Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Save a copy" should not behave the same as "save as" for Excel (.xls*) formats

The behaviour of the "save a copy" functionality is not intuitive and contrary to the behaviour in other (non-Microsoft) tools.

When I choose to save a copy of my Excel file (in one of the xls* formats) I do expect Excel to keep my original file open. Instead "save a copy" behaves exactly like "save as", i.e. the newly saved file is the one open in Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I cant' open (.xlsx) files Directly click on file

I can't oppen (.xlsx) directy. When open this type of fils first open microsoft excel and after select file then it's open.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use default windows explorer for saving files. Your unique UI sucks ***

Your Save / Save As UI is terrible. Why did you create something new when you could've defaulted to an experience 100% of your users are already familiar with?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Let us say NO with N when not saving instead of save as being default

It was so simple... I am done with the current dummy sheet Book1... CTRL+W to close... N for no.
    Now because the pop up gives me a SAVE AS by default from book 1, when I instinctlively hit N as I have for years, that is the new file name... I want my N back please

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Stop trying to enforce OneDrive, its so annoying...

I cant even use the autosave feature locally... At this point I wish there were an alternative to Microsoft Office... This is the worst thing about having a product that is owned by a company that has lots of different services... Sooner or later it will try to enforce their own garbage to the user. The perfect example is edge with the bing search engine... Grow on a pair Microsoft.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. while pasting the file from a mail to a folder-

if its the same name available in the folder its asking to replace, but in many cases we do wanted to keep the Old name as it is, however in order to retain we were intended to go and change the Old name in the folder and pasting the new file in order to avoid replace. But while pasting itself if we have an Option to change the name of the file which we are pasting would have been good and it will make ease and save the time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Speichern von archivfähigem PDF/A

Bei Speichern einer Datei als PDF kann man diese als "PDF/A-kompatibel" speichern. Die neuen Versionen von Excel speichern aber nur noch PDF/A-3-Dateien. PDF/A-3 ist jedoch nicht für die Langzeitarchivierung geeignet, siehe https://kost-ceco.ch/cms/pdf-a-3.html. Für die Langzeitarchivierung sind nur PDF/A-1 und PDF/A-2 geeignet, siehe https://kost-ceco.ch/cms/pdf-a-1.html und https://kost-ceco.ch/cms/pdf-a-2.html. Man sollte auswählen können, in welcher PDF/A-Version man speichern will. Das sollte bei einem der nächsten Updates eingebaut werden (bei einem Update, nicht bei einer kostenpflichtigen neuen Version).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow login info to be pasted from password manager when logging into MoneyInExcel

In MoneyInExcel I would like to be able to paste login info from password manager.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Quick acess office "document ABC" turn on web browser icons pop up with your go to places. turn on computer make recent documents quick icon

Quick access: office "document ABC" turn on web browser icons pop up with your go to places. turn on computer make recent documents quick icon.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Office 365 > Excel - Version Tagging

Currently I use SaveAs to save a excel (word, PPT) to mark a major change. For example, I changed a mega formula in excel which is accurate but slow, to a 2 lines of formula. Though version is created, I could not find which version I made the changes. I am back to using SaveAs with hint in the file name. If there is any other option which I am not aware of let me know or create provision to tag the version and tag explorer for Version control, so that I can pull that version easily.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. BUG: Excel looks for printer when I try to save a new doc to my OneDrive

EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to save a new document to my OneDrive, my computer will freeze with the spinning blue wheel and tries to find a printer for around ~5 minutes. Occasionally I will have to complete force quit to get the wheel to stop spinning.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. "Save As" folder options for Excel 2016

My most recently used folder(s) should pop up when I am using "Save As". I currently have to click through the entire pathway to get to the folders I need and it becomes very time-consuming.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. How do I prevent Excel from redisplaying multiple minimized open documents when opening a new document?

Excel 365, minimized workbook pops up when opening another workbook from explorer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow workbooks to open in full screen, like it used to, not just tiled, horizontal, vertical, & cascade

When opening multiple workbooks, allow an option for each workbook to be opened full screen - tiled is too small to be able to pick out the individual workbook to be viewed and then move to the next needed workbook when doing accounting functions, horizontal, vertical, & cascade cause similar issues. The workbooks opened this way in Office 2010 and then you could choose to change it to a different opening setting if you preferred. Please go back to the full page opening - this is especially helpful for two screen operation as then two full workbooks can be viewed…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. saving excel file

Saving Excel File takes forever if the file is big.

Breaking down the process
    save changes only to those modified sheets in the workbook. really improve performance!
    Rest are nontouched or already saved content...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. "automatic except for data tables"

You should be able to save the Excel Options > Formulas > Calculation Options > Workbook Calculation setting permanently. No matter what workbook was opened first or last.

The problem is when you use data tables often (in my company's case they are in every spreadsheet for a specific department), across many different workbooks, it is annoying to have to constantly turn the setting to "Automatic Except for Data Tables" every time you open a file that didn't have this setting last. It slows the spreadsheet down considerably. I just want to turn it off and keep it off. No…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ability to combine multiple spreadsheets from explorer

would be a great idea to have the ability to selecting multiple spreadsheets from explorer, then right clicking mouse and selecting 'combine' and all the sheets from the multiple files combines into a single spreadsheet workbook file...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Time settings for Autosave

I suggest that there is a feature to change the time intervals that the file autosaves. Maybe that if working on a file alone, you can set it to every 5,10,15..... mins, but as soon as you are collaborating, it switches to the normal way

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. drop-down at top of application should include filename and path

There's a wee dropdown at the top of Excel (next to the search box) with the filename in it. This should also give us the file name and path, copied to the clipboard.

Use case: I'm in a spreadsheet w/ a 60 character name, but "open file location" doesn't select the file from among the other files in the directory, and I can't copy the name from anywhere convenient: File Save As will work & I can copy the name from the dialog, but this is far less convenient.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base