Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pick color in Excel Like at Powerpoint

In Powerpoint there is a color picker tool to bring custom colors to the pallete.

Many times we need to do it using PowerPoint to get the RGB combination to be used in Excel.

Could you replicate this color picker into Excel in the same way it exists in PowerPoint?

Portuguese:

Conta-gotas PowerPoint

No Powerpoint existe uma ferramenta para pegar as cores e retornar para a paleta, o conta-gotas.

Vocês podem fazer o mesmo no Excel?

Porque muitas vezes nós precisamos fazer isso usando o PowerPoint para pegar o RGB e colocar no Excel.

1,141 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

108 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Display pivot table headers in the columns headers

With the tables, if the header is not visible, Excel displays the headers of the table in the columns headers (see the picture attached)

It will be great to have the same behaviour with the pivot tables

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bring Power Pivot closer to Power BI Desktop Functionality

Development for Power Pivot for Excel seems to have stopped around 2016. TREATAS got added as a DAX function that works, but it never got added to Intellisense, and that was nearly 3 years ago.

Today, the two measure editors (still no idea why there are different ones) are a very VERY poor substitute for the fantastic DAX editor in Power BI Desktop. It is a real pain to properly tab and indent in the Excel Measure editor(s).

In the last year there have been about a dozen new DAX functions and several updated functions per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/new-dax-functions but NONE of…

119 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Power BI Dataflows as a data source in "Get & Transform Data"

Please add Power BI Dataflows as a data source so that I can import data from a Dataflow into the local spreadsheet/data model.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-create-use

349 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for showing a lot of passion about Dataflows data connector in Excel! We’re evaluating our future investments and your votes help us to prioritize. Please keep voting if you like this idea.

Guy Hunkin
    Principal Program Manager
    Excel Team

5. Expand Pivot Tables without overwriting existing data beneath or to the right of table

With all the queries on the internet, we assume there is no built-in option to prevent pivot tables from overwriting data beneath the table during refresh and expansion. Is that correct?

Given that Excel has options for 'inserting' rows, why in the world would Microsoft NOT provide a pivot table expansion/contraction option for inserting or deleting rows from within the refreshed table without overwriting data beneath or to the right of the table?

It is also interesting that inserting rows into a regular Excel table, using the TAB key in the last row, can add rows by expanding the table…

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Center Across Selection to the Merge & Center Drop-down

Do you hate Merged Cells? Do you believe Merged Cells are evil? Do you curse every time your selection rectangle goes from one column to five columns just because you touched a merged cell? Do you constantly get workbooks from co-workers who continue to merge cells? Tired of not being able to Sort or Paste because someone merged a cell?

Excel encourages people to use Merge & Center by offering it front-and-center on the Home tab. Thus, few people discover the (superior) Center Across Selection option on the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialog.

Currently, the Merge & Center…

890 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

107 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add a lock symbol on the protected sheet tab

A small lock symbol on the protected sheet tab would be a little addition but visually important!

102 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

204 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi – due to concerns expressed by people who did not like the way the lock symbol was added to protected sheets, we will stop showing it on sheet tabs in Excel for Windows for the time-being. We may bring it back in the future in some other fashion.

If you’d like to see a lock symbol or some other visual indicator when a sheet is protected, please add your vote and comment here.

Here’s the related discussion – https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921/suggestions/40858108

Many Thanks – Steve [Microsoft Excel]

8. Add support for custom data connectors (Power Query M extensions)

Custom Data Connectors mechanism is being developed by Power BI Desktop team:

Excel's Get & Transform engine (Power Query) should have support for .mez/.pqx extensions too.

118 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Pivot Table Overlapping Error

Please develop the dialogue / call out from simply stating 'A pivot table cannot overlap another pivot table' so that you are actually provided with a sheet and / or cell reference where an overlap is trying to occur.

If you have a large workbook / multiple sheets with many pivot tables it can be difficult to find the source of an overlap.

54 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add short month name and short day name in Power Query

In Power Query, you can convert a date in year, month, day, first day of the month, day of the week, .... You can also convert a date in month name or in day name.

But there is no option to convert a date with the short name (Jan, Feb, Mar, ...) and the same for the day (Mon, Tue, Wed, ...)

Is it possible to add these options on the ribbon?

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for showing a lot of passion for adding short month name and short day name to the Power Query in Excel! We’re evaluating our future investments and your votes help us to prioritize. Please keep voting if you like this idea.

Inbar Privman,
    Program Manager, Excel Team

11. Improve Queries and Connections Task Pane

Having used the newfangled Queries and Connections pane for some time now I find it is time to add some suggestions

My issues:

1. The pane does not remember its size
      It opens really narrow on my system, displaying only a (very) small part of the connection and query names so my first action every friggin time is to drag it wider.

2. No multi select
      in the old connections window you can control or shift-click multiple connections to delete them. For maintenance this is a very useful feature I miss regularly.

3. It isn't application-centric
      If I open a new workbook with…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for showing passion for Power Query and various improvements! We are indeed looking to implement some of these suggestions.

In general, we’re evaluating our future investments and your votes help us to prioritize. Please keep voting if you like these ideas.

Thanks!
    Jonathan Kahati
    [PM @ Excel]

12. Add UnDo to PowerQuery

PowerQuery is one of the best improvements added to current EXCEL! When importing data from almost all relevant sources, I can undo each single step of data-Import or transformation, even in non-temporal order.
    BUT: if i drop a hole query, delete a table or something that is not in the steps list, or if i delete a step: this cannot be undone.
    Please allow UNDO for
    deleting queries
    deleting steps
    changing steps
    (not adding wrong steps, this can be undone with deleting the step)

This would be a very great improvement! Today i deleted a query with many, many steps…

61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for showing a lot of passion for adding undo button to the Power Query editor in Excel! We’re evaluating our future investments and your votes help us to prioritize. Please keep voting if you like this idea.

