Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. New Window (Alt-WN) Should not toss frozen cells and hidden gridlines

Why, oh why, when I open a new window of an existing workbook (i.e. using Alt-WN), does the new window toss all of my frozen panes and hidden gridlines. Why, this infuriating, awful non feature!

I work with large financial models which I lay across 2 or more screens - each time I open new windows I have to laboriously re-set frozen panes! it is a total waste of time!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow navigating from sheet to sheet and landing in the same cell.

Move from sheet to sheet in a workbook so that one ends up in the same cell in each sheet. In LOTUS 123 it was [SHIFT}{ALT}{PAGEUP} OR {PAGEDOWN}.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Use "×" instead of "x" in the Name Box when showing the dimensions during the selection of cells

As you are selecting a range of cells, the Name Box will display the dimensions of your selection in the format "1R x 2C". Please change the "x" to "×" (times sign), since this is the proper symbol.

We no longer live in the days when we need to worry about whether or not someone's computer has the correct fonts installed to be able to display non-ASCII characters. The "×" will display on modern computers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Enabling and disabling edit mode.

Make an Edit Mode toggle so that way arrow keys only become effective inside cells, and no longer move between cells. Would be very useful and time saving when transferring data to be able to use the arrow keys to move back a few characters without having to use a mouse to select a spot within the cell or re-select the cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Shortcut to move cursor to Name Box

I currently avoid using the Name Box because I can only get there by using the mouse. If there was a shortcut to get there it would be a really quick, direct way to name ranges and navigate to ranges.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The results given with the search function ar not very good visible. The results should be marked better.

The results given with the search function ar not very good visible. The results should be marked better

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Remove Search Box that is now at the top of excel

Remove the very large search box that is now showing on the top of Excel. It shortens the name of the file, and is not needed. Should be able to add/remove Search Box when needed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Create menu to Search Worksheet

Create menu to Search Worksheet by name.

This is important when user has many worksheets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Create menu to Search Worksheet

Create menu to Search Worksheet by name.

This is important when user has many worksheets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Stop Call "Commentthreded" to "New Comment" And "Comment" to "Memo". CommentThredded should be called commentthreded.Comment is not "memo".

Unbelievable change! One day I insert activecell to comment, but I can't. From vesion 1903, old comment become to be called "Memo", and tab iwas changed. But I don't know. It is critically problem. I have to re-write all my companies manual comment to memo. I have no time to waist. Simpe and easy way is back to previous version and new comment should call "CommentThreded" or "スレッドコメント".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. please make it possible to have one row and one column a sticky row and cloumn. it is so frustrating to have one or the other.

I often want to go out of scroll from my heading row and would love to be able to make it follow me down the page as I scroll.
    At the same time I often scroll across a page and would similarly need to have the first column follow me as I move across the page.
    Google have this facility in their sheets so why don't you have it in Excel? thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Show Pinned not Recent on excel startup

Upon opening excel it use to show pinned files alphabetically with recent files below by date and time. Now the tabs are separate and when excel opens is displays recent not pinned, I have to click on pinned to get that list. Make a General Option to open to recent or pinned based on user preference.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Easy navigation across worksheets using back and forward buttons

A back and forward button would be helpful (like in internet explorer) so that while working in files with a number of sheets, user can easily navigate back and forth using these buttons.
    For example User selected "sheet-4 cell D4" and then selected sheet "sheet-15 cell X25" by using say trace precedent command or just by clicking the cell, if she now clicks "back" button it will take you to "sheet-4 cell D4" again. (This can be say upto 5 steps forward and 5 steps backward)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ctrl+Tab is broken

Ctrl+Tab is broken in Excel 2016. It now sometimes displays non-Excel windows(!) and sometimes just cycles between windows 1 and 2. Please fix this :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Highlight active filter pulldowns in either a color schema or for black and white in inverse video

Self-described. Filters need to stand out better when active, especially for old duffers like me. Also, when the deselect all filters icon is on the ribbon it should be active even though the sheet is protected. Otherwise you, currently, have to hunt for your selections

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cursor controls unique to individual spreadsheets

How about making cursor controls unique to individual spreadsheets rather than having just one global setting. I use several spreadsheets at any given time -- having the cursor move to the right after hitting ENTER is good for some of them, but having the cursor move down after hitting ENTER works for others.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Refreeze Panes

Create a Refreeze Panes option in the Freeze Panes drop down. This would remove the current Freeze Panes and apply a New Freeze Panes on the selected cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base