays rather than the result of the formula. I realize there is an option for this; however; on occasion it happens to a particular cell or range of cells when this option has not been selected. The rest of the worksheet functions properly. This has been an ongoing problem for years.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, This happens when a cell is formatted as Text prior to entering a formula. Since formatting a cell as text is an explicit operation, Excel doesn’t “automatically change that formatting” when you enter a formula.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

5. Add gradient fill as a cell fill option

The ability to fill a range of cells with a gradient color would allow for a greater level of creativity and a professional polished finished product.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

One and Two color gradient fills are already supported. To add one,

1. Select the cell you want to fill
    2. Press Ctrl+1 to bring up the Format Cell dialog
    3. Click on the Fill tab, then “Fill Effects…”

Now you can create your gradient.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

6. Reduce the wasted space above the spreadsheet!

Reduce the wasted space in the spreadsheet. Referring to the ribbons and spaces above the actual spreadsheet. Especially when viewing multiple files in horizontal arrangement, where there are groupings, the actual viewable spreadsheet real estate is tiny. Very annoying and unproductive having to constant scroll up/down the multiple files. In the past, it was possible to lessen the wasted space but somehow with the new ribbon design, you forgot why people use spreadsheets in the first place, which is to look at data not view the scenary.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Countifs with multiple choice in the same range: COUNTIFS (A1:A20;">=32";A1:A20;"<85")

Allow countifs to manage < and > in the same range.
    Example
    NOW: COUNTIFS (A1:A20;">=32")-CONTA.SE(A1:A20;"<85")
    IN THE FUTURE TO HAVE THE SAME RESULT:
    COUNTIFS (A1:A20;">=32";A1:A20;"<85")

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. have a amortized schedule not just for loans, but also for lines of credit

have a amortized schedule not just for loans, but also for lines of credit

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. I would like to have the option of deleting a document (i am just learning the how to do it and I haven't found a way yet).

I would like to have the option of deleting a document (i am just learning the how to do it and I haven't found a way yet).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To delete a document, simply select the file in Windows Explorer (or SharePoint Online or OneDrive – wherever the file is stored) and press the delete key on your keyboard.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

10. New Shortcut to copy the content from previous cell (in the same row)

For a long time we have Ctrl+d to copy the content from previous cell from the same column, it would be great if we have a similar key to copy the content from the previous cell in the same row

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow saving filters

As a biz user, we filter sheets all the time ... and very often run through switching filters repeatedly. I mean that given a multiple columns, we might filter a few columns to see what the data says then someone else using the sheet may filter differently, and then we want to return to the original set of filters.

The feature request is to save a snapshot of the filter choices with a name, so that users can prepare several combinations of filters and switch between them easily.

This is particularly useful when the underlying data changes.

Essentially, as a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Rivan,

If you are using AutoFilters for your filters, check out “Custom Views” which are accessible on the View ribbon, and allow you to save your filter settings.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

12. In Excel, when I had to change a word or a number, at the top of the sheet, I could do it, now I have to retype everything in the cell

Fix Excel, so when you have to change a word, number or sentence within a cell you can do it without retyping all the information in the cell. I used to be able to do it, but it is no longer possible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is still possible.

1. Select the cell
    2. Select the part of the content you want to change in the formula bar (above the grid)
    3. Change that part of the content and hit

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

13. Add default formatting to File-Options

Add default formatting to File-Options. I prefer my spreadsheet format to be vertically aligned to TOP, CENTERED and WRAP. I have to adjust this on every new spreadsheet. Add the initial format to File-Options where the user could set it up according to their preferences. Then, we would only have to modify exceptions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. New spreadsheets should only have a single sheet

The normal thing is to only want one sheet. If I want multiple sheets I would normally want more than 3. It is easier to add a new sheet than delete one you don't want. Also many of the formats you can save a workbook in don't support multiple sheets. As such I think it would be more user friendly to only have the one tab to start with.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Martin,

Excel versions starting with either 2007 or 2010 (I forget exactly) now have only one sheet by default, as we came to the same conclusion that you did.

Also, as Kenneth mentions, you can change this value here: File → Options → General → When creating new workbooks → Include this many sheets.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

15. a new hotkey for copy cell values

we need a hotkey for copy cell values. ctrl+c copies cell. but usually we need to copy the "text" or "number" that stored in the cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Setan,

Good news – This is already supported in Excel, but it’s done as part of Paste, rather than as part of Copy.

1. Select the range you want to copy values from
    2. Ctrl+C
    3. Select where you want to Paste
    4. Ctrl+Alt+V (Paste Special)
    5. Choose “Values”

The reason we do this is so that you don’t need to make the decision about what you want to paste until you actually do the paste operation, and you can paste several different things with one copy operation (you could paste values and formatting for example).

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

16. desired cells are to be visible in a flooting window over excel sheet to monitor changes during modifying the data entered

while modifying / entering data, related cells values will be changed at bottom/top/righ/left of the table and desired cell values required to be monitor by scrolling top/bottom/left/righ. for easy facilitate arrange desired cells in flooting window over excel sheet to observe the changes while modifying / entering data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This functionality is already supported in Excel through something called the “Watch Window.” To use it:

1. On the Formulas ribbon, click “Watch Window”
    2. Click the “Add Watch” button
    3. Select the cell you want to watch the value of
    (repeat 2 and 3 if you’d like)

Now, whenever cells you are watching change values, you’ll see those updated values in the Watch Window.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

17. Excel convert signs

It would be really efficient to have a functionality in Excel to be able to convert the numbers sign (Positive to Negative, Absolute) and also to convert data formatted as 15.15- to -15.15 (That is the sign is on the right where it should be on the left)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

This is already supported. To convert signs,

1. Type -1 in a cell
    2. Copy the cell that contains -1
    3. Select the range you want to convert
    3. On the Ribbon, choose Paste Special (or press Ctrl+Alt+V)
    4. Choose Multiply

That will convert all numbers in the selected range to the opposite sign.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

18. Bring back parentheses for negative number formatting

Bring back parentheses for negative number formatting as in previous excel versions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Using parentheses for negative number formatting is still supported by Excel (just like in previous versions).

To use it:
    1. Select the cells/range you want to use parentheses when negative.
    2. Press Ctrl+1 to bring up the Format Cells dialog (or on the Ribbon, click on the Number format drop down, then select “More Number Formats…”)
    3. On the Number tab of the Format Cells dialog, select the Number category, and then one of the number formats that uses parentheses for negative numbers.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

19. Please add bold formula for some word in cell

when I type a sentence in a cell, I need one or several words in the sentence to bold because the word is important. I wish there was a formula to thicken the word that until now I have not found in the set of formulas excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you are typing a sentence in a cell (that is, you have the actual text in the cell), you can select any word(s)/character(s) in that text and press the [B] button on the ribbon (or use Ctrl+B) to make that selection Bold (or apply other formatting).

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported in Excel. All you need to do is put an equal sign before the numbers you want to calculate. So, if you do =15.95/.79, you’ll get the result of that calculation in the cell.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base