Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 39 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add default formatting to File-Options

Add default formatting to File-Options. I prefer my spreadsheet format to be vertically aligned to TOP, CENTERED and WRAP. I have to adjust this on every new spreadsheet. Add the initial format to File-Options where the user could set it up according to their preferences. Then, we would only have to modify exceptions.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow Relative References in Conditional Formatting Formulas

The ability to use formulas in conditional formatting is a great feature.
        Unfortunately only absolute cell references are permitted in the formulas, and not relative cell references.
        For example, I often want to apply red/yellow/green conditional formatting based on the value of an adjacent cell.
        For example the formula >=2*$A$1 can be used with green formatting to highlight cells with values that are twice the value of cell A1.
        What I want is the ability to use a reference like >=2*A$1 which will compare to the first cell of each column (A1, B1, C1, etc), rather than comparing everything to…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported.

To make a conditional format relative, define it on a single cell, using the relative formula that you’d like it to use (like the one in your idea, if you want it to adjust across columns).

This will format the cell on which the conditional format is applied.

Then, in the “Applies To” range in the Conditional Formatting Manager, change the range from that original cell, to the range on which you’d like the CF applied.

That will adjust (according to the referencing you’ve specified) the conditional formatting rule for each of the cells in that range.

Cheers,
          Dan [MS]

• desired cells are to be visible in a flooting window over excel sheet to monitor changes during modifying the data entered

while modifying / entering data, related cells values will be changed at bottom/top/righ/left of the table and desired cell values required to be monitor by scrolling top/bottom/left/righ. for easy facilitate arrange desired cells in flooting window over excel sheet to observe the changes while modifying / entering data.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This functionality is already supported in Excel through something called the “Watch Window.” To use it:

1. On the Formulas ribbon, click “Watch Window”
            2. Click the “Add Watch” button
            3. Select the cell you want to watch the value of
            (repeat 2 and 3 if you’d like)

Now, whenever cells you are watching change values, you’ll see those updated values in the Watch Window.

Cheers,
            Dan [MS]

• Please add bold formula for some word in cell

when I type a sentence in a cell, I need one or several words in the sentence to bold because the word is important. I wish there was a formula to thicken the word that until now I have not found in the set of formulas excel.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you are typing a sentence in a cell (that is, you have the actual text in the cell), you can select any word(s)/character(s) in that text and press the [B] button on the ribbon (or use Ctrl+B) to make that selection Bold (or apply other formatting).

Cheers,
              Dan [MS]

• CTRL F shortcut in excel 2016 has been removed. Please can this shortcut be brought back.

CTRL F shortcut in excel 2016 has been removed. Please can this shortcut be brought back.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Ctrl+F (Find) still exists in current buidls of Excel 2016. If you’re experiencing issues with it, please post the version of Excel (found under File > Office Account) you are using.

Thanks,
                Dan [MS]

• Smart Selecting

Excel needs to have a smart select feature. Select All (CTRL-A) should only select rows/columns that have data instead of the entire sheet (through column ZZ?)

An example of a tasks I am doing. I have say 14 columns of data with 300 rows. I want to be able to select all of those columns and rows to convert them to a table. Select-A would be ideal; however, doing so, selects the entire sheet which therefore converts the entire sheet entire a table (takes a long time to do so). This process warns the individual prior to but would be…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported if selection is in a range of data (within the larger sheet). Ctrl+A will select the continuous range of data the first time you press it, and then if you press it again, it will select the entire sheet.

Cheers,
                  Dan [MS]

• Pivot table refresh - any way to keep it from re-sizing the width of columns??

I always have to resize the columns after refreshing.
                  I have some instances where i have to refresh after changing input and i have 2 grids below the pivot and any time i refresh it messes up the column widths so i have to keep resizing. It is annoying. Add a way to lock the column width so this wont happen every time i refresh.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported. After you initially create the PivotTable, you can do the following:

1. right click on the PivotTable and choose PivotTable Options…
                    2. On the Layout & Format tab, make sure that “Autofit column widths on update” is unchecked.

