Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Excel Macros to be written in PowerShell

Allow Excel Macros to be written in PowerShell.
    It would also be amazing if it could be used as an alternative to field functions such as "=PRODUCT(A1:A10))"

I believe that Microsoft Excel naively supporting PowerShell as a 21st century alternative to VBA would be the most beneficial change made to the software since release.

Almost all Microsoft products are becoming PowerShell integrated, yet Office remains only supporting VBA.
    VBA is an archaic procedural language which despite its ambivalent love from the community, seems to have little to no place in the modern world.
    PowerShell can directly interact with COM objects…

41 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add option to filter drop down list

i wants to add an option to filter drop down list which gives output as in inverse select in filter

example: in a column i have values as 1,2,3 & 4. In a filter firstly i selected with 1 & 3 then with the help of above idea which output is select 2 & 4 in filter.

43 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • I want to deselect the cell which I copied from after pasting. At the moment, to deselect the cell I copied from, I have to hit Esc button.

I copied data from a cell.
        I click Ctrl V to paste the data onto another cell.
        But right now, I have to hit Esc button to deselect/remove the dotted lines/take away the focus from the originally copied cell. Does this sound right to you??? N O ! ! ! There is a problem.
        Usually, after copying from a cell, you paste the data onto another cell and the original cell which you copied from gets deselected with no dotted lines surrounding the cell. Also, usually after pasted the data onto another cell, if you start typing in another cell,…

75 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • AutoSave Master Switch rather than an "I Told YOu So!" later

Microsoft has added a new feature to help users co-author files. Whether you are for or against this feature is not my point here: it needs Excel's AutoSave switched on to work. That's fine. But it shouldn't be the default. It is accepted that Office is trying to make various apps consistent, but Excel is used differently. What makes it the most popular software in the world is the ability to experiment without consequences.

Made a mistake? No fear, close without saving and re-open. Accidentally delete a sheet? Don't worry, close without saving and re-open. Replaced all formulae with =RAND()?…

157 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Formatting codes need to be translated inside formulas

The formatting codes are different in every language, so for example, for the day is "d" in English, "g" (from "giorno") in Italian, "T" (from "Tag") in German).

Working in a multi-language environment where different users have different language settings on their PC gives the problem that when you write a formula that contains the formatting codes, the formatting codes are not translated and the formula doesn't provide the intended result.

For example, if I, with language settings in Italian, want to write a formula to display the current date as text in English, I have to use the following:…

31 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Change default settings for data preview in background

I really hope that this is something the team is already working on, but just to make sure:

Please change the default-setting in Power Query for Data Load: Background data -> "Allow data preview to download in the background".

This should be DISABLED by default.

So many people are not even aware of how much unnecessary waiting time this default-settings can cause. At least this "performance"-stopper is avoidable in Power Query!

15 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Open-source the visualizations engine in Excel like you've done with PowerBI.

I'm going to paraphrase Chris Campbell from Blue Granite because he sets it out far more eloquently than I ever could:

The trend for the past several years has been for customers to want to leverage out-of-the-box capabilities of their BI tool to support reporting and analysis. But software companies simply can't keep up with new innovations in visualization.

Open sourcing visuals in Excel means they would become drag-n-drop objects just like all the other built in options. The ability to extend the capabilities of the product with an easily accessible, open source interface opens up tons of possibilities, and…

29 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Invert Filter Selection

I'd like to see an option to invert filter selections. For example: If i apply a filter in a table i can select some boxes with a tickmark, but if i want to invert my selection i need to unmark selected itens before and mark the others.

In resume, i'd like to invert itens selected in a filter for the others unmarked.

67 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Error With Protect Sheets

The Error was introduced on 08/25/2017 in Office 365 ProPlus Excel 2016 version 1708 (build 8431.2046), as shown below.

The error occurs when some range of cells as "Unprotected" are selected and this selection is change to “Protect”, making a "Select Locked Cells" and "Select Unlocked Cells" options unchecked, the sheet will be blocked all together. The user can’t click on any cell. However, by right clicking on any cell, the Clear Content option will appear, and clicking on it will clear the cell that was previously unlocked from the protection, losing the data and invalidating the sheet protection. Another…

12 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Options for AutoSave

The AutoSave function is a great idea!!
                      Just not in practice...
                      In my business we re-use the same invoices made in excel for the same jobs, however save them as a new file each time in order to keep a record of the previous invoice.
                      The new AutoSave feature is extremely dangerous in this regard.
                      If I, or someone else, does not remember to turn off AutoSave, or save as a new file BEFORE making new changes, we LOSE our previous invoice.

