Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. shortcut to remove all filters

easy shortcut to remove all the filters on tables in a worksheet.

I work in finance and always filtering and unfiltering multiple columns, it would be fantastic and save so much time to have this shortcut.

thank you
    Samantha Casey

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide drop down list of columns where filters are applied with column's alphabetical label in brackets.

This ties in with recommendations of others where they recommend changing the color of the filter button to easily identify filtered columns. Also consider providing drop down option or pop up option to list column names (with alphabetical label of column, such as (A), (B), etc). This will help to easily identify columns where filters are applied. You don't necessarily want to go to each column, but rather want to catch up with the logic / thought process you were busy with. Maybe some short abbreviated info about the values filtered as well.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Clear All Filters for a table

These days most worksheets have a lot of columns and are used collaboratively. As a result various users can put filters on columns of their choice, and when I see the worksheet I need to go clear all the filters to be able to see the full data. Instead of having to go to each column to clear its filter, I would rather have a single button or context/menu option to clear all filters.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a total column to tables

Currently, there is a total row that sums all of the numbers in the same column. It would be nice to have this same thing but transposed, where excel automatically adds a total column that adds everything in that respective row. I am making a manual inventory right now, and every time there is a new order I have to update the SUM function to include the new quantities.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Quick Filter (for a list of values)

Create a filter feature where you can paste a list of values into a field and then the filter you are using will filter to all of those values.

Sometimes I receive lists of projects or people who I need to look into for reasons that don't fit into categories captured by other columns (such as, every completed project or everyone on a certain team). Trying to filter to 20+ projects out of a list of thousands by typing in each project ID and clicking "Add Selection to Current Filter" is a pain. When I receive an email from my…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make large tables of data easier to read

Create a feature that, after you select a table, it creates a very light contrast color on every 2nd or 3rd line, to make it easier to read. The feature should automatically highlight every 2nd or 3rd row, regardless of sorting, filtering, or otherwise rearranging the internals of the table. So, every time you make a change to the table, you do not have to highlight and fill in every 2nd or 3rd row, since the feature would do this automatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. filter data moved together with unchecked filter rows

when I have filter and I unchecked some data and then try to copy data from 1 column to other, unchecked row data is also moving even if it is not visible. this needs an improvement unless I am missing any settings.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. sort a table or range on multiple columns using "ctrl + click"

sort a table or range on multiple columns using "ctrl + click" to add extra sorts. It's a pain to have to manually specify the column names in the "custom sort" dialogue and would be much faster if you could sort this way. Microsoft access has a simliar functionality

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. re-arranging pinned documents

My pinned docs in excel, word, etc. are arranged alphabetically. I would like to re-arrange the pinned docs so the ones I use the most are at the top.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Excel Autofilter - Values of cells - Werte aus Zellen benutzen

i often plot diagrams and i want to limit x-values. this works well with autofilter on the x-values in the table (smaller than/greater than). The diagram gets plotted correct.

It woulde be useful to read this values out of cells so they could be changed easily.

Ich stelle oft Diagramme dar und möchte die X-Werte eingrenzen.
    Dies funktioniert schön, wenn ich in der Tabelle die X-Werte über einen autofilter "ist größer als" und "ist kleiner als" eingrenze. Das Diagramm wird dann auf den gewünschten Wertebereich geplottet.

Um dies zu vereinfachen, wäre es hilfreich, die Werte für min und max aus…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. floating slicers

I have a spreadsheet which spans around 100 columns and 500 rows.

I have a slicer to quickly filter the information I need to see, but, if I scroll away from where the slicer is placed, it becomes lost as it is anchored to the spreadsheet rather than floating above it.

Please could you add an option to either anchor or float the slicers (i.e. don't only have one option, please give us the functionality to choose if we want our slicers anchored or to float).

If the slicer floats, then I could scroll anywhere on the sheet and would…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Continue with the current selection can be first option in sort and remove duplicates

Removing duplicates and sort are asking for two options 1. Expand the selection 2. Continue with the current selection. If the options are rearranged as below then it will help for fast working
    1.Continue with the current selection
    2.Expand the selection

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. sort/select worksheets by color

I think that the ability to sort/select/hide/unhide worksheets by tab color would be very helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Maintabs and subtabs

Hello!
    I think you ought to create maintabs and subtabs in excel with a drop and drag functionality. That principle would create a much better overview in excel. Tabs that are linked together can be connected and hidden under a maintab. Much like apps on mobile phones and app archives.
    Thank you!
    Frej

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Introduce an option on the filters that allows you to arrange data in that column according to how close it is to a given value.

For example if I had the numbers 3, 7, 9, 12, 15, 20 I would love to select filter, select "by proximity to" and then type in the number 10. Excel would then arrange the data as 9, 12, 7, 15, 3, 20 as 9 is closest to 10, 12 is the next nearest etc. It doesn't matter whether the number is higher, or lower than the given number.
    It would be a really quick and easy way of saying if the mean of this data was 10 which data is closest to average, irrespective of whether it's higher, or…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to create filter presets

In our international company we are working with large files, and always need to apply filters a lot. By creating filter presets for column, and triggering it by link / button (w/o macro!) we would be able to filter range of data by category and versions of out product.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I will appreciate if I can group rows into more than 8 layers

Currently, one can only group rows up to 8 layers. However, I do need to group rows up to 20 layers. Is it possible to group rows into more than 8 layers?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Montly report snapshot

For an amateur spreadsheet user, if there is a way to personalize the items on the Snapshot page, so I could see a snapshot of all my monthly spending, not only the Frequent merchants or merchants where the most was spent, it would be great.
    I need a report I could produce using Money in Excel that I could take to a family meeting that shows all our monthly spending, yet organized. I realize I could copy and past info from my transaction page and then sort the way I want it, but having it already completed in a template…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Montly report snapshot

If there is a way to personalize the items on the Snapshot page, so I could see a snapshot of all my monthly spending, not only the Frequent merchants or merchants where the most was spent, it would be great.
    I need a report I could produce using Money in Excel that I could take to a family meeting that shows all our monthly spending, yet organized. I realize I could copy and past info from my transaction page and then sort the way I want it, but having it already completed in a template would be awesome!

And if…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Multiple cells selection problem

We select multiple cells by holding control key. But when we accidentally select a cell without holding control key, all selected cells are gone and we have to do the selection again. This is very irritating. Please add option for the same.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base