Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add "recession shading" or dates highlighting to charts (aka Banded regions)

It's cumbersome to add "recession shading" or period highlighting to a chart (see Peltier's method: http://peltiertech.com/highlight-certain-time-periods-in-a-chart/), but it is very common feature in time series economic analysis, and most people just don't bother, draw a transparent rectangle over the chart and align it manually.

Please add a range highlighting option for charts with a date x-axis.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback. Supporting this feature is something we are actively discussing. Please continue to vote on this feature suggestion which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

2. Prominent Manual Calculation Mode warning

Given the great danger of not realising that calculation mode is set to Manual, it would be very beneficial if a "Manual Calculation Mode" indicator (in bright fire-engine red!) was displayed (and visibility maintained until calc mode is switched back to non-manual) in a prominent location - such as in the Title Bar to the left of the Minimize button.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. In EXCEL Formula Bar: Allow display of formulas/equations in standard math format (visual friendly) [aka equation plotting]

Allow toggle between math Formula display (easy to read math...think TI89, mathCAD, WolframAlpha, etc) and the single line that goes on forever. Even better, as you are typing in the formula bar, allow for the visual display of what the formula/equation would look like if you wrote it out by hand, or used a program like the above.

Verifying formulas in Excel is extremely challenging due to having to follow references, AND keeping track of multiple parenthesis, division and other mathematical operators. This would be a tremendous time saver for verifying formulas/equations are correct.

EXAMPLE: To see what I mean,…

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

4. Setting x and y axis to same display scale

For engineers it's often useful to plot geometry in a 1:1 scale in excel for automation purposes. At the moment you can set the axis intervals to the same scale but the actual way the graphs plots and/or resizes on the screen is not 1:1 it is instead squashed. I would be useful to have a button as part of the axis options which allows the user to set the display scale to always be equal to ensure this 1:1 accuracy.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

5. A simple function to replace the IF(A1="","",EnterFormulaHere)

Everyone down to amateur excel users knows the quick fix for displaying no value in a cell if it's precedent is blank is the =IF(A1="","",EnterFormulaHere). Usually used when the end user hasn't yet entered information into input cells and Errors in cells are undesired.

This gets more complex when there are many precedent cells and requires this =IF(OR(A1="",B2="",C3=""),"",EnterFormulaHere) etc.

We need a function for this such as:
    =IFBLANK(IfNotBlank,[CellsToCheck],[All/Any])

So, =IFBLANK(A1*B2*C3) would only return the result of the formula if none of cells A1, B2 and C3 were blank.

Or, =IFBLANK(A1*B2*C3,(A1,B2,D7)) allows the user to select the specific cells to be…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting suggestion Jon, thanks for posting it. There’s some other suggestions around blank/null, so we’ll be taking a look at the space in general, and making particularly sure that we consider related functions that get a lot of votes. As always, the more votes something gets the more chance that a specific request gets in the execution pipe sooner. So I just want to encourage folks to keep voting for the ideas they like best!

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

6. Excel Treeview - VBA Control

The new TreeView in Excel 2016 is great, however, code-base manipulation via VBA seems to be absent. Specifically looking to change the colors for each of the squares, or at least control how the chart defines its color base.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. stacked and clustered columns graph

Pretty often I need to create sales graph. My data are revenue type, outlet and date. I wish I could have a stacked and clustered columns graph. That way, I could compare per month the revenue per outlet and the split par revenue type

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is an interesting chart type. We will consider it during our planning for the next round of new chart types. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Spreadsheet documentation

A key feature of good spreadsheet design practice is the proper documentation of the spreadsheet but almost no help is given in Excel for this. Let's have some tools to help.
    Three initial suggestions:
    1/ a free-form notes page (a bit like the bottom part of a Powerpoint slide) where documentation notes can be added as the spreadsheet is created, possibly with automatic reminders when named ranges, new styles, user defined functions etc are created
    2/ A record being made when a new workbook is linked in to take data from this workbook
    3/ automated listing of ranges, names etc…

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Malcom. We’ll keep an eye on this – we’ll be more deeply investigating things with more votes, so people should up vote this if they like it. I’d also encourage people to chime in on the comments for this one with any specific asks for particular cases/operations they care about more than others.

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

9. Allow Chart Styling with CSS

This would allow for an explosion of even higher quality designed Charts with motion animation (Keyframes etc) created from within Excel.

It would also create higher value usage for Excel Online if the charts were style able in web native language, and shared on the web, in Sways on Docs.com etc.

