Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Validation Lists to work with Freeze Panes when it is the border column

When a column is assigned as a validation list where the dropdown arrow appears to the right of the column, if this column is used as the border of your freeze pane, once you scroll the right side away from the Home position, the arrow no longer displays for the dropdown. Users must return tot the home position to change the dropdown value.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. cannot locate a cell that is circular referenced so as to enab

devise a way to find a circular referenced cell so as to enable deleting of one or both cells or at lease closing the workbook

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Fix printing text-heavy excel sheets with non-monospace fonts

Currently if you are using a non-monospace font, when you print a text-heavy excel document, the row heights are different after printing than what you see on screen. This makes it difficult if it's a professional document and you need all rows to be uniform and not have a lot of empty space everywhere. Is there any way to fix this row-height issue so that when you're using a standard font like Arial or Calibri, that this doesn't happen? Thank you!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Incorporate ISO number formatting and scientific units as strings, provide for international format phone numbers.

The ISO, recommended format for larger numbers is the period for the decimal point and a space between a 3-digit group and another digit or more. An illustration is “1 234.456 7” and commas are not used. However, as Word 2010 defaults to ¼ Em space, this is what is used in the second space example as others display larger. When binary or hexadecimal are used, the digits are in groups of 4 with no-break space. Word uses CTRL-LSHIFT-SPACE to enter the no-break Em space character, the first in the example. ISO, 2022 defines the ESC usage, but ESC-SPACE may…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. A number format that lets you put zeros at the beginning of a number reference, like 00794411 for example.

Many utilities have zeros in front of the meter or company references(00794411), when paying invoices or bills, that have to be included to pay them and when corresponding with the utility companies, as it's not valid to them if the zeros aren't there. So there should be an option in the number formatting section for reference numbers including zeros in front, where it doesn't take away zeros in front of the reference, but lets you put as many zeros in front of it as you like.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Set as Default to Page Setup

Please add Set as Default buttons to Page Setup in all Applications, especially Excel. This will save clicks for all users, but especially for those who frequently create spreadsheets for others and need to pre-set options such as show grid lines, fit to, margins, row headers to show, etc. For our team, this is hundreds of files/thousands of clicks each year.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix conditional formatting range splitting

Conditional formatting is helpful, but it often breaks due to the ranges it applies to being split. So end up with 1000's of little rules create a nightmare.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. NSF to PST Converter Software

For all the Lotus Notes users download the trustworthy inQuit NSF to PST Converter application is capable to convert entire lotus notes to outlook PST file along with all the items. It is a very decent and effective tool to convert single as well as multiple NSF files to PST file at once with maintaining original folder structure. This converter tool smoothly runs in all updated versions OS Windows, Lotus Notes and MS Outlook (32-bit & 64-bit). You can perform conversion any large sized NSF file into PST and various platforms such that – EML, CSV, HTML, MSG, vCard, EMLX,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Outlook NSF to PST Converter Software

For instant and safest way to import entire lotus notes data from NSF file to PST Outlook formats then just download the feature-rich InQuit NSF to PST Converter Utility. It offers multiple advanced features and interactive GUI for all users. With the help of 3 simple steps, you can convert single as well as multiple NSF files into PST file along with all the items including – emails, calendars, tasks, notes, images, chats, contacts, drafts, appointments, and other items. It has features to provides 100% data security and manage the original folder hierarchy after the conversion of NSF file to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. The perfect square

I use Excel for planning architectural features in landscapes. To do this, I need to format row heights and column widths to make perfect squares. However, in your choices of shapes, I cannot choose a perfect square that allows me to size it as I wish while keeping all sides equal. Having this capability will let me choose row heights and column widths (of my choice) to match the design I'm working on.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE THE FONT SIZE ON THE TABS IN MY SPREAD SHEET

IF i COULD CHANGE THE FONT SIZE I COULD VIEW MORE TABS TO CHOOS E FROM AT ONE GLANCE

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make 1 button that does all of the following: Merge & Center, Wrap text, Left align, Top Align.

I use excel to take notes in class and when I copy and paste paragraphs into a cell and want it to look like a paragraph, I have to select the range of cells I want to merge, then merge them,. Then I have to "wrap text", then I have to left align, then I have to top align. Make 1 button that does it all. Stay classy San Diego

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. It would be helpful to move have the ability to move currency symbols in the format cells/accounting/symbol list.

The idea is to make the list of currency symbols movable in order of use. For example I work with dollars, euros and Thai Baht. When I need to format the money is the desired currency I have to use format cells, accounting, then search for the symbol. If these symbols were at the top of the list (user defined) then it would save me a lot of time. Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Version as a number format in cells

Add support for Version as a number format in cells. Allow for variance of two to four spots with the convention of major.minor.build.revision. Then do proper comparison and sorting functions with it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Default footnote font size

I would like to have a default footnote font on every document. For example, I always want my footnotes to be size 8 font, regardless of the font size on my workbook.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Manage the footer to be shorter

I use Sharepoint, so when i put the full path, I get https://domain.sharepoint.com/sites/"site name"/shared documents/folder name/sub folder name/document name
    It would be nice if i could get the footer to start at "folder name"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Create a format for elapsed time

Create a Time format where, for example, 1 minute & 30 seconds would be displayed as '1:30' or '01:30' or 10 minutes & 30 seconds would display as '10:30" ... one hour, 10 minutes, 30 seconds would display as 1:10:30 etc. In doing so, also create a corresponding formula, so this elapsed time may be added or subtracted correctly. For example: @sum .. 01:30..07:45 = 09:15 [one minute, 30 seconds (+) 7 minutes, 45 seconds (=) 9 minutes, 15 seconds]

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Adding Greenhouse Gas/Climate categories in formatting

Climate awareness is flaring but Microsoft does not add any kind of feature or function to use in any softwares such as adding a category in formatting section. For example, put "CO2e" in category section.

There is more and I can provide a bit more ideas for consideration.
    I hope that MS starts this belated features that new generations will use and hear more frequently.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 50 51
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base