Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pick color in Excel Like at Powerpoint

In Powerpoint there is a color picker tool to bring custom colors to the pallete.

Many times we need to do it using PowerPoint to get the RGB combination to be used in Excel.

Could you replicate this color picker into Excel in the same way it exists in PowerPoint?

Portuguese:

Conta-gotas PowerPoint

No Powerpoint existe uma ferramenta para pegar as cores e retornar para a paleta, o conta-gotas.

Vocês podem fazer o mesmo no Excel?

Porque muitas vezes nós precisamos fazer isso usando o PowerPoint para pegar o RGB e colocar no Excel.

354 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

56 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please fix conditional formatting!!

I create Conditional Formatting on whole columns. I should be able to insert, delete, blank within my range without Conditional Formatting breaking up into formatted sections which eventually causes some rows not to format correctly. I am constantly correcting the Conditional Formatting which is very time-consuming! It is such a handy tool but very frustrating tool to work with.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Entering Dates after 2030

I'm entering dates going out to 2032, and when I enter dates like 10/1/32, Excel is changing the date to 1932. Excel should be defaulting to 2032 like it does for dates in the 2020's.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Need the ability to format multiple colours of text in one cell for excel online

Currently in Excel Online, when I format the colour of text in a single cell it changes the colour of all text in that cell. I would like the ability to change the colour of highlighted text only so I can have multiple colours of text in one cell.

After looking on multiple forums, I can see this has been an issue for many users for a number of years.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Number format thousand separator and no decimals

Every time (many days a year) I train people in Excel, someone ask why there is no button or shortcut to obtain a number format with "thousand separator and no decimals". At least - in northern Europe - this is the most common used number format. If "button-solution" not possible for Microsoft in order to have common buttons world-wide, at least a shortcut for this has been much appreciated. (Note that the current button for thousand separator and two decimals could not be used, though the alignment in that format are not disired/good and two decimals used).
    Today I teach…

543 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

105 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel hex color codes for formatting

Please allow to enter Hex color codes when choosing colors for cell fills, borders, fonts, charts, etc...
    RGB and HSV are triple the work!

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dynamic Arrays, Spill range format

When a Spill range changes (eg due to the source data changing) it would be nice if any Formatting that is applied to the Spill Formula Cell is also applied to the entire Spill Range.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add hanging indentation

In wrapped text, need to be able to indent all but the first line

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Conditional formatting cell width

Allow conditional formatting to be applied so that cell widths and heights can be specified.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please correct the error in the accounting format

• Open a new Excel worksheet

• Format the entire worksheet with Accounting Format, 0 Decimal places, Symbol: None

• Enter 100 into cell A1

• In cell A2 enter the formula =A1*5/12

• Note that the format has now changed to show 2 decimal places

This only seems to occur with the Accounting Format. Using the Number Format this change won't occur. However the Accounting Format is a convenient format for someone like me in the financial professional that likes their worksheets to show "-" instead of "0"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Change standart number format

I always change my number format to accounting and remove the decimals or number with thousand separator and no decimals. While this task is easy it's annoying to do in every single workbook. It would be super helpful if there was an option somewhere that would let me change my default number format. I know there is an option to automatically add a decimal, this would be pretty much the same thing except instead of a decimal, it would add a thousand separator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Have multiple "recent" colors for cell fill and text in the ribbon at all times

In a given workbook, I frequently use several different colors over and over again for both fill and text. Wouldn't it be great to have those few colors constantly in the ribbon rather than simply the last? Even having just one extra color (last used and second to last used) would be a significant improvement since it is most often that I go back and forth between two colors, whether for cell or text color. If not that, then perhaps a hover/drop down feature that goes to the recent colors when you point at the last.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. I want to be able to place a plus sign (+) in front of a positive number

The plus sign is meant to amplify the positive value. So far, I have only found this formatting for negative numbers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Named conditional formatting rules

Named conditional formatting rules - If you could name your rules they would be easier to identify. Also, it would be nice if you could right click a cell and have a choice to add it to a named conditional formatting rule. Excel would need to be intelligent enough to be able to add the cell or group of cells to the rule correctly.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. KEYBOARD SHORTCUT TO INSERT A ROW OR COLUMN

A KEYBOARD SHORTCUT TO INSERT A ROW BENEATH THE SELECTED ROW OR TO THE RIGHT OF THE SELECTED COLUMN

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Option to auto wrap pivot table headers

Most of my pivot tables end up having wrap text applied to the header rows to avoid them being too wide. This would be a useful option to set in the default pivot table layout or the table element formatting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. When I type a

When I type a date, I would like it to take the format I type in, instead of auto changing to a format that I do not want, and having to go through all the hoops to change it back. If I type 4/15/19, that is what I want, if I type April 15, 2019, that is what I want, yet both default to auto correct to 15-APR-2019

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Mend a Custom cell format mm:ss Bug

If I choose the cell custom format hh:mm:ss and enter 0:27:31 the cell shows 00:27:31 - As Expected.
    If I choose the Cell custom format hh:mm and enter 16:54 the cell displays 16:54 - As Expected.
    HOWEVER
    If I choose the cell custom format mm:ss and enter 27:31 the cell shows 31:00 - Completely UNEXPECTED
    If I choose the cell custom format mm:ss and enter 27.31 the cell shows 26:24 - Even More unexpected.
    This HAS been replicated by MS Chat who advised I post it here.

I CAN use the hh:mm:ss option and have 00: extra in every field…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fill Color

Sometimes when reconciling spreadsheets i use multiple colors to keep changes, numbers, edits, separated. Every time i need to change the color of my "fill color" it is really frustrating to go to the fill icon, chose the drop down menu, find the exact color i was using just to have to do it all over again the next time i need the "other" color. It would be nice to be able to add multiple "fill color" icons to my tool ribbon that way i can just click the color i need quickly and go back and forth between colors…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base