Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Money in Excel: Sort categories

For Money in Excel template: I'd like to have the categories sorted in alphabetical order. I don't care whether they are original categories or my custom categories - I want to see them all together sorted alphabetically

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "TIME TRAVEL" FEATURE.

Excel To include with time travel feature.This will facilitate to access back the file even if saved for erroneous data which will enable to access file for previous times status like 5min, 10min, 15min etc. back or before. In this way even file saved with heavy mistakes can be retrieved back to previous status and can be utilised for further work without redoing as whole.It is like restore to some known good configuration as in windows registry.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SORT function with sort_order argument 0 as random

Hi. You could create a new option 0 as the sort_order argument of the SORT function. Today we have 1 for Ascending, -1 for Descending and then we would have 0 representing shuffle, random order.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Numerical Values in the Header Row of Tables

Allow numbers in the header row of tables.

Right now, header rows appear to be forced to be text types.

Allowing headers to be values would allow the use of the XLOOKUP function on the header row using the "exact or next less" and "exact or greater" flags. This would greatly simplify step-wise lookups and interpolations where the data was arranged in a horizontal fashion.

Right now, data tables need to be arranged vertically in order to use these flags on the "header" information if the header information is a number.

It can be done, but in circumstances where data…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. STOCKHISTORY Function properties fields to accept the string values

The new STOCKHISTORY function is great and accepts only the numeric values in the property why not to add the support of accepting the string values and make it more flexible for the users. attached is the sample.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Implement Quasi MDI Windows using Windows 10 Sets Feature

In Windows 10 there seems to be a feature, still under development called Windows Sets. https://www.howtogeek.com/352109/how-to-use-sets-in-windows-10-to-organize-apps-into-tabs/
    While MS pulled this feature from the latest public builds of Windows 10, it looks like it’s not dead, but sleeping, due to make a comeback once issues have been ironed out. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081852/windows-10-sets-coming-back-rumour

If this is the case then it would be the perfect way to bring make MDI like functionality to Excel for those users who miss it. Certainly from a Excel custom Application perspective MDI windows worked very well.

It would be great to have a setting in a future version of…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Active cell border

Please put a red border around active cell so it may help people with eye problems see better.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. DIFF function for Dynamic Arrays

In addition to an ACCUMULATE function to enable cumulative sums and corkscrew calculations we also nee a DIFF function to calculate differences between values in a dynamic array.
    Something like
    DIFF (Range_Array [,StartValue] [,Lag] [,Order] [,Align] [,Down] )

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make power query in excel = power BI

Hello,
    Many of power query functions which has been in power BI for years still doesn't exist in excel version!

For example Html.Table,Web.BrowserContents and so on.

As far as i understand both excel and PB using the same engine under the hood.

Please make excel power query equal to power BI one. Thanks!

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Money in Excel Template

The formula that identifies recurring expenses is limited in that it doesn't find all recurring expenses

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I would like to see the return of the use of they keys page up and page down in the print preview screen. It was so much easier to use

I would like to see the return of the use of they keys page up and page down in the print preview screen. It was so much easier to use

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please extend FIND and SEARCH Function to search from right to left. Also if possible add a unction to reverse string.

Please extend FIND and SEARCH Function to search from right to left. Also if possible add a function to reverse string.

Thee 2 important and basic functions are missing

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please provide the feature of tracking the changes made by co-authors in word, excel and powepoint

Please provide the feature of tracking the changes made by co-authors in word, excel and powepoint

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. God_Damn you and your_fucking_dopey_buggy software. FUCK_You MICROSOFT *******.

GodDamn you and yourfuckingdopeybuggy software. FUCK_You MICROSOFT *******.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Money in Excel enhancement to show Net worth trended over time

Money in Excel enhancement to show Net worth trended over time. Example: show net worth monthly as of the first of each month:
    1 Jan = $20k | 1 Feb = $22k | 1 Mar = $19k | 1 Apr = $21k...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Show cells in relation to other data in a better way

Hi

See screenshot. I'm in a cell with the value 26 112. I want to know if this is casual wages or PAYE and it's not obvious, I have to strain my eye a bit and make sure I follow the cells correctly. Same thing if I want to see other numbers in the same column as the 26 112. If I want to see a number that's15 rows up on the same column, if there's a lot of data, it's really difficult to follow.

So, it would be great if you had a view that highlights all info in…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Excel 2019 / 365 file corrupt issue

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10-mso_o365b/power-query-solutions-for-vertical-column-data-to/978a23da-3f4c-460e-ba99-bd31141b8095?messageId=ee538783-6197-4353-bc92-e46bb824b13e

Recently I have been getting File corrupt errors when I try to open files created in 2019.

There are several files to download in the above link.

The last one, in Andreas reply 2020 07 28 4:52 AM.

He created it in 2019.
    I downloaded, tried to open in 365 ... File corrupt error
    Opened it Excel 2010 no problem ... WTF!
    SAVE As to a new file name, no other changes
    Opened the new file name in Excel 365 no problem ... ???

Excel 365 Version 2006 (Build 13001.20384 Click-to-Run)
    Excel 365 PowerQuery Run) Version 2.82.5858.241…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. For the money in excel feature, allow manual input of accounts because some of the security features don't work well with the current import

Allow manual import of accounts for money in excel because some institutions don't work well with the current import method (e.g., wealthfront with 2 factor authentication that uses an authenticator app)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Drag and drop files and emails into Excel

It would be a lot easier to embed or attach files in Excel by simply dragging files from File Explorer or emails from Outlook onto an Excel sheet.

At the moment you have to go to Insert>Object then navigate to the file location to attach files. For emails there is the added step of saving the emails into a folder first.

If it is not possible to allow Excel to accept files by drag-and-drop all the time then perhaps that can be turned on temporarily via a button in the ribbon - i.e. click a 'drag and drop' button in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base