Inbar Privman,
    Program Manager, Excel Team

13. Invert Filter Selection

I'd like to see an option to invert filter selections. For example: If i apply a filter in a table i can select some boxes with a tickmark, but if i want to invert my selection i need to unmark selected itens before and mark the others.

In resume, i'd like to invert itens selected in a filter for the others unmarked.

285 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Get Tables working on protected sheets (add rows, sort, filter, etc.)

I would like to be able to, under the right circumstances, have the ability to add/remove rows of a table which resides on a protected sheet.

Currently if you protect a sheet you can't insert/delete rows of a table. Even if you unprotect all cells and allow inserting/deleting of rows on sheet protection, it doesn't matter and is completely ignored.

What I am proposing would have to follow specific rules:

• Table cells would have to be unprotected

• Cells below table would have to be unprotected (truly optional † )

• Insert Rows would have to be specified in sheet protection

†…

1,530 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

222 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for logging this great suggestion, Zack, and to others for voting it up. We’ll prioritize this according to the number of votes, so if there’s more interest, please make sure to register your vote!

Thanks

Ashvini Sharma
    Lead Program Manager
    Excel

15. "Power BI Service" as a data source in "Get & Transform"

It would be awesome if "Power BI Service" is added as a data source under "Get Data" in "Get & Transform Data" in Excel. Though the source availability is already there with "Power BI Publisher Add-in" but it is buggy and hard to deploy on large number of laptops/desktops. Also, it is practically very difficult to educate down the line users about re-enabling this add-in via COM Add-ins in case it disappears from the ribbon which is very frequent in case of this add-in. We have been struggling with this for a long period of time now.

Considering "Power BI…

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for logging this issue. I agree this would be quite useful, especially as Power BI is emerging as a hub for business data.

This request is slightly different than what PBI Desktop does. PBI Desktop essentially provides a Live Connect essentially deferring the model to the service and limiting the experience to visualizations so it’s not importing data into the report. So there’re two possible outcomes you could be looking for:
    1. Allow users to import data into Excel as query tables, just like one can from an external store like SQL Server or Oracle. This provides fine grained data retrieval.
    2. Create a new PivotTable that summarizes data on PBI service.

The PBI Publisher addin performs #2. Is that what you’re looking for? Or would you rather have #1 if you had to choose?

Others coming new to this suggestion, please be sure to add your…

16. Make slicers visible "On Demand".

Allow the user to configure if the slicer is always in view or pops up on-demand. Activation/visibility could be triggered by selecting a visible report filter field or pivot table column header. Alternately, a report filter field could be configured to pop-up a slicer instead of, or in addition to the normal selection box. Another alternate would be to have report filter field style boxes independent of the pivot table range which would pop-up the slicer when selected. Lastly, a slicer selection panel could be added with a list of parameters to choose which would cause the slicer to pop-up

54 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hmm.. interesting thought, and I can see how useful this could be!

Hmm.. interesting thought, and I can see how useful this could be!Others that haven’t yet registered their vote for the item, please do so to help us understand the relative value of this item vs. the others on our backlog.

Hmm.. interesting thought, and I can see how useful this could be!Others that haven’t yet registered their vote for the item, please do so to help us understand the relative value of this item vs. the others on our backlog.Thanks for the suggestion & the votes!

Hmm.. interesting thought, and I can see how useful this could be!Others that haven’t yet registered their vote for the item, please do so to help us understand the relative value of this item vs. the others on our backlog.Thanks for the suggestion & the votes!Ashvini Sharma
    Lead Program Manager
    Excel

17. Make quick measures like in Power BI available in Excel as well

In Power BI we can easily create quick measures: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/quick-measures-preview/
    This makes it so much easier for newbies or occasional users to adopt the new technologies, so please add in Excel as well.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Imke & others,

Thanks for logging this suggestion and voting on it. Yes indeed this would be very useful to make it easier and quicker.

For those that’d like to get this done, please be sure to register your vote to help us prioritize against out backlog.

thanks

Ashvini Sharma
    Lead Program Manager
    Excel

18. Python as an Excel scripting language

Let us do scripting with Python! Yay! Not only as an alternative to VBA, but also as an alternative to field functions (=SUM(A1:A2))

6,751 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

499 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Wow.

Thank you to all those participated in our survey. What an amazing number of responses, many of them with very deep content. We’re processing the over ten thousand responses(!), and already appreciate the time so many of you took to answer with passion and experience.

Please know this survey is used to help influence various topics – both on Python as well as other related topics that the comments started to bleed into. Given the passion, I want to be clear this remains an area of exploration for us, without any specific timeline.

We’ll provide updates as we progress on this feature request.

Thanks!

Ashvini Sharma
    Lead Program Manager
    Excel

19. Add Fiscal Month and Fiscal Year to the Query Editor "Add Column " Date Button

The Query Editor allows you to easily create Year, Month, Month Name etc, but many people need Fiscal Month Number and Fiscal year

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. provide an option to set Excel's default paste behavior

When you do an ordinary paste like Ctrl+V, Excel pastes the cell values, formatting, validation, everything. However, many users usually paste only values when working, and the extra handling to paste special is not productive.

Word and OneNote have a setting that allow the user to choose the default paste type, and that should also be available in Excel.

I know there are add-ins to workaround that and also the shortcut AppKey+V to paste values, but I think that should be a native Excel setting.

876 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

246 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great suggestion, and we want to keep the interest going. Thanks to everyone who has already voted and commented on the suggestion to have an option for the default paste behavior in Excel.

Sorry that we’ve been slow to comment and update the status on this one.

Steve K [Excel]

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base