Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Stop ignoring valid comments that you don't appreciate

It's been known for years that the way Excel deals with circular references is very poor. Under certain circumstances, you pop up a warning that one or more circular references exist, but none can be found and fixed. I'd be happy to get a list of fields that contain the error. If the system rechecks and finds another circular reference, I could then dispose of them quickly and keep trying to save until I succeed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. dynamic references

Need to include calculated (and dynamic) references everywhere where appropriate:

DataValidation lists
    COntrol properties
    COnditional format influencing regions
    etc ...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. vlookup case sensitive

very simple,VLOOKUPs are case insensitive, VLOOKUPS should be case sensitive. One use case are Salesforce reports. They produce 15 character Ids that require case sensitivity functionality in order lookup against.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add INDIRECT function as the seventh argument to XLOOKUP

When using XLOOKUP to find information on another worksheet using the worksheet TAB as a dynamic-selection via the Indirect-function, the need for this argument becomes clear. For example; XLOOKUP(@INDIRECT("'"&$J$13&"'!$C5"),INDIRECT("'"&$J$13&"'!C5:H30"). the 'Tab-Reference' is the INDIRECT("'"&$J$13&"'!) part of the function.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. TRIM within IFS throws #VALUE error on strings longer than 255 chars

The use of the TRIM function within an IFS function throws a #VALUE error, if the string within TRIM is longer than 255 characters:
    e.g.:
    =IFS(TRUE;REPT("x";256))
    if you use 255 instead of 256, the function works fine. If you use REPT alone, there's no problem.
    Tested on German Excel version 1910 Build 12130.20390, monthly channel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SUMIFS and similar work with MONTH() and YEAR()

SUMIFS(values,MONTH(daterange),MM,YEAR(daterange),YYYY)
    instead of:
    SUMIFS(values,daterange,">="&A1,daterange,"<="&EOMONTH(A1,0)),
    which seems clunky and complicated.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. the function of blinking the cell, and setting the color (under a certain condition IF)

In the MICROSOFT EXCEL program - the function of blinking the
    cell, and setting the color (under a certain condition IF)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. DATEDIF formula and syntax helper in formula bar

I use the DATEDIF formula regularly for business tasks, including calculating due dates etc. I don't understand why this formula isn't more prominently offered to those who wish to use it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. A command that searches for file locations (like for the location of a PDF) and displays the file location

I have a mail merge tool that will grab a file and attach it to an email, using the file's location. But it'd be nice for there to be a command that will search a drive and FIND that location, so I only have to save a file once

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Hi

Hi like i have entered few values in a formula & out of that one value i want to change the colour of that value so that i know this coloured values signifies me where i got that from. i can select that vales but didnt allow me to change the colour of that value.
    thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Copy data from one table to another with a formula.

I am organising ammunition from a list of my ammunition into different storehouses. They must comply with many regulations and not all ammo can be stored together. I want to be able to type in a storehouse number in an end column. When this number is typed in i want the data from that row of the table to be copied into another table that represents the storehouse contents. This way i can quickly move ammo across between he storehouses without having to copy and paste each time. I experimented with an =if function, but i couldn't find a way…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. How About an downend and rightend function

I have to use a OFFSET fuction for a dinamic array and I was thinking is a good idea have the posibility to use a new function for detect the last column/row in an area like in VBA. Something like:
    =OFFSET(A1,1,0,1,COUNTA(RIGHTEND(A1,1)))

where RIGHTEND be like
    =RIGHTEND(cell_reference,0 or 1 can be right or left)

Same case for DOWNEND
    = DOWNEND(cell_reference, 0 or 1 for up or down)

It can be vey practical.

Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to use cell colors in formulas

I had a 30x100 grid with 2 colors and I wanted to count how many cells there were of each color in each column. Filtering did not work as I expected it to and it would have been so cool if there was just a formula for it, though I can see how it'd be difficult to implement.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. somase

essa formula só considera 15 caractere e despreza os demais conforme exemplo anexo

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I believe that a comprehensive conversion function for "Decimal Feet" to "Feet and Inches with Fractional inches" would be very welcome.

I believe that a comprehensive conversion function for "Decimal Feet" to "Feet and Inches with Fractional inches" would be very welcome. Input would be decimal feet, output would be feet, apostrophe (standard abbreviation for "feet"), integer part of feet, and fractional remainder reduced to nearest 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, or 1/64.
    Example: 10.70833 would convert to 10' 8 1/2"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. named range fix - excel 2016

Named Range fix required due to re-occurrence of previous issues in Excel 2016

This relates to named ranges being lost when duplicate names used at scope workbook and worksheet used between linked workbooks.

http://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3604&hilit=disappear%E2%80%A6

I have examples of files where the order that workbooks are opened affects whether named ranges appear/disappear or not and hence whether formulas work or return errors.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Kelly Criterion

I think it would be easy and cool if Excel had a Kelly Criterion function. You would only need two inputs from the user (potential profit as a percentage of wager and percent chance of winning). This would allow Excel to return the percentage of bankroll to risk.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 37 38
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base