Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keep workbooks independent - because they are from a user perspective

If you really want workbooks to all live in one process the user shouldn't know about it. They shouldn't share anything - undo buffers etc. should all be independent. Easiest would just be to bring back the option to have every workbook in a separate process - it made sense to everyone and was easy to understand the behaviour.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Inserting multiple rows or columns.

When I right-click in a cell to insert a row or a column, have a drop-down box beside both the row or column add button allowing me to select how many rows or columns I want to add.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. In the case of Excel 2019 store app version, please fix the bug that the content of CSV file is displayed as text on the browser when you cl

In the case of Excel 2019 store app version, if you click the link of the CSV file on the Internet in the browser, the contents of the CSV file will be displayed as text on the browser.
    If you reinstall the previous Excel or desktop version, the CSV file will open normally in Excel, but please fix the bug so that the store application version of Excel 2019 will also open in Excel as well.

タイトル(日本語):Excel 2019 のストアアプリ版の場合、インターネット上のCSVファイルのリンクをブラウザでクリックするとCSVファイルの内容がブラウザ上にテキストとして表示されてしまう不具合を修正して欲しい。

本文(日本語):Excel 2019 のストアアプリ版の場合、インターネット上のCSVファイルのリンクをブラウザでクリックするとCSVファイルの内容がブラウザ上にテキストとして表示されてしまいます。
    以前のExcel、もしくは、デスクトップ版を再インストールすればCSVファイルが正常にExcelで開かれますが、Excel 2019 のストアアプリ版でも同様にExcelで開くよう不具合を修正して欲しい。

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Formula Tab Indentation

Can you please allow tab indentation of formulas?

It would be even nicer if Excel did it automatically.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When using Copy/Transpose, the cell formats are not transposed correctly

Less of an idea, more of a fix. Let's say I have 5 cells with data in them vertically. Formatted will all borders then a thick outside border. When I copy this and paste as transpose, the borders transposed are like you copied one cell and pasted it to the new location and the same will all the other cells. So you end up with the formatting of each cell identical to the formatting of the original cells, which is wrong.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. fill without changing border

Why is this not already fixed??? We should be able to change fill and borders like we do in Word. I want to change a select set of cells where the bg is different BUT NOT CHANGE THE BORDERS... and no, I don't want to run VBA. Lazy coding team get to work on this now.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. REALLY LOVE HOW FUCKING_LESS_FUCKING USEFUL CUT AND PASTE FUNCTIONS ARE. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

REALLY LOVE HOW FUCKINGLESSFUCKING USEFUL CUT AND PASTE FUNCTIONS ARE. FUCKYOUMICROSOFT.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Moving average function for dynamic arrays

With increasing use of dynamic arrays for time series data such as stock prices we need a way of doing moving averages with dynamic arrays.
    I suggest something like

MOVAVG (RangeArray, N, MAMethod [, Down] [,StartExp])

where N is the number of periods in the moving average and MA-Method controls the MA calculation method method (Simple, Central, Cumulative, Weighted, Exponential, Double Exponential etc)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. DIFF function for Dynamic Arrays

In addition to an ACCUMULATE function to enable cumulative sums and corkscrew calculations we also nee a DIFF function to calculate differences between values in a dynamic array.
    Something like
    DIFF (Range_Array [,StartValue] [,Lag] [,Order] [,Align] [,Down] )

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. An MROUNDUP and MROUNDDOWN feature

MROUND rounds to the nearest specified multiple.
    ROUNDUP and ROUNDDOWN allows to choose whether you round to the nearest decimal place or to the higher or lower number.
    It would be great to combine these with an MROUNDUP or MROUNDDOWN feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please just make Inquire available for all excel desktop users!

Please just make Inquire available for all excel desktop users!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow access to the "Spreadsheet Inquire" add-in for Excel without having to upgrade an entire suite of applications to a business license.

I have Microsoft 365 Family and I need the "Spreadsheet Inquire" add-in for Excel to troubleshoot a couple of very complex worksheets. The only way to get it is for me to upgrade my entire suite of Office applications to a business license with no other option to get it. A tool to help maintain and repair an Excel sheet should be included with the product, or AT THE VERY LEAST offered for a reasonable additional price.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. LEAVE THE ******* NUMLOCK ON YOU_FUCKING_MICROSOFT_BITCHES.

LEAVE THE ******* NUMLOCK ON YOUFUCKINGMICROSOFT_BITCHES.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Organize DAX Measures in Folders

Users should be able to organize measures in folders and subfolders when configuring a Power Pivot using Excel's data model. This would be similar to the functionality available in SSAS Tabular.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. co-authoring track changes history

I love that using co-authoring you can manage how you share the excel file with your team wherein you can set a user as view only and the others will have the capability to edit. I however extremely need this TRACK CHANGES features 1.) alert notification real-time whenever there is change. This should have an on/off settings so you can turn this on if you want to monitor the progress real-time, 2.) you can check changes history who edit what and you can set the date so that you can select from the start and end date of the project.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. I really, really wish Microsoft would not change the data I enter in a cell. Assuming a Format is OK, changing the data is NOT ok.

I really, really wish Microsoft would not change the data I enter in a cell. Assuming a Format is OK, changing the data is NOT ok.

Posters have (weakly) tried to address this with "precision" and such, or "learn Excel" and similar, but they are missing the point. If a user enters "1/09" that should be assumed to be exactly what they wanted, not a date and a change of the data in the cell to 43839. Assuming a format is wonderful and helpful. Changing the data is very counterproductive. "Learn Excel" might be a modestly useful retort, but I…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make power query in excel = power BI

Hello,
    Many of power query functions which has been in power BI for years still doesn't exist in excel version!

For example Html.Table,Web.BrowserContents and so on.

As far as i understand both excel and PB using the same engine under the hood.

Please make excel power query equal to power BI one. Thanks!

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add Translate Function

Add Translate Function as like as google sheet googletranslate function. it is very applicable if you add it in Mirosoft Excel. Thank you.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bring Sheet View to the desktop app for files saved online

Most people in my org who filter an Excel spreadsheet saved to SharePoint or OneDrive don't use Excel Online as it is not as feature rich as the desktop app. Sheet View avoids the problem Auto Save presents when filtering for other users collaborating at the time or opening it fresh with those filters auto saved. However, Sheet View is only available on the Online version of Excel currently https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel-blog/sheet-view-is-generally-available/ba-p/1032576.
    Can you please also bring this feature to the desktop app?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow conditional formatting for spilled array formulas

I use an array formula (e.g. RANDARRAY) to insert some numbers. The size of this array may vary, as the array formula is based on cells with values, which may vary.
    In the spilled array I want to highlight some values using conditional formatting. It would be useful, if the conditional formatting could be based on the size of the array, so that the area the conditional formatting applies to shrinks and grows with the size of the array.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base