Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add option to re-open all previously open Excel files the next time Excel is started.

Excel could really use an option (probably under "Start up Options") to automatically re-open all previously-open Excel files the next time Excel is started back up after all active Excel files are closed (whether that happens via the "Close all windows" option or system reboot, shutdown, or crash). This would be the Excel equivalent of the option of most web browsers to save all open tabs when the browser is closed and re-open them the next time it is launched. As a user who typically keeps multiple Excel files open at once, it's a huge pain in the neck to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Date Picker and Time Picker

Huge time-saver and user-friendly. Why did you drop it?!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable "F9" evaluation inside LET() within formula bar

LET() is an amazing function! However the current method of evaluating subsets of a formula by highlighting it and pressing F9 doesn't function inside LET functions as the "LET named" ranges resolve to #NAME?.

Please fix the F9 evaluation to resolve formula subsets within LET functions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix text position when entering long comments (bug)

As a user I would like to be able to see the text I type when entering a long comment so I can type correctly.

Currently, if you edit the end of a long (e.g., 10 line) comment, as soon as you type any text the comment text window scrolls to the top of the comment and you can no longer see the text you are typing. The comment text window should not reposition when the user starts typing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Agile Gantt Chart Color Coding

You should have the option to change the color schema, or alter the pre-defined fields, to allow color coding to be in the chart with customized data. If I change the dropdown selections for that field, I lose the color coding.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Save and share sheet view filters

Allow the option to share or publish saved Sheet View filters. Publish option should be available when prompted to Keep the filter and on the Sheet View options pop-up window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please make the default for columns number or text

Please make it so CSVs upon opening do not immediately reformat to dates. "5-20" immediately converts to dates no matter what I do to the CSV before opening. Very frustrating

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show selection when windows doesn't have focus

I wish Excel would show the cells I have selected when the window doesn't have focus. Currently, the "highlighting" that shows which cells are selected goes away when the window loses focus. I often have one or more spreadsheets open at a time (or multiple windows of the same spreadsheet), and I crosscheck data between the info in each Excel window. The absence of persistent highlighting of when focus changes drastically reduces productivity and makes the who process more difficult than it needs to be. Since some Windows apps don't do that, I suspect there is a reason why MS…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Put RSI (daily and weekly data points) in the Stock Data

The main reason I license Office 365 is to utilize the Data download for ticker symbols in Excel. There is some pretty useful data in available but adding RSI would be very useful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. "UNLESS" function (analogous to IFERROR) to cleanly handle exception cases to an expression

Create a formula to handle exception cases of an expression without needing to use IF functions and restate the expression multiple times. The proposed formula would be easier to check/understand, lighter weight (especially with complex nested formulas), and less error-prone.

Suggested syntax--
    UNLESS(expression, value1, result1, [value2, result2], ...)

(The function would be similar to a SWITCH, except that if no match is found, it would evaluate to the original expression instead of an error.)

In the way that--
    =IF( ISERROR( SomeComplexExpression ), AlternateResult, TheSameComplexExpression )

Can be written more cleanly as--
    =IFERROR( SomeComplexFunction, AlternateResult)

By analogy the functions--
    =IF( SomeComplexExpression…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Keep cell, row or column highlight active when not focused on current program

People often select cells, row or column to keep the focus on information. Focus is lost when another program is accessed but the user still wants to refer to excel information highlighted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Separate file tabs and session management

I often work with multiple files for one project to be stored in different folders and published separately so they can't be in the same workbook. Would be convenient to open all files in a saved session and to see them all in the same tabbed window, like a web browser.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Multi dimentional cells

Some people use Excel as a quick and easy database or documentation.
    Would be nice to have, at minimum, a history of change of each cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow compositing workbook from external sheets

As a workbook owner I would like to be able to reference entire sheets from another workbooks (for viewing only) within my workbook. Ideally these would be normally displayed in tabs, next to the local sheets, perhaps with ability to amend workbook location/sheet name if that changes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Power Query Number Filter Option to have Maximum or Minimum Value to Select

Currently in Power Query if you wish to filter the max or min value for a number the same option is not available in Power Query Number Filter option.

Currently you can achieve the same by changing the M Code which mostly know to advance user.

If this feature is added to the Power Query Number Filter max and min value would be handy for all the user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. You need to make it so you can lock the individual headers & footers.

You need to enable the locking of the individual headers & footers of a spreadsheet. Currently, if I want to have a spreadsheet that has editable cells, the user can change any of the header information that they want. I need to be able to lock the center header, but allow the user to change the left header & not be able to add any others. The only way to currently prevent others from changing the headers or footers is to lock the entire sheet, which renders the sheet useless.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. enable text() to use the formatting of another cell

Currently I can do this =Text(40756,"dd/mm/yy") or =Text(40756,$A$1) where $A$1 has a value of "dd/mm/yy"

But if the $A$1 were simply a formatted cell set to 20/01/2021, then I would like =Text(40756,$A$1) to return "01/08/2011"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Change Data Validation Lists to allow use of ";" as alternative to "," to allow embedded formulae

This would enable me to specify more complex formula in my Data Validation Lists - such as:
    1;2;3,=A1;=NAMEDRANGE;=vlookup($B$10,$B:$E,3,false);a;b;c

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Conditional Formatting chaos in the rules manager when copy & pasting cells - WORKAROUND

The problem of the CF Rules Manager getting convoluted and very difficult to manage (as a result of copy and paste of cells) is well known and documented elsewhere. I have seen spreadsheets where a single Conditional Formatting rule has been duplicated for individual cells 100's of times. I have a partial workaround to prevent the Rules Table turning into a mess which is described in the attached file.

This is a blunt-force solution
    Essentially apply your CF to large range - possibly $A:$XFD - which is every cell in your worksheet, then use formulae to identify which cells to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Conditional Formatting chaos in the rules manager when copy & pasting cells - WORKAROUND

The problem of the CF Rules Manager getting convoluted and very difficult to manage (as a result of copy and paste of cells) is well known and documented elsewhere. I have seen spreadsheets where a single Conditional Formatting rule has been duplicated for individual cells 100's of times. I have a partial workaround to prevent the Rules Table turning into a mess which is described in the attached file.

This is a blunt-force solution
    Essentially apply your CF to large range - possibly $A:$XFD - which is every cell in your worksheet, then use formulae to identify which cells to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 413 414
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base