In the future, The best place to ask this question is the Excel area of answers.microsoft.com – specifically the Windows Excel Desktop area ( http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-excel-os_device_win10desk?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=threads&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=all&tm=1456878400400&auth=1 )

We’ve got folks over there who can help with questions like this, and we’re trying to keep the UserVoice site for new product ideas.

Hope that helps,

Dan [MS]

• Filter Boxed Colored when Active

When you have a filter box active, can the box be coloured so it is easier to see which columns have filters on them that are active and which are not?

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Ben,

I think the idea you’re asking for is already supported (slightly differently than your suggestion) in current versions of Excel 2016 (or O365).

When you filter an AutoFilter, Table, or PivotTable in current versions, the filter box (we call it the ‘Filter Drop down’) will show both the down arrow, as well as a filter icon in it. You can then look to see what columns have that filter icon in them to know what’s being filtered.

Let me know if you were thinking of something else, or if you’re not seeing that behavior.

Cheers,
                      Dan [MS]

PS – in previous versions of Excel, when a filter was applied, the down arrow in the Filter Drop Down would change from black to blue (which we thought was a bit too subtle, so we added the additional icon.

• Excel as default for .tsv files.

I used to be able to set Excel as the defaul application for opening .tsv files (which is the default format for exporting some of our finance files from other apps). Now I have to save as a WordPad file, and then open that file and copy/paste into Excel in order to get the data into columns for sums, etc. This is a huge waste of time when it can be done automatically. Please bring back this capability.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is not Excel functionality, but rather Windows, and is doable already. To associate .TSV files with Excel, do the following:

1. Find a TSV file on your computer.
                        2. Right click on the TSV file and select “Open with…” (and if a menu appears, select “choose and app”)
                        3. Check the box to “Always use this app to open .tsv files”
                        4. Select Excel in the list of apps at the top of the dialog, or browse for Excel if it’s not listed there.
                        5. Click OK.

That should do it for you. In the future, answers.microsoft.com is a better place for questions like this.

Cheers,
                        Dan [MS]

• 1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow users to disable date grouping in PivotTables

Please make functionality "improvements" with the ability to choose when to use them. Excel now "auto-groups" certain data in pivot tables. I don't need or want this most of the time, but I can't turn it off. Now I'm in a bind where I need to process several reports and have to figure out how to work with this new forced "enhancement"

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Nicole,

Good news – this is already supported in Excel. To turn off Date Grouping in PivotTables, go to File > Options > Advanced, scroll down to the “Data” section, and toggle the “Disable automatic grouping of Date/Time columns in PivotTables.”

Cheers,
                            Dan [MS]

• Make subscription versions of Office 365 work (make new features available) even when I'm not connected to the internet / am offline.

In the past Office worked independently of the Internet. Now I'm forced to have an Internet connection to get anything done. I pay my annual fee and should be able to use all Office Products when offline.

15 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

This isn’t an Excel specific issue (so there’s nothing we can do in Excel to change this), but I’ll try to give a bit of info here to be helpful.

With Office 365, you don’t need to be connected to the internet at all times in order to use the “new” (subscription) functionality that is part of the monthly/annual fee. Office licensing has a “heartbeat” that checks your license and then caches that information locally for the times when you’re offline. That cache lasts for about a month – so as long as you connect to the internet monthly, you shouldn’t run into a problem where features aren’t working.

That may not solve everyone’s problem (I realize there are some people with no internet connection at all, and a non-subscription version of Office may be better in those situations), but hopefully it helps a bit.

Cheers,
                              Dan [MS]

• Ability to both freeze colums AND rows at the same time

Ability to both freeze colums AND rows at the same time would be fantastic. Also, not just the top row or first colum, I want to be able to choose from where the freeze panes starts.

