Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. To make it possible to determine the bounds of a chart by cells for upper and lower

To make it possible to determine the bounds of a chart by cells for upper and lower levels. Most charts will look more interesting when lower bound is always zero. Especially advantageous when input for charts will differ (stocks)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Can we enable draw with single mouse click or auto start after each click instead of keep pressing mouse button to draw.

Pen Draw requires to keep pressing mouse button which make it difficult especially for the new users. If we enable draw with mouse click and keep moving mouse only then drawing will be more easy.

Also we can pause drawing after each click for a short while to reduce clicks and stop drawing activity with right click or Escape button.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. When adding a new screen - don't reset the view.

Whenever I open a document in a second screen (so two screens, one document), it resets the frozen panes and zoom function.
    I get that you would want to be able to change this, but I think it would be better to let the default function be the current settings.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Power Query Auto Update

When we use Power Query in a workbook where the data is in the same workbook, we need to update the query every time a change has been made on the soruce data. An automatik update of the query should be implemented whenever the source data is updated. We can do it by a simple macro however adding a macro everytime you use power query is a non value added effort.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please do not change graphics/display/icons with updates. Creates additional work for people with disabilities

Our organization recently updated our Office Suite that included major changes to the displays in all of the Office applications. I use Excel almost all day in my job as a data analyst, and I have found it difficult and time consuming to get used to the new displays and icons. I have a brain disease that makes it more difficult for me to learn new things, however I am very fast at computing and setting up data sheets once I have learned to navigate the screens. When the screens and icons are changed, my productivity decreases quite a bit,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Create the ability to change colors of folders and file names.

Create the ability to change colors of folders and file names.Even if the number of colors was limited this would greatly help in organizing information.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Have Excel and word connect to Office Lens automatically

On the insert tab have a button to add from Office Lens. You then take your pic, and it is inserted automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to add upper and lower conformance/control limits to graphs without having to create new tables/colums/rows of data.

Ability to add upper and lower conformance limits to graphs without having to create new tables/colums/rows of data.

in the example that i have provided. We should not have to create columns C and D for the upper and lower conformance limits.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Save custom shapes for use in multiple files.

Have a "My Shapes" area available to save custom shapes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Office background & Office Theme should be more choice with colorful & more atractive...

MS office 2016 is an outstanding. but little need improvement in Office background & Office Theme should be more choice with colorful & more attractive. Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add option for drop drown arrow on list to be permanent

When creating a list, (Data Validation>List), I suggest an option or checkbox to make the drop down arrow permanently visible. It would make it easier to signal to clients that they have an input option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Align Shapes like Powerpoint

Have the alignment arrows appear as they do in Powerpoint so when moving a shape on a sheet, the dotted line appears when shape is aligned or locked to another shape.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. change size and spacing of icons and fonts in ribbons

I do not currently like what appears to be spacing for a cheap android touch app instead of a compact and useable spacing for mouse and keyboard. Attached are what I mean. I cannot readily find in the options or by googling any means of changing this layout issue which reduces useable space and is frankly an eyesore on a business and productivity application. Seriously, get your stuff together Microsoft.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make it possible to export Whiskerplots as any other type of plot.

Make it possible to export Whiskerplots as any other type of plot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Diverging Bar Charts

Hi @Office, it has become common to describe Likert scale survey data as a diverging bar chart as it better visualizes the central tendencies of the data. Myself and some other researchers have been "hacking" it using these guides as references: http://stephanieevergreen.com/diverging-stacked-bars/ and http://peltiertech.com/diverging-stacked-bar-charts/ … . It would be amazing not to have to rely upon such time-consuming / expensive techniques though (more so if there is a neutral category) :)

Attached is an example of what I have made through the convoluted processes described above.

Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. PlotBox chart

It seems that the PlotBox standard charting does not work as needed; also when I use "Select data" in a BoxPlot chart the dialog does not work properly.
    1. If I select a table with headers, all the Boxplots are clustered together and can identify them only with the legend
    2. I cannot have the Horizontal (category) Axis Labels working: if I select the headers on the X axis I only get one category
    3. For my use I would need to combine the boxplots with a line for a single country but so far it does not seem possible…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. View the data in a large graph by more easily shifting ranges and scales

A common task is to scan a large x-y graph for interesting changes in y. I now do this by manually changing the axis limits. This is tedious when a function shows many interesting regions and many scales of variation. The problem is akin to panning and zooming a photo. Excel should have the equivalent functionality when looking at plots of numbers. To a degree, this functionality is already there with View>Zoom, but this is simply a graphical zoom, roughly equivalent to a "digital" zoom on a camera. Better to have an "optical" zoom, with panning by dragging the mouse.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1040 Tax forms in PDF form can be coped to excel as a picture. I need a way to cut holes (boxes) to access various Excel cells to make activ

1040 Tax forms in PDF form can be coped to excel as a picture. I need a way to cut holes (boxes) to access various Excel cells to make active forms (adding subtracting, multiplying and other functions) would then be available.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base