Have options for AutoSave, the most important one being, DEFAULT OFF rather than default on.

9 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Ability to reference the end of the column or row regardless of the starting position

I can enter A:A to reference the entire column or 1:1 for the whole row, but if I want to go from A2:A, I have to enter a number for the end of the range.

What if I don't know where it ends? Or where it may end someday? If I type A2:A10000 I'm safe only as long as my data doesn't exceed 9,999 rows, which is hard to determine. I want to reference the whole rest of the column regardless of how much it expands in the future.

And because of this, sometimes a reference like A:A in conditional…

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Make quick measures like in Power BI available in Excel as well

In Power BI we can easily create quick measures: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/quick-measures-preview/
                          This makes it so much easier for newbies or occasional users to adopt the new technologies, so please add in Excel as well.

19 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allow interaction with Excel while in Power Query

Please make the Power Query editor window (Get Data) non-model. When building complex queries, we often need to go back to Excel to change a worksheet and look at data. Right now, the Power Query editor window takes control over the application, preventing interaction with Excel.

The current behaviour makes it very difficult to do things like the following:
                            -Mid query, go back and check a worksheet to see exactly what a cell value may be that you want to refer to
                            -When we have a static table in Excel and are trying to build a query that lands an…

94 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Make slicers visible "On Demand".

Allow the user to configure if the slicer is always in view or pops up on-demand. Activation/visibility could be triggered by selecting a visible report filter field or pivot table column header. Alternately, a report filter field could be configured to pop-up a slicer instead of, or in addition to the normal selection box. Another alternate would be to have report filter field style boxes independent of the pivot table range which would pop-up the slicer when selected. Lastly, a slicer selection panel could be added with a list of parameters to choose which would cause the slicer to pop-up

13 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add another fill option.

There could be two paint bucket icons so you could choose 2 different fill colors. That way when you are color coding data, you can easily use 2 colors instead of having to drop down and select a new color each time.

6 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add Zoom Magnification choices between 75% and 110%

Simply add in 80%, 85%, 90%, 95% zoom option buttons

I almost never use 25%, 50%, 200% and I doubt many users do use these choices much if ever.

The 75% choice always seems a bit too small to be useful, so I regularly have to Custom zoom to something between 75% and 100%.

Adding more choice between 75% and up to 110% would add considerable convenience.

5 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Automatically finish IFERROR() with ""

The second argument of IFERROR() is currently required, but it should be optional and the default would be to replace the error with ""). There are exceptions of course, but I think the majority of users put in IFERROR() to get rid of ugly errors that they're expecting, like in a series that will be completed in the future.

I find myself retroactively adding IFERROR( to the beginning of my formulas to clean up the worksheet, but Excel requires me to also click to the end of the formula and add the second argument plus an ending parentheses. For how…

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • I need more options and control for Excel Headers and Footers

We have our logo as well as a title up in the header on many of our Excel spreadsheets and we'd like more control with editing the headers/footers. Why can't we add more than one picture? Why can't we had shapes? Why can't we have more than 250 characters?
                                      We also want the header to be visible no matter what view we're in, Normal, Page Break or Page Layout, so we know it's always there, without having to open the Header and Footer tab or going to Print Preview. These features need to work for both the Windows and Mac…

10 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Provide more diagnostics for the data / from web process to help developers of the web service resolve the problem with http basic auth.

At the moment, Excel is failing to recognise that the http basic authentication was successful and refuses to ingest the data into the spreadsheet.
                                        The web server is returning an http-200 and the data requested, but Excel is saying that the supplied credentials did not work.

With no insight into why Excel thinks it didn't work, how can I fix my web service*?
                                        Why is Excel not recognising this when IE11, FireFox, Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi all say it works fine?

Prior to the re-working of the Data ingest process in Office 2016 earlier this year, this all worked fine.…

8 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • please give the option to remove autosave from excel

there should be a way to turn auto save off permanently. it saving over files if I forget to manually turn it off. this is becoming a problem and a feature that I don't particular need or want. please set up the feature so you can remove it permanently not just turn it off on individual work sheets. thanks

5 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 148 149
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base