Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make it possible to export Whiskerplots as any other type of plot.

Make it possible to export Whiskerplots as any other type of plot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Diverging Bar Charts

Hi @Office, it has become common to describe Likert scale survey data as a diverging bar chart as it better visualizes the central tendencies of the data. Myself and some other researchers have been "hacking" it using these guides as references: http://stephanieevergreen.com/diverging-stacked-bars/ and http://peltiertech.com/diverging-stacked-bar-charts/ … . It would be amazing not to have to rely upon such time-consuming / expensive techniques though (more so if there is a neutral category) :)

Attached is an example of what I have made through the convoluted processes described above.

Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. PlotBox chart

It seems that the PlotBox standard charting does not work as needed; also when I use "Select data" in a BoxPlot chart the dialog does not work properly.
    1. If I select a table with headers, all the Boxplots are clustered together and can identify them only with the legend
    2. I cannot have the Horizontal (category) Axis Labels working: if I select the headers on the X axis I only get one category
    3. For my use I would need to combine the boxplots with a line for a single country but so far it does not seem possible…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. View the data in a large graph by more easily shifting ranges and scales

A common task is to scan a large x-y graph for interesting changes in y. I now do this by manually changing the axis limits. This is tedious when a function shows many interesting regions and many scales of variation. The problem is akin to panning and zooming a photo. Excel should have the equivalent functionality when looking at plots of numbers. To a degree, this functionality is already there with View>Zoom, but this is simply a graphical zoom, roughly equivalent to a "digital" zoom on a camera. Better to have an "optical" zoom, with panning by dragging the mouse.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1040 Tax forms in PDF form can be coped to excel as a picture. I need a way to cut holes (boxes) to access various Excel cells to make activ

1040 Tax forms in PDF form can be coped to excel as a picture. I need a way to cut holes (boxes) to access various Excel cells to make active forms (adding subtracting, multiplying and other functions) would then be available.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. variance charts

Pls provide standard variance charts.

Bars & Columns as well as "pin"-charts

https://rbranger.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/07_variances.jpg

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release.

Scott [MSFT]

7. allow to make the background of a sheet transparent (except the tab)

this would be a simple way to create multilayer drawings with shapes
    reasons for this idea:
    -an employee or executive has usually no time to learn Illustrator.
    - in the beginning, spreadsheet programs were a kind of Lego allowing a user to build a simple or very complex model easily.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our next planning cycle. Please continue to vote on this idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Anti-aliasing on diagonal borders

Diagonal borders are common to X out a cell. The problem is that you can see the jaggedness as the borders' edges step through each row and column of pixels. Most other visuals in Excel are smoothed out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Power Query Auto Update

When we use Power Query in a workbook where the data is in the same workbook, we need to update the query every time a change has been made on the soruce data. An automatik update of the query should be implemented whenever the source data is updated. We can do it by a simple macro however adding a macro everytime you use power query is a non value added effort.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. When you give an instruction show where the icon is. There is no point of reference.

Think in terms of the customer being totally unfamiliar and could be a casual user.

Before you release something new, have folk who don't know whatever you are done try to follow your instructions.

I am using a large amount of my allotted life time that is remaining to do a simple task that was once easy on Windows 7.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Problem nach neustem Update mit der Bildschirmlupe

Nach dem letzten Update funktioniert Excel nicht mehr mit der Bildschirmlupe von Windows. Es funktioniert im normalen Zustand, aber sobald ich die Lupe benutze, kann ich nichts eintragen oder bearbeiten. Excel stürzt einfach ab und das Program schließt. Wenn ich es wieder öffne, ist mein Dokument in der Wiederherstellungsleiste drin.
    Wie gesagt, es gibt das Problem nur mit der Lupe. Ohne Lupe funktioniert alles gut.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow export of box and whisker plot as vector

Other graphs can be copy-pasted as vectors into programs such as Illustrator, but box plots only paste as rasters. I want to be able to edit the plot in Illustrator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Save and undo button too close (Layout issue)

One can easily click the undo button then hit save without noticing. Please do consider total redesign lol, or something else.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Sketchy to the chart elements outline.

I think sketchy edges in Word is quite useful for document presentation. It would be awesome to have sketchy edges for the outline of chart elements.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow Textbox to use a dynamic cell reference that auto-includes worksheet name.

Assigning a cell link to a text box is easy, Highlight the text box then in the formula bar, simply enter =A1 or whatever cell you like.
    But when cutting and pasting the text box to a different worksheet, the original cell link reference remains in place. Instead of changing the reference to something like: ='origsheet'!A1 the =A1 value remains as the linked cell. In other words the text box will get its value from the sheet where the text box was pasted, rather than from the source sheet.

As a fix, I use a named range.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please do not change graphics/display/icons with updates. Creates additional work for people with disabilities

Our organization recently updated our Office Suite that included major changes to the displays in all of the Office applications. I use Excel almost all day in my job as a data analyst, and I have found it difficult and time consuming to get used to the new displays and icons. I have a brain disease that makes it more difficult for me to learn new things, however I am very fast at computing and setting up data sheets once I have learned to navigate the screens. When the screens and icons are changed, my productivity decreases quite a bit,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Would it be possible to resize the icons on the ribbon?

The ribbon is a good idea, however the icons are way too large when I use Excel on the laptop. Would it be possible to have a Small / Medium / Large / X Large option, a bit like when viewing files in Windows Explorer?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add Ability To Rename Subgroups In Selection Pane

While Top most groups and innermost objects can be renamed, sit is not possible to rename a subgroup of shapes. Please add the ability to rename subgroups in the selection pane, without the need to first ungroup the shape.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 最初から、選択セルをもっと目立たせる為の機能を付けて欲しい!

選択セルが緑のラインで縁取られているが、正直、目立たない!
    見落としてしまうので、もっと目立つように、何か工夫はできないのか。
    上部と左側の、枠外セル番号に赤い色が乗る+選択セルに赤系の色が薄く乗る、など、目立たせる工夫をして欲しい。

他でも以前から議論されているようですが、最初からそういう機能を組んで頂けると助かります。

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. flow image graphique excel mail

Bonjour
    Je cherche a sécuriser la génération d 'un graphique.
    Depuis un flow et un form qui me permet de saisir des paramètres je voudrais recevoir un mail avec l'image du graphique.
    Je sais recevoir le fichier excel
    je sais recevoir des informations texte ou numérique à l'intérieur du graphique mais pas l'image du graphie.
    je sais qu'il est possible dans SharePoint d'afficher que le graphique d'un fichier donc comment combiner les 2.
    Merci d'avance pour votre aide.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base