Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel 2016 Bug with Cursor - Right to Left Languages

I have several computers. two of them is with Windows 10 and Office 2013/2016.
    I noticed a bug with the typing cursor.
    I use both English, a left-to-right language, and Hebrew, a right-to-left language, and each has a different typing cursor, a straight line ( | ) for left-to-right and a "hyphenated" line ( `| ) for right to left.
    The problem is that in Excel 2016, the moment I switch my language to Hebrew and type something, it locks the cursor in the right-to-left configuration, even when I switch back to English, which gets very confusing, since the appearance…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create forms (same as Smartsheet webforms) that are easy and don't require Macros

I am wondering if you can create a Form that doesn't need VBA to enable easy data entry into a table. The Smartsheet webforms are ideal for data entry, being simple and straightforward. I know that this is possible using macros, but the problem is that not everyone knows how to use Macros.

Forms are very suitable for the Access application. However my thought was to create an easy to use form that common Excel users can create, modify, etc. This would make Excel a much more useful databasing application.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Before Copy, Before Paste, After Copy and After Paste events

Excel needs these events - before copy, before paste, after copy and after paste events to be added to the standard worksheet events. It is possible to do this with custom events and using the windows API to query the clipboard, but it is unreliable. They are necessary to be able to control how users interact with a spreadsheet that is locked down

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide functions that work better with dates.

For example, have a function that actually gives the day of the week spelled out instead of a number.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow types of cells to be presented in different colors. (locked, formula, etc

Creating, editing, etc. is so much easier when categories of cells can be presented in different colors. For example, when a cell is locked it has a different color than an unlocked formula. It helps prevent accidental changes to formulas.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Split tables to separate sheets

Imagine a sheet with a column of fruit. I want to be able to select some (or all) fruit and split all the corresponding rows into new sheets. e.g., for oranges, apples, and bananas, I want three new sheets OR the subset of those three on a new sheet. You can imagine for dozens of types of fruit, it becomes very time consuming to do this manual. I would do this by adding a split option to the filter dropdown list for a given column. Either split selected fruit to a single sheet or individual sheets. I currently use JMP…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Easy Method to Export Single Worksheets (rather than copy into new notebook)

Single-click on worksheet tab to save to a new workbook file. Many sheets that need to distribute single sheets to different people, without having to copy sheet to a new book and then saving.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Correct Representation of "0"-Values

Ich habe hier ein interessantes Phänomen (Excel 2013 Windows Desktop):
    In der Spalte "Tagessaldo" befindet sich eine sorgfältig geschriebene Abfrage,
    die dazu führen soll, dass Zeitwerte <0 dargestellt werden können.
    Im vorliegenden Beispiel behauptet Excel nun, der Wert wäre kleiner als
    0, obwohl es ihn in allen von mir versuchten Darstellungen mit "0", "00:00:00"
    "0,0000000000000000E+00" ausgibt.
    Mein daraus folgender Vorschlag: Korrigieren Sie diesen FEHLER!
    Noch besser wäre natürlich eine generelle Überarbeitung der Zeitformate,
    sodass solche Hilfskonstruktionen überflüssig wären.
    ALSO:
    1) Darstellung von negativen Zeitwerten als "-hh:mm:ss" statt als Fehler
    2) Verwenden von Zeiten im der Darstellung "-hh:mm:ss" in Berechnungen.

Was…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please, improve the protection of Excel spreadsheets

I have found that OpenOffice and LibreOffice can open Excel spreadsheets with password very easily. This seems like a pretty serious problem. I hope you will correct soon. Thank you

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Show a popup/error message before allowing edit of grouped/multi-selected tabs/sheets

Popup when editing grouped tabs.

You can wreak havoc when editing / working with grouped tabs if you are not very careful. There should be an alert when you are editing more than one tab.

If you print and group the tabs to print multiple pages at the same time and then start editing without ungrouping the tabs, you're likely screwing up all your work. Likewise, if you save with tabs grouped, when you re-open the file, the tabs will still be grouped! If you begin working on your spreadsheet, you will be likely inadvertently editing multiple tabs.

The grouped…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Excel alerts in a confusing way when opening password protected files from SharePoint

When opening a password protected file in Excel Desktop for Windows, it says The file is locked for editing by another user and the prompt button is to save as with no indication that the initial text is clickable to move you to the file tab and choose Check Out from there. And if one does successfully navigate this hurdle and check out the file, the alert DOES NOT GO AWAY. It appears to my users (and to me and I do this for a living) as if the file is still read only as it says in the Title…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Data connectivity with Oracle

Currently data connectivity with oracle is nightmare. Please make it easier for novice enterprise users

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Default Height in Home tab & StandardHeight access

Go Home tab → Format. You will see Default Width but not Default Height. Similarly, if you go Developer tab → Properties, you will see StandardWidth but not StandardHeight.

For consistency, Default Height should be a choice in Home tab → Format and StandardHeight should be user-accessible.

Currently, the only way to change StandardHeight is to use VBA or resize a row with all cells selected.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Need to bring back Recent Items folder originally available under Win 7 favorites. New file access within Apps is anti productivity

May Recent Items folder available to Quick Access that shows up in open and save option in Windows Office Apps

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow us to remove all connections instead of individually

I need to be able to remove all connections not one at a time in the connections box related to 3D Maps.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjApVpgq6WQ0h5czVah8SBvTv7zklw

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. The function VBA.Format should be part of the Excel object model and not only the VBA language

The Format (or VBA.Format) function is part of the VBA language, not the Excel object model. This means that this function is not available to .NET COM addins (VSTO, AddinExpress, Excel DNA). This can be a problem for the development of new addins using .NET or upgrading existing VBA addins to COM.

Note that .NET has string.Format() and Microsoft.VisualBasic.Strings.Format() but neither of those has the same behavior as the VBA Format function especially with regards to dates.

Note that there is a similar function that is part of the Excel object model: WorksheetFunction.Text(). However, this function still differs from the…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Waterfall

is there a way to add multiple data series along the horizontal axis in a waterfall chart?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We currently don’t support multiple series in a waterfall chart. However, we’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

19. Bring back 2 formatting shortcuts that were in older versions

There are two in particular.
    1. When changing the format of the number on a chart & selecting "number" you have the option to specify the number of digits. There used to be up & down arrows to use the mouse to change the number of digits; you could keep your hand on the mouse & select the desired number of digits. Now you can only do this from the keyboard.
    2. It used to be possible to make a number of formatting changes to a curve, select a new curve, & press F4 to apply all of those formatting…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add a Blank Field to Pivot Tables

How many times have you had to copy and paste pivot tables to get them to look aesthetically pleasing because you need to enter in blank columns? By allowing for a "blank" column field to be added into pivot tables, you can take out the extra steps of making the pivots look pretty and can leave them in their native state.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base