Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unhiding Column A should no longer be a usability nightmare

Unintuitive tricks are required to unhide column A once it's been hidden. Why not provide a hover click-target that offers to reveal column A if the mouse pointer lingers up in the left edge of the header of column B? In fact, why not use such a widget to allow any hidden columns to be revealed? If I leave my mouse pointer in the column header row adjacent to a hidden column, that is what I want to do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We now make this much easier with Excel 2016 – there’s a special hit target if column A is hidden.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

2. Multiple charts when using Pivot charts that dont automatically update when Pivot table is changed

Currently when using pivot charts you can only have one chart, as when you make one chart from the select pivot data and then go to make another the first chart will change with e new pivot table options, so currently you have to make multiple pivot tables of the same data to have more than one chart, it would be better if you could have a option to stop the charts from updating automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Excel 2013, we introduced the ability for you to create a PivotChart independent of a PivotTable. Please give that a try and see if it meets your needs.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

3. Grouping Dates in PivotTables

When using a PivotTable where one of the fields is a date in either the rows or columns, Excel treats each day as its own row or column. It would be very useful to be able to group the dates and have Excel summarize the data by month, quarter, or year in the PivotTable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Bernie,

Kenneth’s comment (that you can do this by selecting and then grouping dates) is right on.

Further, in Excel 2016 and later, when you create a Pivot with a Date field, Excel will automatically group for you. In that case, if you want to go back to the previous behavior, you can by following the instructions here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Turn-off-time-grouping-in-PivotTables-in-Excel-2016-for-Windows-6be5afed-348c-4db2-9f87-5ac262d67b3f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Cheers
    Dan [MS]

4. Be able to use CSV as live datasource / database

There are several users editing a CSV file (it's easier, no license required, etc). I want to have a spreadsheet which will automatically load the CSV when I start Excell, populate the spreadsheet and update all the formulas. I will not change the CSV format, and it would be better to not re-import the CSV everytime. For example: all employees enter the time start and time end in the CSV. At the end ot the week, I start my spreadsheet and without any additional click, I see how much do I have to pay.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Here are the steps to get an automatic refresh from the csv file:
    •From a blank workbook select “From Text” in the “Get External Data” section of the Data tab
    •Use the Text Import Wizard to set how your csv file will be imported.
    •After you select Finish to exit the Import Wizard, a dialog box titled Import Text will come up.
    •Select the Properties button on this dialog box.
    •An External Data Range Properties box will come up.
    •In the Refresh Control section of the box, you should uncheck the “Prompt for file name on refresh” selection, set the frequency of refresh in minutes, and make sure there will be a refresh when you open the workbook.

You can return to the Properties box anytime by either right-clicking on the imported data in the worksheet or selecting “Connections” from the Data tab.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

5. Optimize Performance with Excel reports connected to SSAS

Customers complain about poor performance when Excel is connected to SSAS. Please look at support case REG:115011912292884 for more details. Besides other things, we need to make MD perform equally well with PreferredQueryPatterns = 1. Also, in some cases Excel takes forever to refresh the metadata after clicking the Refresh button. This usually happens when there are a lot of calculations in the model, a new calculation is added, and Refresh is clicked. There are no pending queries to SSAS.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-07-01 ====

Good news – as of the June release, we’ve completed work on this feature.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

== November 2015 ==

Hi Teo,

Thanks for logging this request. We’ve started working on several items to improve performance of Excel with SSAS, can’t wait to release them and get your feedback!

ash

6. Enable Excel PowerView to connect to Multidimensional SSAS cubes

Currently Excel PowerView can only connect to a Tabular or PowerPivot model. We need the ability to connect to multidimensional cubes as well. There's a large number of customers who could leverage existing MD cubes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Gridlines - you cant see them

The gridlines are always light gray on white or white on gray. Its maddening that you cant see them. Its also one pixel wide. GIVE ME A SETTING for color. I want a black gridline not gray. I also want a setting for width.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Bill.

Turns out you can do this already – Just head into File | Options | Advanced | Display options for this worksheet and then choose the gridline color.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

8. Someone from the Office development team should respond to some of these issues.

Lots of people have taken the trouble to contribute ideas and issues about Microsoft products, but I haven't seen a single response from a Microsoft staff member on these forums. Are we just venting our anger here, or does Microsoft actually care about its customers?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re working to promote the usage of Excel User Voice sites through customer connection channels. If you hear someone asks “Will [feature x] ever be built in Excel? I really need it”, please immediately send them to http://excel.uservoice.com/ and ask them to submit their idea or else vote on it, if it already exists.

9. Allow clipart to be used in bar charts.

Allow clipart to be used in bar charts. For example a chart showing sales of motorcycles and automobiles could use appropriate icons and a value could be set where 1 graphic = x units.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improve the Concatenate Function

Make Concatenate to Work with Range of Cells / Arrays rather than 1 cell separated by Comas

=CONCATENATE(Array,Seperator)
    The Array to Accept A1:A10 or A1:D1 or {"Abb","Areva","BHEL"} or {"ABB";"Areva";"BHEL}
    or

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow text font attribuates (bold, italics, underlines, superscipt, etc.) to be changed by Ctrl+... when editing graph title, axis labels, e

When editing a cell contents, a graph title, graph axis, etc., it would save time if we could change the font attributes of the selected text (bold, italics, etc.) by a Ctrl+... key combination, instead of going through popup menu > Font > dialog > OK button.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Worksheet Undocking.

Undocking a worksheet. I would love to be able to undock a worksheet or two while working in a workbook. When creating formulas that cross reference other workbooks it becomes very time consuming to keep selecting another tab. It also disables the use of show precedent or dependent options. I use another bit of software called plan-swift that more or less runs on an excel type platform and it has this undocking option so I can put each worksheet on a separate screen It save lots of time and helps me be more accurate.

Currently I save copies of a…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

The ability to “keep a sheet on top or in a separate window” is available today. To accomplish this, head on over to the View ribbon and select “New Window.”

That will give you a second (or third, fourth, etc.) window that displays the same workbook, and you can independently navigate sheets, etc. to keep those you want ‘always visible’ available.

It’s a bit different interaction paradigm than the browser or IDE (SSL Mgmt Studio) where you “drag a tab”, but it accomplishes the same result.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

13. Kindly make power pivot option as a standard in excel 2016

The use of pivot has increased over the period of time. Currently power pivot is provided as add-in and is not part of standard excel. Request you to make power pivot as a standard option in next release of excel i.e. Excel 2016

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base