Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Here’s an idea – RESPOND TO OUR COMMENTS! PROVIDE AN UPDATE!

It has been nearly a year since an admin provided an update on the idea, “Restore MDI file handling (open all files in one window); Kill SDI (each spreadsheet opens in a seperate window)”

Please provide an update. Are you still accepting votes and considering restoration of MDI? Or, should we start looking for alternative products and pirate software to return to a more effective Excel version?

Again, here are the issues:

1. Stability
    * I experience ~3X Excel crashes in 2016 (SDI) as compared to 2010 (MDI)
    * Microsoft claims Excel is more stable, but my experience is the…

149 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. [Excel Currency Conversion Function] add Tezos XTZ (Cryptocurrency)

Please add support for Tezos in this function.
    Tezos is very popular and provides formal verification for Smart-Contracts, on-chain-Governance and it is the first Blockchain which is amendable (without the need of so called "Hardforks"). Ticker symbol is $XTZ.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Excel found a problem with one or more formula references" - Please tell me where!

One of my least favorite messages that Excel provides is:

"Excel found a problem with one or more formula references in this worksheet. Check that the cell references, range names, defined names, and links to other workbooks in your formulas are all correct."

But I can never find the bad references. It's usually buried somewhere very deep, in a chart series formula, or in a name definition, or who knows where else.

If Excel finds a problem, please Excel, tell us where it is.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Getting Data from another excel file copies the cell format and style

I want to have a separate excel sheet that can get an updated data from another worksheet and also follows the cell format and style.

I can only get an updated data but it won't follow the cell format and style

If I do a copy/paste, I can get the data with the format and style but it won't update any data if there are changes from the other workbook

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When copying tabs, somtimes we have to cycle through 100s of "Yes" or "No" to the "Name already exists warning" Can we add Yes to All option

This is a major productivity killer for power users such as finance teams, and current UX does not help exit this state efficiently.

173 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Convert Dynamic Arrays into Tables

The new Dynamic Arrays make possible to automatically fill down formulas. Tables can also fill down formulas. Microsoft Excel Team could make both features be compatible so we could convert Dynamic Arrays into Tables making them expand and shrink according to the main formula.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add Power BI Dataflows as a data source in "Get & Transform Data"

Please add Power BI Dataflows as a data source so that I can import data from a Dataflow into the local spreadsheet/data model.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-create-use

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Number format thousand separator and no decimals

Every time (many days a year) I train people in Excel, someone ask why there is no button or shortcut to obtain a number format with "thousand separator and no decimals". At least - in northern Europe - this is the most common used number format. If "button-solution" not possible for Microsoft in order to have common buttons world-wide, at least a shortcut for this has been much appreciated. (Note that the current button for thousand separator and two decimals could not be used, though the alignment in that format are not disired/good and two decimals used).
    Today I teach…

497 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

102 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Default the Power Query formula bar as on

In the Power Query editor window the formula bar is defaulted as off. This is the first thing I tell people to turn on as it’s key to avoiding unintended errors and future proofing your code.

As Gil Raviv says in his book, “ Enabling the formula bar is fundamental to avoid the pitfalls”

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Pull Current Stock Prices and Historical Data Into Excel

Now that our ability to use Yahoo! Finance's API to pull in stock information via the WEBSERVICE() function and import historical information is officially dead (thanks Verizon!), the only viable option currently is to use Google sheets to pull in stock information.

It would be awesome if Excel could import data from MSN Money so us users can continue to use spreadsheets to monitor our portfolios.

996 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

370 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,
    Stock data types are now available to all Windows Office 365 subscribers with an English editing language installed (our data is only available in English at this time). You can find some instructions on how to use the feature here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/get-a-stock-quote-e5af3212-e024-4d4c-bea0-623cf07fbc54. The feature will also be appearing in Excel for Mac and Excel Online in early 2019 – as usual, Office Insiders will see the feature before the general population. See http://aka.ms/officeinsider for more info.

One pro tip to locate instruments on a different exchange is to include an ISO country code alongside the symbol, for instance MX MSFT will tell Excel to grab Microsoft from the Mexican stock exchange instead of Nasdaq. We’ll be publishing more thorough documentation in the near future.

We also acknowledge that this is only half of the requested feature in this suggestion – the current stock prices piece. The ability to…

13. Let me choose Decimal separator and Date order in PowerQuery instead of guessing

When importing textfiles using Get and Transform I always struggle with one thing: I do not know upfront what the decimal separator and date order is of my text file. PQ only offers to choose a Locale, but it does not tell me what date order and syntax, nor which decimal separator belongs to this locale.
    I'd love to be able to just choose the relevant separators and date order from a couple of drop-downs. I can almost always see which it is I need from the data, but I hardly ever know which locale belongs to the specific combination…

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Please support Unicode font in VBA

Please support Unicode font in VBA.

Thank you!

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. COUNT.DISTINCT Values

Proposal for a built-in function for: Count distinct/unique values in a range

There might be a dedicated function for counting distinct values in a specific range.
    Currently the following function is a solution:
    =SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF([RANGE],[RANGE]))

However beginner-level users would like probably a predefined parametric function, sg like this:
    =COUNT.DISTINCT([RANGE])

Thank you.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Function and formulas recommended

Mohammed A Elrify
    Mohammed A Elrify Occasional Contributor

4m ago

Suggested to Microsoft EXCEL
    By creating the advantage of the proposed Function and formulas recommended
    Such as recommended pivot tables and recommended charts

For example, the work of options for the user
    For example if he wanted to compile on terms, he would have the formula SUMIFS ready and only a choice
    Also like the search that VLOOKUP uses
    And so on
    I hope the Microsoft community will support and encourage this idea

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Excel hex color codes for formatting

Please allow to enter Hex color codes when choosing colors for cell fills, borders, fonts, charts, etc...
    RGB and HSV are triple the work!

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable to sort separate range columns in latest desktop version of Excel

Trying to sort out multiple columns in Excel but received an error!! This is possible on earlier versions of Excel desktop. Need to sort multiple columns at once.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. stop automatically removing leading zeros from cells. they should stay be default as they are NEEDED for the sheet.

stop automatically removing leading zeros from cells. they should stay be default as they are NEEDED for the sheet.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Need the ability to format multiple colours of text in one cell for excel online

Currently in Excel Online, when I format the colour of text in a single cell it changes the colour of all text in that cell. I would like the ability to change the colour of highlighted text only so I can have multiple colours of text in one cell.

After looking on multiple forums, I can see this has been an issue for many users for a number of years.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 364 365
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base