Essentially upon up the "DOM" of Excel charts to treat a true canvas of data visualization.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea. We’ll consider this in the planning phase for the next release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

10. venn diagram creation and manipulation

Excel should be able to have a pivot table like feature for venn diagrams, up to some maximum number of sets. The data would have to be structured correctly but it would be great to easily and quickly be able to create a 4 or 5 way venn diagram with excel handling the math for all of the set overlap

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is an interesting idea. We’ll consider it in our next round of planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

11. Data Labels disappearing from charts

This is a real problem !! When you refresh a picot chart the Data Labels either totally go away or some of them do... It's inconsistent .

This same problem was inherited by the Web version btw.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Axis titles by default

I feel like axis titles and possibly the chart title should be turned on by default. My reasons are as follows:
    1. It is easier to get rid of titles that you do not want than to add titles that you do want.
    2. Any graph that is not quick and dirty requires titles to know what is being plotted.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add scientific constants

Currently excel has Euler's number and pi, but it'd be great if it had functions with precise values for other commonly used constants like speed of light, electron charge, Plancks constant, Boltzmann constant, Avogadro's number etc.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Rolands! I’d be curious to see, in comments, what other constants people are interested in. I’ll check back on this later, and of course the more votes it has the more likely it is to get into the product – so please keep the votes coming if you like the idea!

Best,
    John [MS XL]

14. Direct Plotting of equations on charts and Pivot Charts

It would be useful to be able to plot an equation on a Pivot Chart (or regular chart) without generating the data that drives it.

The use-case that makes me think of this is as follows:
    - I have some data representing measurements.
    - There is an expected or theoretical curve shape that the measurements should roughly follow.
    - I want to plot the data (scatter points) and the theoretical curve (or curves).

What I do:
    - This works reasonably well if I have lots of data points as for each x I can calculate the theoretical y and then…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for posting this. We’ll definitely consider it in the planning for our next round of features. Please continue voting on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

15. Data labels for first and last data points on charts, with option for mid or interval points.

Give an easy option to label the first and last data points on a chart, with options for middle point or every 2nd, 3rd and so on.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback. We are looking into the details of this. Please continue to vote on feature ideas which will increase their likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

16. Integrate the d3.js visualisation library into excel.

I know there is an add in E2D3 (thanks for putting it together) but its not comprehensive enough or reliable enough. The ability to do comprehensive manipulation of data and the display complex information graphically is what separates Excel from other programs. If this was integrated it would crush the competition and make my life so much easier. Amongst the things I do are patient flow analytics for hospitals. Currently I use a stand alone Sankey generator which is a perfect visualisation but it is external and clunky to use (due to my lack of skills). If it was integrated…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the meantime, you can also use Office Addins found on the Excel 2013 insert tab. You can create your own Office Addins or use those from the store – many of which are visualizations. The Office Add-ins essentially allow you to use javascript and javascript libraries such as d3.js to create what ever you need.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

17. Apply common time series transformations to a charted series'

Excel allows us to apply some simple transformations to a series, like change the display units or apply a logarithmic scale. These should be offered whenever a series' x values are all dates.

Many time series transformations are super common in economic analysis, and they'd be huge time savers. I give you a few:

+ Natural logarithm scale (with better control over the axis than what Excel currently offers for the base 2 and 10 scales)
    + Lag a series n periods
    + Change
    + Change from year/quarter/month/week/day ago
    + Percent Change
    + Percent Change from year/quarter/month/week/day ago
    + Index…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is great feedback. Please continue to vote on feature ideas which will increase their likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

18. Bullet charts

Pls add support for bullet charts

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the further details on Bullet charts. The Wikipedia article is a good reference. As we plan the next release, we’ll definitely consider this new chart type.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

19. Countif(search("string",array)=true)

Allow countif (and countifs) to count cells where I am searching an array for a string value. For example, if I have a table with dates in one column and names in another column, but I may have multiple names in a single cell, I want to be able to count the number of cells that have John listed even if that cell also has Jane as a value.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Lockable aspect ratio in charts.

It would be handy to be able to lock the aspect ratio of a chart. I specifically use scatterplots to display a visualization of land surveying points as a check that data entry was correct. Because UTM coordinates are so large and the extent of the survey points changes with every entry the chart continually resizes.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

When you say the “chart continuously resizes” are you referring to the chart’s value axis scale? The physical boundary of the chart should not resize when the data is added. When a chart is inserted, the default size is 3″×5″ which doesn’t automatically change but the user can manually change it through the Format ribbon or resizing the chart via its drag handles.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base