When scrolling down, the frozen colums can roll up. But when sliding sideways, the colum remains put and the frozen rows slide along. Can't be that hard, to do?

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Shanna,

This is already supported. To freeze both rows and columns in Excel 2016, do the following:

1. Put your cell selection in the cell below the row you want “frozen” and to the right of the last column you want “frozen” (said another way – put it in the first cell that you want to be able to scroll either direction – C5 for instance)
                                2. On the View Ribbon, choose Freeze Panes > Freeze Panes.

That should do it.

Cheers,
                                Dan [MS]

• Time not as Time of day

Excel has plenty of number formats and time functions, however there is no way to have times (for athletes tracking times etc.) with longer decimals in the seconds position. I want to have cells formatted as hh:mm:ss.### given that "#" is a number representing the partial seconds after the decimal. Clearly I can use the apostrophe to input these times as text, but then I cannot use functions to find how much time has passed. Excel needs to have more time formats that do not necessarily correspond with the time of day, and that allow for fractional seconds beyond one…

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Excel already supports showing fractional seconds. To get them, you can use the following number format:

hh:mm:ss.000

(you can also omit the hh:mm if you just want seconds)

Hope that helps,
                                  Dan [MS]

• Add calculation options to grand totals

It'd be great if we can have multiple calculation options to the grand total for rows and columns. In other words, get grand totals to show not just the sum but also give the ability to count, average...etc

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi John,

Kenneth beat me to it, but this is already possible today with Excel – the Grand Total will show whatever aggregation you’re using for the column. To change that,

1. In the PivotTable Fields pane, click on one of your fields in the Values section.
                                    2. Choose Value Field Settings.
                                    3. In the scrollable list that appears, choose a calculation type other than Sum.

Hope that helps,
                                    Dan [MS]

• Please provide a delete special option which enables users to delete only the formats,values,formula or validation.

Just like the paste special option which enables users to paste the values formula or formats, A delete option for all individual aspects will be really helpful.For example:-If a user just wants to delete a value but not the formula he has to delete the whole thing and retype it again.So this feature can enable them to delete only the aspect they want

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Praveen,

This functionality already exists in Excel (but a bit hidden). To take advantage of it, you can:

1. Select the range you want to delete an aspect of
                                      2. On the Home Ribbon > in the Editing chunk (right side of the ribbon) > Clear drop down, choose what it is that you want to clear.

Hope that helps,
                                      Dan [MS]

• Please return "Ctrl+{" or "Ctrl+[" to follow link (ref to precedent cell) used in formula!!!!!!

I'm a financial analyst and it's very hard to check big financial models with a lot of formulas and spend time of arrows.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Ctrl+{a and Ctrl+[ should still work to follow dependencies (I just tried in the most recent version of Excel 2016).

Can you let me know what version of Excel you’re using where the behavior isn’t working anymore?

Cheers,
                                        Dan [MS]

• Allow me to format with "" and insert /n

Can you allow me to format text with "" Example "John Doe" Also, can you create button that inserts a \n where I need it?

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi George,

You can already format text with quotes (but maybe I’m misunderstanding what type of formatting you’d like to see – please clarify).

For inserting a new line, you can press Alt+Enter

Cheers,
                                          Dan [MS]

• paste as text

excel is missing one important function: PASTE AS TEXT...

for various reasons pasting with excel intelligent guessing the type of data in the pasted cells do not work well, although there is no error in that (doing unexpected conversions of pasted data)...

what I need is the functionality to say to excel: paste all data as text into appropriate cells (and I will later edit it and correct and convert data)

also, convert-text-to-columns should have that functionality... yes, I am aware that I can use that functionality at the column level, but I would also like to be able to…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported, if I understand what you’re looking for. Look for Paste Special > Values (if you copied from Excel) or Paste as Text (if you copied from another app).

Cheers,
                                            Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base