Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a Select All when un-hiding tabs (sheets) in a workbook

You are able to highlight multiple tabs and hide them all at once but when you need to un-hide tabs you have to select one at a time. It would be night to be able to multi select or select all in the un-hide pop up box. Right now I have a file that I have to hit un-hide 52 times to get everything to show back up.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. add worksheet or tab names in the find function

I teach a Microsoft Class and one of my students asked how to use the find function to search for tabs by name. You can't as far as I can tell. I searched on line and the suggestions are either complicated or don't work like people said they would. Anyways this would be helpful if you have a lot of them and don't always remember the full name. You could just type the full or partial name in your search function. If it existed it would either take you directly to the correct tab [worksheet] or provide a list of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. GET YOUR DOPEY_FUCKING_TEMPATE, GOOD MONRING/AFTERNOON BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. YOU_FUCKED_UP THE FILE OPTIONS SO FUCKING_BAD_ALREADY.

GET YOUR DOPEYFUCKINGTEMPATE, GOOD MONRING/AFTERNOON BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. YOUFUCKEDUP THE FILE OPTIONS SO FUCKINGBADALREADY. DOES YOUR SHITWARE ADD-IN REALLY DO ANYTHING USEFUL OTHER THAN OBSCURE OR HIDE THE ACTUAL ACTIONS I AM LOOKING FOR? ******** MICROSOFT,SUCK MY FUCKINGDICK.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Viewing Sums

If I highlight a range of numbers I can see sum, min, max, avg, etc... at the bottom of my window. However, I can only see those things on the active window. It would be nice if those items were viewable on all open windows, not just the active one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Search for name of the sheet

It would be nice if I can quick seach (input type seach) for sheet in document, when number of sheets is to big for clicking on next and previous sheets and for manually searching.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Screen Search

The current Ctrl-F function offers 2 choices in terms of "Within": Sheet & Workbook. Why not to add a 3rd one named "Screen" ?

It will be very useful when I try to locate something which I know is (or should be) in front of my eyes but I cannot find it due to the densely populated screen, and... the current Ctrl+F will show the first finding at top of the sheet while I am working on records (e.i.) 32004-32030

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Implement Quasi MDI Windows using Windows 10 Sets Feature

In Windows 10 there seems to be a feature, still under development called Windows Sets. https://www.howtogeek.com/352109/how-to-use-sets-in-windows-10-to-organize-apps-into-tabs/
    While MS pulled this feature from the latest public builds of Windows 10, it looks like it’s not dead, but sleeping, due to make a comeback once issues have been ironed out. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081852/windows-10-sets-coming-back-rumour

If this is the case then it would be the perfect way to bring make MDI like functionality to Excel for those users who miss it. Certainly from a Excel custom Application perspective MDI windows worked very well.

It would be great to have a setting in a future version of…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to set the defaults for ALL workbooks such as font, font size, row height, row width.

The ability to choose semi-permanently group and manipulate workbooks in the same way as Lotus 123.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to set the defaults for ALL workbooks such as font, font size, row height, row width.

Ability to permanently group selected worksheets and choose any single worksheet as the model to replicate styles from and when moving between worksheets, the cursor remains in the corresponding cell (a Lotus 123 feature)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Use menus like before

Please bring back menus. The new UI where all of the buttons are just plopped down is an absolute mess. The idea of Windows is that everything is nested in folders so that everything isn't just plopped. We don't need cutesy pictures and icons in lieu of methodical filing systems. Alternatively, maybe give us the option to choose power user mode or beginner / old person modes (I'm old so I can say that.) One place this horrible new UI suffers is with older tutorials: I literally can not go to Tools > Options. There is no Tools menu in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Numbering for tabs

Sometimes users need to create a workbook with multiple tas (i.e. 20 tabs). Most times users will simply rename the tabs. However, when discussing the workbook with others, it is not intuitive to direct a usersatotab X<YZ.>
    ILet's take an example of a sales workbook.
    f I have multiple tabs, I will label the tabs as:
    "1. National Sales"
    "2. Nast marketing summary"
    "3. West marketing summary"
    "4. Tales Offices RRevenue ankings"
    "5. PThree Year lanned Project Launches"

etc, etc,.....
    By adding a number to the tab label, I can tell users to just simply go to tab #3 wfor…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Persistent Highlighting of Rows (or Columns) When Not The Active Window/App

Like most professionals these days, I have a multi-monitor configuration for my computer which allows me to have two apps open and visible at the same time. This is handy when getting data from one source via an Excel spreadsheet while updating data in another Excel spreadsheet.

It allows me to keep both spreadsheets open, one on each monitor, as I walk the one to update the other.

The issue is: When I select a row in the source spreadsheet, it is highlighted. When I make the other spreadsheet the active window, the highlight disappears from the source spreadsheet.

It…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add Ctrl + [ shortcut to Danish excel.

This is a shortcut availible in excel in the US and it is very helpful. I would like it to be added to Danish excel.

Suppose you have a formula =Sheet2!A1+5 in A1 on Sheet1. If you press Ctrl + [ in Sheet1!A1, it will take you to Sheet2!A1.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Go back to previous version of Excel

Go back to previous version of Excel!!!...Remove the 'Search bar' above the Ribbon...if you have many documents with long names...names are NOT fully shown.
    Remove the 'Font bar' in the ribbon, replace with original 'cell data'...if you want to change data within a cell already containing data...cannot add or delete data...latest version of excel removes the entire data stream and then you are F****
    This is NOT a good upgrade with excel!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Interactive Homepage to get to worksheets

Visually group and arrange worksheets on the home page. be able to color code them or upload images or icons to represent the worksheets. Users can click on the icon to get to the worksheet (makes it easier than scrolling left & right when you have a bunch of worksheets). Also makes it more visually appealing, professional. Could be done with VBA but would be nice out of the box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make column snapping able to be toggled

I'm incredibly annoyed by how the left side constantly aligns to the closest column side when I'm scrolling horizontally. It's much easier for me to see my information correctly without the row numbers right next to all of my labels and equations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Arrange all automatically update after closing file

When files have been arranged using 'Arrange all', make it so that if one or more is closed they reset to fill the screen again with the remaining open files (ie effectively redo the 'Arrange all' automatically). This sometimes happens, but it seems to be random, and I can't find a setting to make it the default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Worksheet tabs after latest update to W10, seem set in a larger font size. Changing font size seems no longer possible.

Need to be able to change font size of tabs to worksheets. Current sizing is set too large and intrusive,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SHOW ANSWERS TO all student EXCERSISES EXCEL 2016 workbooks/ ebooks

SHOW ANSWERS TO all student EXCERSISES EXCEL 2016 workbooks/ ebooks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base