Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Pivot Table "Merge & Center" option to be toggled per field in the field settings

Currently for Pivot Tables, you are only able to toggle "Merge and center cells with labels" for the entire report. In practice, we usually only want to merge and center the header fields.

This could be easily solved if there is an option under each field setting, similar to how you are allowed to change other layout options individually for each field currently. I imagine it shouldn't be too much work to follow the same logic as what's already in place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. error message pivot table field name is not valid

Please identify WHICH pivot table is causing the problem. when you have a spreadsheet with many many pivots on many tables, this error means that you have to manually search each pivot table until you find the one (or more) that is causing the problem. in fact, because pivot tables based on tables can get messed up if you delete table columns, even if you figure out which data set is causing the problem, you still have to manually adjust (change data) for each one of the pivots based on the table. Excel should adjust the data range on pivots…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel should add automatic "Dashboard" templates design as an option in its template area

Excel should add automatic "Dashboard" templates design as an option in its template area

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add "Edit Measure" to right-click context menu for PivotTable Fields Values Pane

When I want to edit a PowerPivot measure, I generally want to edit a measure I'm *already* using.

I don't want to scroll through a whole bunch of tables in the fields list trying to find it. I just want to right-click on that Measure right from the PivotTable Fields Values Pane where I can already see it, and do it right from there.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Suppress Zero Values in Pivot Tables

Many other software programs that aggregate data in a similar manner as pivot tables allow or even default to an option that suppresses zero values. This would be extremely helpful to consolidate the table down when I am pivoting on data that has a lot of open dimensions that won't have values.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please include power pivot in O365 Business

Please include Power Pivot in O365 Business

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. be able to sort pivot fields when im using it like filter not only when im using it like rows

be able to sort pivot fields when im using it like filter not only when im using it like rows

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Pivot table case sensitive fields

In Pivot Table field settings let the user choose the option "Case Sensitive", which will separate rows (or columns) that are grouped together because of the way Pivot Table deal with text fields.
    It is most important for Salesforce users that retrieve objects ID's which are case sensitive (in their 15 characters mode).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. slicer red x

FIX SLICER RED X ON FILTER
    Since upgrading to Office 365, all my slicers now have red X on the filter button, regardless of any filtering. In 2016, the X turned red only when the slicer was filtered, otherwise it was greyed out. Now, in 365, ALL slicers ALWAYS have a red x. No way of scanning quickly to see which slicers are filtered. They all LOOK like they are filtered, whether they are or not.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Combined Slicers

Having a lot of slicers gets messy and they take up a lot of room. It would be nice if there were an option to have all slicers live in one slicer window, with a dropdown or tabs at the top to select which slicer to view.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Change the sum function to subtraction

Today when a pivot table is made and we ask you to add a total on some level, the excel adds. You could have an option to change the sum function to subtraction. For exemple I would like to substraction two lines, today I made de pivot tables, copy and paste the table and I add a substracion at the line subtotal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow me to create Pivot Table Items based on values of Columns

I have a charge number for a project that has the same prefix for all elements in CLIN 000x (0001, 0002, 0003, 0004) and want to do some Grouping on those.

No problem, I can create groups easily in the Pivot Table. I could create a column in my data. Modifying the data, as we all know, is tiresome.

Initially, I used the Excel Group feature to Consolidate everything into ChargeNumber2 as a value I could use in my ROWS or COLUMNS. However, I want to do some MATH against that group which doesn't happen because the grouping doesn't actually…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Distinct Count in Pivot Tables

I wanted to group values in pivot tables, but also do a distinct count. Pivot table doesn't allow you to do both. Can someone please provide an update excel to perform this feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. pivotchart - (1) sometimes I only want to chart one or two of the columns but that forces me to update my table which affects other results

it would be good if when you run a pivot chart based on a pivot table you can drop a column of data from the chart without affecting base table. I use the pivot chart to summarise a number of variables but I want the chart to only show one or two of the variables.

Also when displaying data I like to use more than one pivot table, however you then have to update filters separately. it would be good if filters can be linked on more than one table so that they only need to be updated once. (I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow slicers on protected sheets to be USED but not edited

When we protect a worksheet, we can choose whether to edit objects.

...If we uncheck this box, slicers can't be used. They become useless decoration.

...If we check this box, slicers and all other objects on the sheet, can be selected, moved, resized, and deleted.

Please allows us to protect our objects while also allowing us to use our slicers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. remove automatic grouping

I don't like that the PivotTable automatically does time grouping. I want to make the choice to group, not have it done for me. 9 times out of 10 I don't want it grouped.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Percentage of total update to add n value

I would love an option to add the n value any time I use percentage of total xxxxx in pivot tables. Percentage of what is a very common ask when you pivot table any data and want to display any of the percentage of total options. Currently you need to have one column or row that displays the counts or sum (or whatever variable you are using) and a second column or row to display percent. When what I really want is one column or row with percent but I always need to provide context for percent. Is it 10%…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option of not aggregating in Pivot Tables.

I like the look and ease of using Pivot Tables, but would like to view actual values instead of aggregates. I've seen this suggestion appear on several other forums, but am surprised it has not been added as a feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. smart Pivot table page break to selected Row field

When sending a report to a coworker they usually need it printed. In order to make it easy to use I have to manually add page breaks to keep row sub-fields consolidated to a page (prevent rows from running over to the next page for a field under a higher priority field). It would be great it there was the ability in power pivot to decide which field you would like to use as an automatic page break for either every new group under that field or at the last field-group that would not end up running over to the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base