Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Formula for checking validation compliance

It'd be great to have a formula (no vba) to check that the value in a cell complies with that cell's validation rules.

Since validation can be bypassed with things like paste-to-value, it'd be useful to have a formulaic way to check on entries after they're entered.

This is also useful for validation with conditional lists. (For example when the validation list switches depending on the value of another cell.) What can happen here is that the validation list can change but there's no way to alert the user that the value in the cell, while compliant with the previous…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I would like to be able to "Flash" data or background color to draw attention to a cell if a certain condition is met.

I would like to be able to "Flash" data or background color to draw attention to a cell if a certain condition is met.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. when calculating the amount of days difference between specific dates, give the user an option to decide what it shows if it is a negative i

Using Today and another date, in my case a fee renewal date, to get the number of days between the dates, if it is a negative, allow the user the option of what to show instead of #NUM!, in my case I would use either Current or Renew not yet due.

My spreadsheet, using the If then function, shows Current if less then 30 days but if -ve shows #NUM!. It also shows Arrears - 30 days, arrears 60 days arrears 90 days and if a year past then it is Lapsed. This all works great except for when they…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show ALL links in 'Edit links' window

1) It'd be practical, if ALL external data references are shown in the 'data' tab of the ribbon.

Currently, if a pivot table uses external data, this is not showing up here, but only in the 'data' section of the 'PivotTable Analyze' tab of the ribbon.

2) Side note: overall consistency.

This is probably asking a lot, but I don't understand why the 'edit links' button is greyed out when there are no external links (not counting those to pivot tables), but the 'queries & connections' button is not greyed out when there are no queries or connections used. Wouldn't…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Value.timestampMs.2

1531785519996 is the tmestamp i'm trying to convert into actual date and time

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Excel should create "if" "then" statement that involves vlookup.

Excel should create "if" "then" statement that involves vlookup.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Evaluate Formula Readability

There needs to be a huge update regarding the Evaluate Formula.
    I'm sure those using this feature are not trying to see simple calculations done.

For me, I might create a report that has a cell calculate multiple IFs within IFs that have embedded functions.

with this in mind, it would be a huge advantage to the user if the Evaluate Formula has the following upgrades:

1. able to expand the window.
    the window currently is too small and only allows to view simple calculations.

2. color code what is being calculated.
    with everything being the same color it is…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow the use Structured References in Textbox

Enable Excel to link Text Boxes (Textboxes) to table values using Structured Table References.
    Currently, linking the textbox to a defined name that contains a structured table reference results in a "Reference isn't valid" message.

Attempting to link the textbox directly to a structured reference results in an error stating "This formula is missing a range reference or a defined name"

To reproduce this behavior:
    Set up RangeName: PC01_ID
    RangeName Formula: =Table_Progress_Chart_01[[#Totals],[Slice 2]]

Try linking a text box to: =PC01_ID

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Function box layout

The way the functions are displayed in Excel for Windows is really easy to navigate by topics. Excel for Mac you have to scroll and cannot filter the functions by functionality.
    Can you make it available, similar to what we have for Windows?

Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. For stock data, in addition to PE,it would VERY useful to have also others metrics such as P/B, P/S, P/FCF, etc. (for industry + company)

For stock data, in addition to PE, it would VERY useful to have also others metrics such as P/B, P/S, P/FCF, etc. (for both the company and its sector and or peers)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Your "Amortization" template in Excel contains a small error.

The total of the principal (column H) paid back is less that the amount of the original loan (cell E3) since the final interest portion owning with the final payment ((I36) is deducted from the outstanding balance rather than being added to it to determine the final payment. Small difference but needs to be corrected.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Toggle Relative/Absolute for Structured References

When referencing a table column, it's cumbersome to add the additional square brackets and repeat the column name to make the reference absolute.

It'd be great if the F4 shortcut could also work in this, so toggling
    tablename[ColName] --> tablename[[ColName]:[ColName]] --> tablename[ColName], or, when referencing the same row from within the table,
    @[ColName] --> [@[ColName]:[ColName]] --> @[ColName]

Many thanks,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Text to Formula

A formula to convert text to a formula; which is essentially the exact opposite of the FORMULATEXT function, or in a way, what the INDIRECT function does with cell references but with formulas.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. creare una formula nuova

creare una formula o una funzione che permetta di bloccare il valore di risposta quando avviene la corrispondenza tra una casella con un collegamento DDE e una casella con un valore fisso.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Consolidate error with Linking

When you use LINK, the SUM function adds hidden rows and gives an incorrect total.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Anchor period during formula entry.

Upon upgrading to Excel version l 365 16.0.11328, I lost the ability to anchor formula ranges with the period key instead of the colon. Prior to this version, hitting the period would insert a colon so that I could complete a cell range. Could this functionality be added back to the "Transition Navigation Keys" option?

Having started with Lotus 123 back in the 1980's, I still use "Transition Navigation Keys." Using the period during formula entry has become second nature and is embedded in my muscle memory. Please kindly consider this for your more "seasoned" Excel users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Error en realizar resta en excel.

Hola, al realizar la resta de dos números me da un resultado erróneo.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. guida

Inserire icona riduci

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. colonne

Prevedere l'inserimento multiplo di colonne.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add Error Checking For Shape Textbox

The textbox I have added to my shape uses a cell reference for its content. Even though the cell reference is =#REF!, the error checking ignores this.

Error Checking should check for bad cell references contained in text boxes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 49 50
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base