Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Clearly show a workbook is no longer shared

Have a clear option to stop sharing a file - I sometimes share a file and then later want to remove all shares. While I think I've removed them all, I'm never 100% sure I've completely removed all sharing options. Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remove threaded comment warning

It would be helpful if when trying to view threaded comments on an older version of excel, there wasn't a long warning shown every time.

Because of this, you cant just quickly hover to view the comment. You have to go in and format the comment box to make it much bigger in order to actually view the comment that follows the warning. This can be very time consuming. Would be better if the comment box was just made view only or a warning popped up only after you try to edit the text.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Workflow email notifications

I would like to see a workflow style email notifications, base upon condition and changes. The “recipient” should get information of what was changed, of course this will be for a OneDrive or SharePoint saved file

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Be able to assign a task to and individual from a cell in excel, that populates that individuals "task" in outlook

Be able to assign a task to and individual from a cell in excel, that populates that individuals "task" in outlook

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Please allow to restrict edit privilege to specific users shared via link.. not only computers on network

Currently the allow edit range works only for computers/users on a network.. But in my office, we have multiple sites and share files via link.. and I would like to restrict certain columns to certain users only.

Basically expand the allow edit range to users shared over link as well

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make Outlook more trans-friendly / accessible for non-binary users

Use "they" when someone shares their Outlook calendar instead of "his or her."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fix Co-Authoring with Desktop App

Co-authoring with SharePoint Online and Excel desktop applications is a plague for years. This has to be the most common problem that keeps coming back up over and over. For whatever reason Excel files become read-only locked for all users accept for the last person that made an edit with the desktop application. All other users are prompted to save a copy of the file.

Microsoft you need to figure this issue out. Devise a way for the local office cache to resolve itself, or fix autosave, or the other myriad of options which is causing this ongoing conflict to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Track changes request

Request is to enhance the track changes

1- Give us the possibility to track changes on specific sheet.

Often we have a sheet for data processing and we do not wanted to track changes on that specific sheet.

2- Track changes only in a specific area of a sheet

Same as previous but apply to a specific region of a sheet as not the whole sheet need to have changes to be track

3-Have the history sheet always visible

To see history we have to go inside track option and enable the track sheet, in intensive review session we would…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Reminders

This applies to scenarios where making a workbook a shared file so everyone can edit at the same time isn't feasible

Sometimes when multiple people are trying to work within the same workbook, the person who is currently working in the spreadsheet will forget about it if multi-tasking and doing other things. The other people waiting have no idea if the other person is actually still working in the workbook or forgot about it or worse, is away from their desk. A solution to this would be to create a reminder that pops-up in the workbook with two buttons after…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Hide resolved comments

Archiving or option to hide resolved comments!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel Workbook Collaborative Reminders

This applies to scenarios where making a workbook a shared file so everyone can edit at the same time isn't feasible

Sometimes when multiple people are trying to work within the same workbook, the person who is currently working in the spreadsheet will forget about it if multi-tasking and doing other things. The other people waiting have no idea if the other person is actually still working in the workbook or forgot about it or worse, is away from their desk. A solution to this would be to create a reminder that pops-up in the workbook with two buttons after…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Tracking changes with Shared Excel file

I have a shared Excel 2016 file for which I am setting the track changes to show all changes by everyone on screen. After I save, close and open the file. The setting does not stay to highlight that changes were done by me to the next user.
    Here is the full post from the forums : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10-mso_2016/tracking-changes-with-shared-excel-file/e20f7ef5-45dd-4533-abde-9e06bafda249?messageId=a1865418-f628-4bcf-b2b8-254a9c00a6cb
    I wish it worked without the bug.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Email worksheet as pdf

These are currently two separate export options, email vs export to pdf.
    So emailing a worksheet as pdf turns into a six steps process: 1) export to pdf; 2) choose folder and save; 3) switch to outlook; 4) create email; 5) add attachment; 6) choose folder then pdf file. If lucky, it can go a couple steps down when outlooks prelists recent pdf created as attachment candidates.
    The current option available in excel "Email as PDF attachment" converts whole workbook as PDF for Mail attachment.

Can we improve on this and add a pop option similar to the option we…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. @mentions to show up in MS Teams activity feed

Currently when you @mention a user on a comment inside Excel they only get an email notification. When the file resides in MS Teams it seems logical that an @mention should show up in the activity feed. It's confusing to use Teams for collaboration (communication and file sharing) and then need to rely on the @mention notification to come from another platform (email).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enhance the share button for Excel, Word, and PPT.

Add more share options and not just OneDrive and Email. Share via Teams, integrate the Box share plug-in (instead of a separate button), Yammer, To-Do, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Opção de aplicação de filtros diferentes para pastas de trabalho compartilhadas.

Utilizo o Office 365 exclusivamente para compartilhar (mais de um usuario colaborar) com a alimentação de uma tabela no Excel. Lembro que antes, quando um usuario utilizava um filtro na tabela, isso não era aplicado a outros usuarios, o que acaba permitindo que cada colaborador podesse utilizar seu proprio filtro e trabalhar nos campos da tabela que lhe fossem mais uteis. Agora, quando um colaborador aplica um filtro, esse filtro é aplicado a todos os usuarios. Gostaria que implementassem uma maneira para que cada colaborador da planilha podesse utilizar seu proprio filtro de acordo com sua necessidade.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Regarding encryption of cells and formula

Recently I have created an excel file in which some of the cells are locked and hidden as those cells contains a logical formula that I don't want to show to others. It is working fine with every application across the Mobile and desktop including 3rd party application like WPS also. But when I opened it through "SHEET" - an android application then every cell which is locked and hidden as well as password-protected is now editable through SHEET application. So please look into this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please provide the feature of tracking the changes made by co-authors in word, excel and powepoint

Please provide the feature of tracking the changes made by co-authors in word, excel and powepoint

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please provide the feature of tracking the changes made by co-authors in word, excel and powepoint

Please provide the feature of tracking the changes made by co-authors in word, excel and powepoint

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Prepayments Template for Finance

I have created a prepayments schedule for book-keepers and accountants. Would this prove useful for any one?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base