Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. insert traffic light colour function for "if " scenarios in the table section

Insert traffic light colour function as an "IF" scenario in the table section. so for example if a number drops below certain precentage its red category, another precentage its amber, then green.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show action location when searching for an action

When I know an action can be performed, but I don't know where it's located, I can type a keyword into the search bar to find it. It works great, but doesn't tell me where the actions from the search results are located. Because of this, I rarely use it because what's the point if I just have to look up the action location anyways online? Other programs have the menu actively open to the location and highlight the action (on hovering over the search result) so you know where to find it next time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Sheet and Subsheets

Workbook can include many sheets of different importance and some can depend on each other. I would like to be able to group some sheets as a subsheets but with one mainsheet. Mainsheet only visible in the workbook (Tree structurice the sheets). Is this understood or not ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Is there a feature that makes background in excel sheets / group of sheets transparent

Is it possible to get a transparent background so I can look through one or more Excel sheets while typing in the top / selected sheets in a group of sheets?

Ex.
    When I use Excel for planning for multiple teams, these are on their own tab.

I mark several tabs as a group, and here I would like to be able to browse through one or more of the sheets I have selected.

That way I can see / prevent collision and double booking between tasks in planning div. teams.

Thanks in advance

Greetings Roy

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. excel file blank when opened

file excel blank ketika dibuka. namun ketika dibuka untuk kedua kalinya tidak blank. Bagaimana caranya supaya file tersebut dibuka dan tidak blank?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Splitting of a one cell into two cell but in same column

there should be a facility to break a cell into two cells but in same column

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. viewing

View multiple spreadsheet at the same time

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to make Frozen Row(s) Print as headers (on every page)

If I have a tall spreadsheet that will print on multiple pages, it would be nice to be able to easily turn my top row or two in to a header that appears on each page when I print the spreadsheet. I think expanding the existing row freeze tool would accomplish this most intuitively.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Blocking cells more easily, hide pages and security.

Blocking pages for a defined content is fine, although if I share my document and there are usable search engines, for example, I would like that document can enable the use of the search engine, however Excel blocks pages in a very unpleasant way and not It makes very clear what I am blocking and what not, because the program does not mark the cells properly and confuses in its use. In addition, recreating a sheet with its functions is too simple, just copy the formulas by hand and my work is over.
    A more graphic and pleasant block to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. updates to 3D map to continuously add new data

while using power map/3D map, it would be helpful if there was a function that allowed for new data entered into the table to also be entered into the map.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Be cool to be able to set a default value in a data validation list that shows if no adjustment is chosen

When selecting the data validation dropdown list it would be great if you could preset the field to show a default value.

For example, a list of currency alternatives, and a default value of GBP. How can I do that with the current program?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Possibility to insert Quick part

it would be great to have the possibility to insert quick part (as Word can do) and specially to insert documents properties and SharePoint metadata.
    For example : i would like to insert the version number of my file in the footer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improve Spill Error detection

We use Multiple spreadsheets to build an asset register. Prior to last update, we were able to simply change sheets on an open cell and select to "mimic" the data in a cell.
    With the introduction (or fine-tuning) of a the Spill formulas, now when you select the cell to "mimic", a Spill Error is given unless you know to add in the "@" before the name of the cell.
    For basic users, with limited computer/MS literacy, they may not be aware of the addition needed for the formula that previously worked to work now and this change may cause…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. how can transfer my microsoft acount to another computer?

how do I transfer my Microsoft account to another computer?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Drop Down List - Limited to 8 Selections - When will you Fix?

The Excel Drop Down List has been limited to 8 Selections - FOREVER -

It can be that hard to allow more (10,12,16,whatever)

Is this fix even on the Excel Roadmap?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Encoding of a string value

My problem is: I am getting Hungarian text from a textbox of a userform. If the text has some special Hungarian characters, like á, é, Ő, Ű, etc and I print out this string, I can not use it with another program, which expects encoding UTF-8
    Can I somehow change the encoding of a string value in a VBA macro?
    (I am using Office 365 on Windows 7 and Windows 10 operating system)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Compatibility checker for excel 365 versions

Hello,
    Right now compatibility checker able to compare excel 365 with 2016, 2010 and back to 2003.

1. I have version installed 1911 and used new functions like
      FILTER.

2. I send this file to user who's sitting on semi-annual channel (often
      happens in business world) and his version is 1908.

The issues:

1. You can't compare with 2019 edition.

2. You can't compare excel 365 versions with each other. If i run
      current compatibility checker it will notice me only about compatibility issues with excel 2016.

Expected:

For instance if i use function from 1911 and it also exist in 1910 but no…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Sorting default settings

When the Sort ....(choicest) selected "Sort Warning" box pop-up with a preselected choice. Remove that "preselected" default setting and enable it to remember users choice when Excel is open and used next time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base