Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. No Wi-Fi use of Office

I often copy files from my home PC to a USB stick so that I can work on them with laptops at cabin - no internet access there. Why can't I configure Excel, Word, etc. to not use OneDrive?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable date and time shortcut in file saving window

I majorly work on one main master file, i used to update very frequently.
    While saving file name i use date or time at the end of file name to find the recent one. If you enable shortcuts "Ctrl" + ";" for date and "Ctrl" + "Shift" + ";" for time which will be so useful for me.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. GIFs as Password

Could you please build an Add-in for MS Excel that allow us to set GIFs as password to the files?

Advantage/Need:
    1> Enhanced user experience (exciting/funny to use them).
    2> Need it as an Add-in so that this change could be reverted if required.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Shared Spredsheet

Hello. I use a VBA automation to save information in only place in my actual job, but i had some problems with shared spreadsheet. when many users save in same file this file grow up own size and crash it.

Have a solution to me work with this shared Spreadsheet or other way without a databases?

the cod to save sheet:

Workbooks("Banco_Negócios.xlsx").Close SaveChanges:=True

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Setup Configurable - File Name Process in Settings.

Have the Ability to default a File Name, instead of book1.xls

Eg. We would like to set the date get YYYYMMDDVersionInitials_Filename.xls

Eg, 20200831JVMyexcelfile.xls

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. export to csv without saving as

Excel in recent editions has the 'export' function. It would be nice to add the posibility of exporting from an excel file without the 'save as' process.
    In this feature it would be good to include the wishes elsewhere to manage the csv file, as an example manual control of comma vs semi colon.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Different background colour on Pinned items

On file, open, recent, make pinned folders or worksheets stand out more clearly by having different background colour

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Checkbox next to the filename to save or discard on close, with changeable default

A very frustrating user experience could be avoided.

This selector/switch/checkbox could be anywhere on the title bar, perhaps to the left of the window control buttons.

The default behavior could be a changeable preference setting. This option could allow for context, such as if the file is new or recently used then it will always save on exit. (It could even highlight somehow, indicating a save location needs to be assigned.)

Closing windows is so annoying and problematic; please fix this.

It would vastly lower the number of reboot and other complications.

All Microsoft products should do this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. auto save features limitation

auto save feature doesnt work when an object is inserted. If the object is included as an object and is not linked to any external update, then it should let us auto save. In case there is any hindrance found, apart from just mentioning it (which is necessary as a first step to inform) then it should be able to provide resolution to, For this it may ask for certain changes to be impacted - however the verbiage used should be simple for a layman / child / adult / and other personas of the difficult types (not savvy personas).…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Excel 2019 / 365 file corrupt issue

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10-mso_o365b/power-query-solutions-for-vertical-column-data-to/978a23da-3f4c-460e-ba99-bd31141b8095?messageId=ee538783-6197-4353-bc92-e46bb824b13e

Recently I have been getting File corrupt errors when I try to open files created in 2019.

There are several files to download in the above link.

The last one, in Andreas reply 2020 07 28 4:52 AM.

He created it in 2019.
    I downloaded, tried to open in 365 ... File corrupt error
    Opened it Excel 2010 no problem ... WTF!
    SAVE As to a new file name, no other changes
    Opened the new file name in Excel 365 no problem ... ???

Excel 365 Version 2006 (Build 13001.20384 Click-to-Run)
    Excel 365 PowerQuery Run) Version 2.82.5858.241…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. "Excel File Types Only" option to limit what gets added to my recent files list.

I open a lot of temporary csv files to get data from the web, and I never reopen those files from disk, but they fill up my Excel recent files list so I don't see my recent Excel files. To make the recent files list more useful, I want it to only show recent files of Excel types (xlsx, xlsm, etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add a CSV mode

Excel is currently designed so that the CSV file format is not an Excel file format. The "Open" and "Save" functions make this clear.

However, if Excel had a "CSV mode", it could be the world's leading CSV editor. Such a mode would be able to be associated with .csv files and would remove all the Excel features that create data that cannot be saved in the CSV format. While in this mode, the file would by default be saved as a CSV.

If a user wanted to use Excel's full functionality with the file, they would need to enable…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ask security questions to recover or reset forgotten document password or worksheet/workbook lock

I can't remember my password from 4 years ago, so asking me a set of security questions to allow me to reset or recover my password would be helpful. Or at least give me the option to set up security questions so that I can recover my password.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. "Save a copy" should not behave the same as "save as" for Excel (.xls*) formats

The behaviour of the "save a copy" functionality is not intuitive and contrary to the behaviour in other (non-Microsoft) tools.

When I choose to save a copy of my Excel file (in one of the xls* formats) I do expect Excel to keep my original file open. Instead "save a copy" behaves exactly like "save as", i.e. the newly saved file is the one open in Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I cant' open (.xlsx) files Directly click on file

I can't oppen (.xlsx) directy. When open this type of fils first open microsoft excel and after select file then it's open.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Use default windows explorer for saving files. Your unique UI sucks ***

Your Save / Save As UI is terrible. Why did you create something new when you could've defaulted to an experience 100% of your users are already familiar with?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Let us say NO with N when not saving instead of save as being default

It was so simple... I am done with the current dummy sheet Book1... CTRL+W to close... N for no.
    Now because the pop up gives me a SAVE AS by default from book 1, when I instinctlively hit N as I have for years, that is the new file name... I want my N back please

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Stop trying to enforce OneDrive, its so annoying...

I cant even use the autosave feature locally... At this point I wish there were an alternative to Microsoft Office... This is the worst thing about having a product that is owned by a company that has lots of different services... Sooner or later it will try to enforce their own garbage to the user. The perfect example is edge with the bing search engine... Grow on a pair Microsoft.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base