Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Text Filter To Name Manager

In the Name Manager Dialog Box, enable the ability for user to enter text to filter on. Then show only the lines that contain the text entered by the user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable Named Range Re-Naming In Named Range Dropdown

When I mistakenly enter a new range name in the Range Name drop down, I cannot edit this range name until going into the Name Manager. Provide ability to overwrite the existing range name, in the same maner as when entering a new range name.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. AutoCorrect function for Excel on OneDrive

The AutoCorrect function only works on page one and two of the spreadsheet on OneDrive. It would be great to have the option to turn this on and off for all pages of the spreadsheet by going through to File > Options.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. When cutting/pasting a selection, the cursor should default to the top-left cell in the selection after paste

When cutting/pasting a selection, the cursor should default to the top-left cell in the selection after paste on the source

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make the project references dialog box big enough or scroll so we can see the full path and file name of the reference.

Make the project references dialog box big enough (or scroll) so we can see the full path and file name of the reference. The current dialog box isn't big enough to see the full reference to the path and file name of the file referenced.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. find and replace, invert and clear buttons

on the Excel Find and Replace dialogue:
    add a button to the left of the Options button to invert/reverse/swap the values in the Find and Replace fields, and another to clear both the Find and Replace values and plant the cursor in the Find field.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. checkout broken

With any Sharepoint file where version control is activated, you would normally get a prompt asking you to checkout the file before you modify it.
    Now, I got this Sharepoint Libary that I synch locally using the latest OneDrive (thank god, it now lets you decide which files you want to keep locally!).
    But here's the thing: I no longer get the checkout prompt in Excel, and the worse part is that I can't edit the file because Excel has openned it in read-only.
    Even though I checkout the file manually on Sharepoint, it still opens the file in read-only…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Display Font Formats in Formula Bar

Enable ability to display font changes when viewing formula (or text) in the formula bar.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Restore keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Sh+0 functionality to unhide column

Up to Excel 2003, the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Sh+0 would unhide a column or columns. Since the shortcut isn't being used for anything else, please restore the functionality

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. allow people to globally remove features

Excel 2019 has added a few features that are hindering accountants and others from being able to be productive. Trying to "disable" those functions do not work. I created a new column, adjacent to a Contract Number Column. In the new column, I needed to take either the last 5 digits or the last 6 digits on the Contract Number in the new column. When I put in the formula in the first cell, ALL the cells in that column became populated with the formula. When I tried to change the formula in a cell below (since I needed the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to deselect cells with ctrl+click in Office 2016

How is it possible that this was "accidentally enabled" in Office 2016 and now they turned it off? How is it not a basic function already?
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel/Unable-to-deselect-in-excel/m-p/363008/highlight/true#M26886

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add append and prepend options to find the find and replace dialogue box.

Right now the only way of appending or prepending something to cell contents is to use a concat function which can be a hassle depending on the contents.

Alternatively adding full regex functionality to the search/find and replace function would be even better!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Paste Special - number format only.

Paste Special - number format only

The only past special options on number format are associated with either a formula or value. Oftern I need to standard formats across a number of cells and this functionality would allow this without using Paste formats which pastes all cells format styles - font, border, colour fill, etc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "Ctrl+A" shortcut in the excel formula bar

Hi there!
    It would be a great help for my work if "Ctrl+A" shortcut was working in the excel formula bar.
    Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Un-protect a worksheet/workbook for excel online

Can we please get a way to un-protect a worksheet without having to open the file in offline excel in edit mode?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel's Evaluate Formula could benefit from undoing calculations (going backwards)

The Evaluate Formula feature is great but could benefit by being able to go backwards in the calculation as well as going forward. Many times I've had to start over multiple times just to fully capture what is happening during a complex formula that could have been MUCH easier if I could step back one or more calculations instead of stepping all the way through or starting over.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. A way to insert lines or columns

There is no current easy/quick way or symbol to push or no entry in the :Help symbol whereby one can enter a new line or column on the chart you are working with

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cell formatting shall be preserved when pasting ranges in a protected sheet (as if paste formulas or paste values where the only option).

When copy/pasting into a range of unlocked cells in a protected worksheet, the paste of formats shall be discarded (as if paste formulas or paste values where the only option).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. insert mutiple blank rows/columns with once command

please provide an option to insert more than one row or column when inserting

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. use arrow keys when editing text in dialog boxes

When editing dialog boxes such as the Data Validation box, using an arrow key doesn't move you within the text but instead puts a cell reference into a formula. Please make it work like Excel functions which only put the cell in if you are entering the formula for the first time, but otherwise use the arrow keys to move around. Or better still make this toggleable by pressing F2.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base