Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change in Default alignment

Can we have the default alignment as top- left rather than bottom left. We use excel a lot in audit (tables of text and number data) ,and whenever we insert data, since the alignment is bottom we have to manually change it each time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When copying formulas between tables have option to keep formula intact (and not refer to old table)

Currently when you copy columns with formulas from one table to another the formulas are adjusted to still refer to the old table columns, even if the new table has all the same column names.

I would like the option (possibly in Paste Special) to just copy the formulas as is so that they refer to the new table (and not have to change them afterwards with a search and replace as we do now).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow default setting for insert or paste photo property such as "Move and Size with Cells"

Every time need to change the property of photo will be a very painful job, it will be convenient if that can be done with default property settings

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Find the number of cells that meet a certain condition

I would love it if I could find the number of cells that meet a certain condition. I'll use my current project as an example to better explain what I mean :)

So, I'm making a list of products and their prices, and I color-coded these products to make the whole sheet easier to understand. I then wanted to find the total number of blue vs red vs green cells, but I couldn't find a feature where it would count the number of cells of each color for me. There were a lot of products in this project, so I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use Goal Seek through Graph Interface

Many years ago (many versions of Excel ago), Excel used to integrate the Goal Seek function into a graph so that you could "grab/drag" a graphed value (say, the height of a bar, or a point on a broken line graph) and actually move it up or down (increasing or decreasing the graphed value). If that value came from a directly entered value in a cell (say the number 10), then Excel would give me the option of changing the "10" to a value that matched the movement on the chart. If on the other hand, the graphed value came…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Flash Fill Month in Swedish

License is Office 365 Business Premium | Version 2003 Build 16.0.12624.20348 (64bit)
    Freshly installed Office on a HP Wind10 Core i7 10th Gen.
    Default language installed is English + Swedish Language Pack installed and integrated with the application.

The default language is set to Swedish already. When we type "January" on cell A1, we drag the cell down and it automatically flash fills until December seamlessly. However, doing it in Swedish language doesn't work, ie, typing "Januari" from cell B1 and dragging it down and manually selecting Flash Fill, it does not automatically populate all the months of the year…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. que en la version de excel 365 home la posibilidad de datos geograficos

agreguen en la version de excel 365 home la posibilidad de datos de acciones y geograficos

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow conditional formatting for spilled array formulas

I use an array formula (e.g. RANDARRAY) to insert some numbers. The size of this array may vary, as the array formula is based on cells with values, which may vary.
    In the spilled array I want to highlight some values using conditional formatting. It would be useful, if the conditional formatting could be based on the size of the array, so that the area the conditional formatting applies to shrinks and grows with the size of the array.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Stop auto-uppercasing formulas

Stop or disable auto-uppercasing of formulas.

I am trying to use DDE with case sensitive formulae and everything right of the equals sign gets auto uppercased, causing it to return a N/A. I can't turn it off, and it's very difficult to find a solution since googling formulas and case sensitivity will return info on UPPER, LOWER, PROPER etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Split a SINGLE sheet into multiple splits of the same sheet that scrolled together

I want to be able to split a 50 column worksheet into multiple splits so I can view from one section to another section without scrolling all the way through the sheet. For example, in an inventory sheet, I want to split the sheet so I can view 1) description of the inventory; 2) the inventory counts; 3) the photo of the inventory item and, 4) comments and reviews by my supervisors WHILE ALL FOUR WINDOWS SCROLLING TOGETHER. I should be able to see the inventory information for a plane from description to comments.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. change default browser to google chrome

t would be greatly appreciated if you could change the browser from Internet Explorer to other engine/free to choose (Chrome, Firefox) that Excel's web query uses to access links in an excel table/workbook. I use a search engine that does not support Internet Explorer and I am not able to access the site. PLEASE MAKE IT AVAILABLE FOR ALL ENGINES/ it is not user friendly. It appears that there is no way around to fix this problem. Please need help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. make add ins available in the online version of Excel

Students need access to the addins for school when using the online version of excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. CIDR Sorting

To have the ability to sort a column by CIDR (Classless Inter-Domain Routing), so it is easier to sort a column containing IP addresses or IP addresse masks.

Database like PostgreSQL provide such feature and it is missing in Excel without having to code

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. HTML Format a cell through Format Cell or Worksheet Function

HTML Format a cell through Format Cell or Worksheet Function

For example:
    Right click on cell -> Format Cell -> Special -> HTML
    Allows the use for simple tags to be translated into formatting.
    <b>Bold</b>
    <i>Italics</i>
    <u>Underline</u>
    <sup>Superscript</sup>
    <sub>Subscript</sub>
    <del>Strike through</del>
    <font size=8>Font 8 sized text lives here</font>
    <font color=#00FF00>Green text lives here</font>

Or through a worksheet function like
    HTML("Hello,<i>Bob</i> What are you doing?")

Or add the functionality to an existing function like:
    Format("Hello,<i>Bob</i> What are you doing?","HTML")

I just find it odd, you can manually do these things, but can't through settings or formula.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make structured references to a formatted table in a closed original file functioning.

Let us say, there are an original excel file and a destination excel file. I wish to use the vlookup function in the destination file to collect certain data from the original file. I would like the function working even when the original file is closed. Currently, the vloopup function works with closed original files only if references like $A$1:$A$11 are used. It would be indeed excellent when you make the stuctured references to formatted tables like DeptSales[Sales Amount] working when the original file is closed.
    Also, I tried just a simple structured reference to a formatted table in the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Clear All - Doesn't Clear All

How about making "Clear All" actually do what it says? Or change the name to "Clear Just About Everything Except Objects".

It is just so fitting that "Clear All" doesn't clear all. That's very Microsoft of you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Drop Down Icon always on and Inside Cell

Please allow for the drop down list icon to always be visible and inside the cell, instead of hidden unless you click on the cell, and when it appears, it appears on top of the next's cell value. Google Sheets does a much better job in this case! I believe the web is filled with people trying to bypass this issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Select Objects - Objects on Chart Sheet

Currently I can use the 'Select Objects' tool to select multiple Shape objects in a worksheet. However, if I try to use the same tool to select multiple Shape objects in a Chartsheet it just doesn't work

As soon as I depress the mouse button to start selecting objects prior to dragging a selection area over the objects of interest it just selects the chart object precluding me from being able to drag a selection area over the Shape objects that I wish to select sitting on top of the chart object

Furthermore; shapes objects I draw in a worksheet…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. temporary save files

Sometimes I am working on a workbook, but I dont want to permanently save the book, but I also dont want to loose everything if there is a crash. Aside from autorecovery, how about a feature to save a temporary file, like putting it in a temporary area to be deleted within a week (or set time) if not accessed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. MoveAfterReturn

ActiveCell changes in a protected worksheet on pressing Enter when MoveAfterReturn = False. This is just plain WRONG!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 307 308
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base