Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. curser position when opening the filter window

when clicking the filter in a column, curser should be active in the data field. in this way the text can be typed in immediately

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I would like you to implement the creation of new spreadsheet tabs, within a spreadsheet tab.

I would like you to implement the creation of spreadsheet tabs, within a tab of a spreadsheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multisetting dropdown list for data evaluation and filtering function

I would like to use a multi/selection dropdown list to include several parameters to a field. Then I want to use the same multi/selection dropdown list in the autofilter function for selection of the filter parameters. The items for filtering are with OR. I don't want to see the different combinations of the items in the filtering selection list. The table shall show all lines which include the items of the filtering list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add "Sort by date modified"

Add the possibility to sort by date modified (oldest to newest and vice-versa) even when the cell contents are not a date.

Alternately, add a =DateModified() function so that the dates can be automatically pulled rather than manually input.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. fetching one to many matching records like SQL query

Since table can expand itself based on the number of rows, an SQL query like feature to fetch all the matching records from other Excel table can be brought in. Like SQL, all the other column values can be replicated to the matching records as required.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. calendar to record employees on daily basis

Month to month calendar to record daily activities eg. payroll on daily basis in excel eg names and days worked at pay scale. To be able to insert a calendar into a spreedsheet

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Find to not copy option

Row to column not copy to another sheet to data copy

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Hello! As of today many of

Hello! As of today (28-sep-2020) me and my coworkers have found that whenever we delete the filters in a table, the selection of cells and some other functions stop working as they should and we need to close EVERY Excel file we have open. This happens only when we use the filter in the Ribbon, because most of us have it customized. Hope you can solve this soon!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. When using filters on table, the ability to move onto the next part of the data using small arrow next to filter icon.

When you filter information to make it easier to review as the information on the table is a lot, therefore you need to move onto the next part, but currently you have to go onto the icon select the next piece of data and deselect the current piece of data to review next part of info, my Suggestion is to have small arrow next to the filter icon on the table to allow you to move up or down on the next part of the data without selecting and deselecting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Consistent behavior when copying entire rows with active filter

While working with Excel I encountered inconsistent behavior when copying entire rows while having active filters. The problem occurs when some columns are hidden. Copying an entire row which include some hidden columns does copy hidden and visible cells. If now a filter is applied and active the behavior changes: Now hidden cells in a row are not copied anymore. This has been tested on Office 2016 (16.0.5044.1000) and Office 365. I have tested on multiple machines with multiple users and was always able to reproduce this. During further testing I noticed that this can only be reproduced on Windows…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. remove duplicate column

Remove duplicate column option. Within Excel we already have the ability to remove duplicate rows (within one ore more columns … though we do not have the ability to remove duplicate columns (within one or ore rows).

We also have the ability to transpose data, though would rather not have to 1st transpose data in order to then remove duplicates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Search functionality in a combo box with multiple cols.

How do I create a macro that looks for a string in combo box columns data and show only matching results in excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make filter arrows smaller or place them on same line as headings (A, B, C, etc)

The arrows used for filtering take up too much space.

I end up having to make columns wider than they need to be, just so I can see the title text in the heading cell.

Can you make the arrows much smaller, or place them in the header,
    alongside the letters?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow a table column to be easily used as input range on drop-down form control

1. Allow a table column to be used as the Input Range in a Combo Box form control. Example "Customer[Name]". See attachment.

2. With a multi-step process, I am able to define a name for the column and use it. Example "CustomerName=Customer[Name]". However, (BUG) if I edit the Cell link, Excel erases the Input Range.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Sort by surname

A column of full names (ie first and last) could be sorted by surname

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make freeze top row work consistently when filters are also used. Has been an issue for many versions.

Freeze Top Row, when combined with filters often leads to unexpected behavior. Today, the first row is not freezing on my sheet when I have filters enabled. There are also issues with cells not accepting focus (or at least displaying that focus has been accepted).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Inverse Filter

Allow to inverse filter selection with one click.

While analyzing data, I have have to change the filter to the opposite, to crosscheck. Depending on the formats and data quantity it can be time consuming

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Clear All Filters for a table

These days most worksheets have a lot of columns and are used collaboratively. As a result various users can put filters on columns of their choice, and when I see the worksheet I need to go clear all the filters to be able to see the full data. Instead of having to go to each column to clear its filter, I would rather have a single button or context/menu option to clear all filters.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Locate collapsible row toggles better

I know how to create collapsible rows in excel by using the group data tool, but I don't like how it places the (+) and (-) down a row and all the way to the left. would love to locate these toggles in the same cell as the header of the data you are collapsing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Table from image

Table from image - which is available on phones should also be made available for desktop app.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base