Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Function Syntax

I am applying formulas in excel by viewing the syntax which always
    For example : Sumif(range,criteria,[sum range])

Everytime you press "," it highlighting in Bold which criteria you are mentioning.
    Now recently what I have found that if any sheet name contains any "," in it and you are applying the formula(example : sumif) from it, then it will not showing all syntax.

Not sure if this is correct forum. but just found this issue and what to share if we can remove this bug.

Regards,
    Rajender

Regards,
    Rajender

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix the "Auto-Save Has Been Suspended for this Session" bug

Seemingly randomly, Excel will decide to pop up this error message. Once it happens, I know I'm screwed because any attempt to save the workbook will fail. The only way to prevent from losing changes is to copy them to a new workbook, save that workbook and then restart excel and copy changes back into the origin workbook.

This happens with huge spreadsheets and small ones, and I've even seen it pop up when I was not interacting with Excel at all. I.e. I was in a different application at the time, so I don't have a solid repro. That…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Worksheet function like VBA.VAL()

VBA VAL("10 items") gives 10
    Excel fn =VALUE("10 items") gives #VALUE!
    Of course I can use a UDF but I'd like a native function that returned the value of the first numeric characters of a string. Even better if it can get values inside text ("Total 10 items") but I can see problems with separated digits and dots and commas so a simple behaviour like VAL() will do, thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. For technical users of Excel, we absolutely need more symbols in the charts. Double new symbols: simply flag all existing symbols.

Simply adding "flags" to all existing symbols, with optional color and fill options (for the symbol), can create double the number of symbols currently available. This is needed for highly technical charts. Also, if the symbol choices were made at the time the data were selected, much time could be saved from adjusting the chart later. "Flags" are simply a 45-degree-line tick mark on the upper right side of the symbol.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the additional details. We’ll consider this in our future planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

6. Simultaneous file saving output.

Usually I save one excel file into an htm and pdf format. and I have to repeat the process of saving. How about there could be an option where a user can save a file simultaneously to different outputs. In my case. If I could save my file as an html and pdf at the same time, that would be truly helpful in my work. Totally saves a lot of time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Structured reference for "all cells" rather than 1:1048576

Sometimes in formulas but especially in conditional formatting, we want to refer to all cells of a sheet. The current notation of 1:1048576 has a few problems.

1. It is not obvious that it means "all cells"
      Most people do not have the number of rows in a spreadsheet memorized.

2. It is not futureproof
      Should Excel ever support more rows in the future, the notation 1:1048576 will lead to ambiguity. Did the user want conditional formatting on all cells or only those rows, which just so happened to be all cells at the time?

3. It does not behave like other ranges…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show count of items represented by each checkbox in the Filter dropdown menu

When we filter we can see all the items that are present in the selected column. What would be helpful is to have next to each item the count of times it's present in that column. E.g. it column "Animal name" contains 1x"dog", 1x"cat", 5x"horse"..., if I filter, I'll be able to see the names of these animals only, what I'd like to have also is the number of times (count) they're present in the column.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Find and replace text

When i am find the text after replace, font styles are affected(changed) in the cell contents.
    Please any idea?
    Thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. DISTINCTCOUNT, DISTINCTCOUNTIFS, PERCENTILEIFS

My understanding is the Excel team is working on DISTINCTCOUNT already.

Following the blog item:
    https://blogs.office.com/2016/02/23/6-new-excel-functions-that-simplify-your-formula-editing-experience/

We need to extended the "IFS" to PERCENTILES and DISTINCTCOUNT to work on the same way that SUMIFS,COUNTIFS, MAXIFS, MINIFS, etc

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bug in Power Query for Excel 2016

Bug in Power Query for Excel 2016 (aka Get & Transform) The Data Catalog Search option on the "New Query" button is connected to the same sign in window as the My Data Catalog Queries option. It wasn't like that in Power Query for Excel 2016. Can you fix this so that the Data Catalog Search option, works like it use to? Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Like Function

Add a Like Worksheet Function that works in the same manner as the Visual Basic Like Operator : http://bit.ly/21zKJot

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow for Chart Cell to Infinity at a Specific Starting Point

So the idea would be to be able to select data to infinity (the end of the sheet) with an explicit starting point. You can do this in Google Sheets for instance by doing =AVERAGE(C6:C) , which would average all of the cells starting from C6 and down to the end of the sheet (in the C column). I'm not sure about this, but I would think that you could do something along the lines of =AVERAGE(B9:9) , to average all of the cells in the B row beginning at B9. I don't believe that there's a way to do…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. VSTO Add-In QAT - Enable More Commands

Creating VSTO Add-In from scratch, QAT - "More commands" is disabled. http://prnt.sc/agb5oa
    I would be cool to that each user could add his own custom functions like Macros and etc.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/3d20f35d-6c13-4781-95e9-dee35ec5c64c/ribbon-xml-how-to-enable-qat-more-commands?forum=vsto

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Increase/decrease decimal should work regardless of the active cell

If you have a mix of text and numbers selected, then increase/decrease decimal (in the Home tab) will not work if the active cell is text, but it will work and be applied to all numbers if the active cell is a number.

This issue comes up when you have a column of all numbers except for the title at the top. Then when you select the whole column and try to increase/decrease decimal, it will fail until you activate a numerical cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Paste a list in the filter box

Hello,

It would be really interesting to be able to Paste multiple items in the filtering when the copy was done from another table.

For example, if one receives an email with a small table containing a 4 items table, to filter this information for more details one should copy-paste each element and tick on the "Add current selection to filter". It would be of great help to copy the table, paste it into the filter and get automatically the selection.

Thanks for your consideration.
    Best Wishes,
    Arthur

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Change the default method for data pasted from Access so that text isn't formatted to wrap.

Text in data pasted from Access always formats as wrapped. Make the default to be not wrapped, or provide an option to specify whether the text should be wrapped or not.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. There is a bug where charts sometimes do not update

This happens only rarely, I have noticed it a couple of times in larger spreadsheets. Something in the spreadsheet gets changed, formulae recalculate and the values in the chart range change accordingly, but the chart itself does not change.

The only thing I have found that can trigger an update consistently is this code:

Set sht = ActiveSheet
    For Each co In sht.ChartObjects

co.Activate

For Each sc In ActiveChart.SeriesCollection
    sc.Select
    temp = sc.Formula
    sc.Formula = "=SERIES(,,1,1)"
    sc.Formula = temp
    Next sc

Next co

Issue is discussed here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4902703/excel-chart-wont-update

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. To use the existence of freezing formulas for programming in the spreadsheet itself (an example house.xls is enclosed)

I have managed to construct freezing formulas, i.e.formulas that do not change their values when a formula on which it depends does. Based on this phenomenon, counters can be constructed and programs can be written in the spreadsheet exclusively. I shall try to send you an example of such a program as an enclosure.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Shortcuts for formatting

Please make the shortcuts the same within Excel!
    Consistency is key :)
    If I want to make a part of a text in a cell superscript, I use Ctrl+Shift+P and the Alt+E to make it superscript. If I want to do the same in a text box (e.g. axis title) in a chart window, I also use Ctrl+Shift+P to get to the formatting, but now I need to press Alt+P to make it superscript.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base