Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When clicking find next for a crtl f, highlight the row of the show all drop down as you click through. Rather than only highlighting it whe

When clicking find next for a crtl f, highlight the row of the show all drop down as you click through. Rather than only highlighting it when selecting from the dropdown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When clicking find next for a crtl f, highlight

When clicking find next for a crtl f, highlight the row of the show all drop down as you click through. Rather than only highlighting it when selecting from the dropdown.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable Macabacus Productivity Add-in Compatibility - Home & Office 2019

Macabacus is a productivity suite that really cuts down on my work time because they allow you to cycle through precedents within a formula (by using arrow keys) so that whenever you click on a precedent cell within the formula, you can choose to be taken to that reference cell automatically (any tab throughout the workbook) and continue auditing the formulas in the precedent cells.

However, I've spent hours trying to incorporate this Add-in into Excel, but I think there may be some sort of issue with the 2019 Excel Release. I'm an advanced user and just purchased Excel 2019…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Tabs: Allow Visual Tab Names & Numerical Tab Names for each Tab for Cell Reference Purposes (Shorten Formulas).

It would be great if you could reformat the Tab layout. For Example, It would be helpful to have the name of the Tab at the top and under a brief description of the tab in small format. This would be great, because I could then name my tabs based on a simple convertion (e.g. numerically), so that I don't have extremely long and touch-to-navigate formulas with cell references on various tabs (Instead, I would see the Tab Name (1, 2, etc) within the formula. However, this would allow me to still view the descriptive Tab Name in Excel (e.g.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. SaveAs Versioning - Autosave Versions of Spreadsheet According to Predefined Naming Convention and Destination Folders

Is would be great if a File->SaveAs Versioning selection existed, where Excel would Save As the document under its current name with an "_#" after the file name.

For example, if I were working on a file called "Weather," it would be great if I can select "File->Save As->Version" (Alt + F, A, V), and excel would then save the file as "Weather_1" based on a numerical naming convention I can set under preferences in excel.

Archiving is extraordinary important for me, so it would be great if I could keep pressing Alt +F, A, V so that Weather_1, Weather_2,…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Create a function that brings precedents within a formula into view when the precedent cell is selected within the formula.

Macabacus offers this, but for some reason, the download is not working with Excel 2019. PLEASE create this functionality or just buy Macabacus. So much time is saved. All I needed to do with Macabacus is click on a long formula, and press the up and down keys to select a reference cell, and then like magic, I'm brough to that reference cell on a different tab, where I could do the same thing. It's very helpful for auditing. PLEASE ADD.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Hide the Collapse/Expand Group "1" and "0" Buttons on the top left of spreadsheets to create more viewable, useable space.

Usable/viewable space is very important in Excel. I can spend hours making sure all my data fits into view. Please create a solution that would hide the "Show Detail" and "Hide Detail" 1 and 0 buttons that appear on the top left of a worksheet with grouped columns/rows.

Whenever you have grouped cells in a spreadsheet, the buttons automatically appear to the top/left of Cell A1 so that you can select the 1 button to collapse grouped rows/columns and the 2 button to expand grouped columns/rows.

However, the inclusion of these 1 and 0 buttons widens the grayed out space…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Shortcut to prompt dropdown of tab names to scroll though and select

Shortcut to prompt dropdown of tab names to scroll though and select. If you have multiple tabs, you can right click to on the left/right tab scrolling arrows (located on the bottom left of the spreadsheet, to the left of the first tab name), which then promps a dialog box that lists all the tab names that you can scroll through and select. I often over 30 tabs so I have to right click on the left and right arrows whenever I want to select a specific tabs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Create iszero function

Please create ISZERO and ISONE function.

All the spreadsheets I've ever used use flags (1's and 0's), which are comprised of complex formulas that return 1's and 0's depending on the cells referenced by the formula.

For example, in the leftmost cell of a row, I can have a formula that reads: =IF(C25>=$C$5,1,0). I then I copy this formula horizontally across 40 adjacent cells horizotnal, and depending the values of adjacent reference cells (C25, D25, E25), I will have 1's and 0's throughout the row in which I create the formula.

