Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please check your spelling

In Excel 2010 (Design tab for Sparkline, Dropdown Axis, Vertical Axis Maximum Value Options, Custom Value...) "Enter the maximium value for the vertical axis". Please correct the spelling. It's "maximum" not "maximium". Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Step Graph

Please add the option to create a step graph as a type of line graph. This is a different way of presenting the data and in certain cases is a much more useful visual representation.

I have found workarounds to create a step graph but only if the data uses dates as the horizontal axis. I need to be able to create a chart with $ amount (for example) as the horizontal axis and have it be a step graph.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. BUG: Stop 'Paste Formats' Overwriting Non Pivot Chart Data Source When Copying from PivotChart

I create a new chart with a new data source (non pivot table based), and want the formats from an existing chart to be used. However copying the existing chart (pivot table based), then selecting the new chart, selecting Paste Special: Formats, overwrites the actual data source of the new chart to the same as the old. Worse still, if you press undo, Excel forgets the original data source and unlinks the chart completely, so you need to redefine the data source, AND manually set the formats to match the preferred chart style. Please fix!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. PLEASE PLEASE Better Handling of Date/Time data in graphs

I have used Excel for 20+ years and STILL there is poor handling of time/date data in graphs. Can you make the axis options easier for users when using XY Scatter?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Kastengrafik

In der deutschen Version von Excel 2016 ist die Diagrammvorlage 'Kastengrafik' nicht wirklich sinnvoll nutzbar, da sie keine Spalten-bezogene Beschriftung der Rubrikenachse zulässt.
    Das Problem lässt sich nur mit der bereits im Excel 2013 nutzbaren Variante über den 'gestapelte Säulendiagramm'-Umweg lösen.
    (siehe angehängte Datei).
    Außerdem wäre die Bezeichnung 'Box-Whisker-Plot' für die Vorlage
    intuitiver.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. bug in points diagram

I believe there is a bug in data handling for a scatter plot (points diagram), when there are empty or pseudo empty cells in the data range: The diagram pretends to be a points diagram, and the data ranges are correctly defined. Nevertheless, the diagram does not show the X data on the horizontal axis, but their index. This should not happen, because it can lead to severely wrong conclusions! This came up in teaching. (The data in the file have been downloaded from a public website and thus are neither mine nor confidential.)

I would appreciate a fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Graphically show alignment for objects (e.g charts)

If you have ever used Google Sheets and had to align multiple charts you will know exactly what I am referring to and if you have not you should go try it to see how easy it is. Excel should replicate the same thing.

For those unfamiliar see the attached screen print. Basically when there are more than 1 chart and you drag 1 of the charts it will visually display when charts are aligned (top, bottom, left, right, center) and it will align the gaps between multiple charts to get the spacing even.

It is soooooo easy compared to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I am trying to combine two excel data tables on one graph

I need the population and type of drug on the x-axis and the percentage on the y-axis showing the differences between the two sets of data

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Chart colors to match data font/cell colour

It would be great if there was an option to have the colour of a data series in a chart match the colour of the data it was referencing (either the font or the cell colour). This would make changing the colours in the chart much quicker, especially in cases where you would like different colours for different parts of a single series.
    This could also work with Conditional Formatting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Link Map

Make linking options available for Map Chart Types.

I would like to be able to link the title of my maps to cells within my workbook to make it quicker and easier to update them but it is currently not available for Maps.
    See the first note on the following link:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Link-a-chart-title-label-or-text-box-to-a-worksheet-cell-efc8173a-2a8a-423b-b4e2-b10c62fca6f5

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add "Invert if negative" option for Area charts

Please add a "Invert if negative" option for Area charts, similar to the one we have for the Bar charts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Round off and number formats in data labels

It should be possible to format the data labels with regards to number format and the number of digits.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Data Table for a pie chart

When working with live data and displaying this in reports, using data labels end up them flying around as the data changes.

Therefore it should be an option of adding data tables instead of data labels.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. allow re-sizing of labels in sunburst charts

Allow re-sizing of labels in sunburst charts - labels for smaller or smallest segments do not appear if there is a wide range of values, resulting in un-named / blank segment(s).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. The online templates available are SOOO old and outdated looking majority of the time, when can you start providing more current tables and

I'd love to assist in designing newer more modern looking charts for your galleries! They are always so old and outdated looking when I search for projects. LOVE using excel still, and Microsoft Suite!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Shortcut to print preview

I would love to have an easily found shortcut to Preview at the top of the sheet.I don't know the name of the horizontal list,
    File Home Insert...
    I use it alot to check that my sheet is turning out the way I want. Currently I have to hunt for it everytime, waisting time.
    I am just a average person and don't know Excel that well. It would be nice to go back to the simplified version like Windows 7, when all of Windows was simplified.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Export a database in Excel to OPML to import it in Mind Maps software

Some databases are so large to analyze as a spreadsheet, exporting them as a tree (mind map) is easy to analyze and identify issues.
    Most Mind Map applications have the function to import OPML files.
    If it can be generated from Excel as a function or Add-In it would simplify a lot of work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Map chart, has the regions of Chile outdated.

Hi, I developed a mapping chart for a Dashboard, but i have any issues.

• The Region of Arica and Parinacota ("Región de Arica y Parinacota"), exists within the map, but does not recognize its data.

• The Tarapacá Region ("Región de Tarapacá") exists within the map, but considers data of the "Region of Arica and Parinacota".

• In 2018, the Ñuble Region ("Región de Ñuble") was created, dividing the Biobío Region ("Región del Biobío"). So a region on the map is missing.

• The Los Lagos Region ("Región de Los Lagos") exists within the map, but considers the data as the Los Ríos…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Creating pie chart for all pies in a pie chart

I have data, which is divided into categories and sub-categories. I want to have a pie chart, where each pie is to be again divided into another pie chart.

Currently, MS Excel allows me to create 'pie of pie chart'. Here, only one of the pies is divided into another pie chart. There is no option to divide all the pies.

It will be good if we have the additional feature of dividing all the pies into further pie charts

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow Source Change for Pivot Charts

Allow users to change the Chart Data Range to another pivot table. This will allow users to continue their "flow" of data exploration without having to either 1. overwrite their last pivot chart analysis or 2. break flow by re-generating the same visual but with slightly different inputs. It's also more natural than saving the chart template.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base