Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Find links to external references reporting data validation sources

your page "https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Find-links-external-references-in-a-workbook-fcbf4576-3aab-4029-ba25-54313a532ff1" does not mention a link to an external reference as a named range in case the reference is linked to a data validation source. Ctrl-f does not find such cell(s).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Worksheet Folders for Consolidation

A folder option to consolidate worksheets into individual folders across the bottom. This would allow daily/weekly/monthly tracking to be consolidated into one location without having to constantly go back and forth between worksheets. For instance, if you finish out your daily spreadsheets for August, you consolidate all of those into one folder instead of having to hide or scroll.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Cells More Visible by Highlighting Them

Make it possible to highlight a cell so that when I leave the spreadsheet and go back to it is easier to find where I left off

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Slim tools bars

Like done in Outlook, there could be a slim view of the tools.
    Probably it will be better to customize what buttons the user wants to see there.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Picture in Picture or Cell View mode while in another tab

I usually work with multiple tabs in a workbook. Most of the times, these are linked and have impact on computation in other tabs.

I would like to have ability to show the value of a cell from another tab either as PIP (Picture in Picture) or in a side pane to note impact of any changes in data while working in another tab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. When I Freeze Panes can it also set Print Titles and vice-versa if I'm given the choice

When I set Freeze panes can there be a dialog with the same options as the drop down but also a check box to set Print Titles. Therefore I can choose to do both Freeze Panes and Print Titles at the same time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Scroll Bar Tab

Hi, I wish you could provide a user interface to custom colour the scroll bar. It is so difficult everyday to try and locate the position of the button while working on the excel sheets. In fact you can allow users to design it to various forms and make it colourful. Right side scroll bar as well as the bottom scroll bars. Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Default background colours make the screen difficult to read for people with vision problems

Darken the default background colours so people with vision difficulties can see much better.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ctrl + 0 to reset zoom to 100 %

Same behaviour as Firefox and other apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Fix Notes in Selection Pane Description

Fix Selection Pane to properly show Notes. Currently, Notes shown in the Selection Pane display as "Comment 1", etc. Should say "Note 1"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Microsoft Excel 2016 - Proposed Solution "to show the current page number"

I would like to ask Microsoft Excel team to show the page number at the bottom bar permanently (the same as we get the total cells, or sum of cells) because sometimes we add so many pictures, that hide the "Page break preview", so the number of the current page is NOT shown.

Below is the proposed solution to fix this issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Cntrl+Up

Cntrl+Down Arrow and Cntrl+Up Arrow Are great for navigation although, cntl+Up Arrow has an unnatural effect when working in a spread sheet with a frozen top row. Instead of bring the user to the top of the sheet it simple moves the cursor to the top row (which is always shown due to freezing)

My suggestion is to have the cursor brought to the Second row/Top of sheet rather than Row 1.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Last row/last column indicators in row/column number list

An indicator (let's say a colourful underscore) on row / column numer lists that shows that last data points in the spreadsheet are in the respective row/column would be nice. Highlighted row should not depend on the column you're on and vice versa - true last rows/columns taking into account the entire spreadsheet should be highlighted.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. There should be way to hide the columns without the indicators visible to other

we should be able to hide columns without other users noticing the same

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bring Excel Workspace

in older versions of Excel (until Office 2010) we had an option of saving the display of multiple open workbooks as a workspace.
    later on, if we need to work with the same set of files we could open the workspace and get the same arrangements and size of the files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. go back

Go back about ten years. After 35 years of using excel the software doesn't work as well for me now as it did ten years ago except that it may be faster but ends up slower as many of the shortcuts I have learned over the years do not work now.
    The idea is to make available to us who want it the software of ten years ago.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Making Room In Title Bar To Drag While Minimized

Dear Office Team, I do not have enough space in my title bar to be able to move my application window while minimized. I understand you have new features but I need to drag my application windows like always before while minimized or reduced in size and now have no space where in the title bar to click to drag. It has my username, file information and so on and so forth (i assume important information on some context while minimized, but I know who I am already and I know I am already logged in, for example, no need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Resize GoTo Dialog Box

For the love of G-d, please, after all these years, make all dialog boxes, especially the GoTo dialog box!

For example, it is IMPOSSIBLE to decipher contents in the GoTo dialog box when using longer Excel file and sheet names.

Most programming languages provide simple ways to define resizable dialog boxes (e.g. Resizable: True, Max Height, Max Width, etc.)
    If Microsoft would take 1 extra minute to fix this in Excel, I believe it would save users like me hundreds of minutes per year. That would free me up to use even more Microsoft products!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Show Row Numbers On Right Side of Worksheet

With 4K monitors, worksheets displayed at 100% contain lots of data.
    Having row numbers displayed on the Left (supported), Right, and Both sides of the worksheet would be a nice usability improvement.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base