I then proceed to create more complex periodic formulas…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Shortcut for double clicking format painter (to lock and unlock selection).

I have the format painter selection on my quick access toolbar, and I just need to click Alt +3 to activate the format painter tool.

The issue is that whenever I want to copy a cell's format to other cells scattered through a spreadsheet, I need to keep clicking Alt +3. I end up pressing Alt +3 many thousands of times a week. (Yes - I know how to paste formats).

Solution: Have a function called "Lock Format Painter" that I can add to my quick access bar as the forth tool, so I need to just press Alt+4 whenever…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. NUMEROUS ADD/SUBTRACT BUGS. aUTOSUM IS VIRTUALLY USELESS SO EVERY CALC MUST BE CHECKED WITH A HAND CALCULATOR

I HAVE SPENT 2 HOURS ON ONE SIMPLE SCHEDULE BECAUSE I NEVER GET THE SAME ANSWER TWICE. I BOUGHT A DISC, AND IST APPARENTLY HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED FOR CORRECTIOINS. CAN I GET A DOWNLOAD OF A CORRECTED VERSION AND RETURN THIS PIECE OF JUNK?
    I HAVE USED TT SINCE ABOUT 1983 AND THIS IS THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Increase Excel filename limits

Microsoft advertise that they have given us a godlike 400 character limit in OneDrive and SharePoint. Sounds good...Until you find out that not one of the Office applications supports more than 259 characters, and Excel is the clear winner at 218. Thats HALF. Not a bit less, HALF. This is borderline fraudulent, I have had customers who couldn' go to Sharepoint because of the file name limits, and after wasting a load of money on Migrations and setting up Sharepoint, all because Microsoft told us we can have 400 characters in a name, we have to revert everything back. For…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. increase character limits on filenames in the cloud

Microsoft advertise that they have given us a godlike 400 character limit in OneDrive and SharePoint. Sounds good...Until you find out that not one of the Office applications supports more than 259 characters, and Excel is the clear winner at 218. Thats HALF. Not a bit less, HALF. This is borderline fraudulent, I have had customers who couldn' go to Sharepoint because of the file name limits, and after wasting a load of money on Migrations and setting up Sharepoint, all because Microsoft told us we can have 400 characters in a name, we have to revert everything back. For…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improvement in Excel hyperlink

I use hyperlink to link 2 excel files. when source file moved to another location and then click the hyperlink in the master file i get the message as "Cannot open the specified file". Please do some improvement actions to search the source file or track the path etc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. autosize for the comments

it would be great if there was a chance to have autosize for the comments, I mean the way they are seen. Now i have to enter it manually, and if I use "inmobilize pannels" all the comments get small, and I have to make them bigger again one by one

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. What-if analysis calculates the wrong amounts when you link the sensitivity-rows dynamically to calculation; for columns this will not give

What-if analysis calculates the wrong amounts when you link the sensitivity-rows dynamically to the source calculation; hardcoded gives you the right amount; linked not

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. bar graph overlaping

It is a nightmare when you try to plot a bar graph with secondary axis... everything overlaps and you need to insert invisible data to avoid the overlap... is really complicated and time consuming, please remove that automatic overlapping when you have primary and secondary axis in a bar graph!!!! a simple graph like the attached one took me hours... and is not even perfect... the size of the bars is not exactly the same, etc etc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I wanted to extract the data from sheet1 and sheet2 with respect to date using if condition,

I have 3 sheets named as Generalized sheet, sheet2 and Sheet3,
    To copy data from sheet 2 and 3 based on the date If condition is being used.
    when the 1st if logical value is false another if condition is used (nested if).
    =IF(Sheet3!$A2=Generalized!$K$1,Sheet3!$A$2,IF(Sheet2!$A2=Generalized!$K$1,Sheet2!$A$2," "))

Sheet 3 has data in 5 cells hence the above formula is working fine.

When the formula is dragged the cell count increases and hence the formula goes wrong.

Please help me in solving this

Solution.
    can we get an update to unlock the cell once the logical condition is false.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Compact mode

Develop a compact mode for the Office suite, similar to the OneNote app.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)