Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Zooming changes the size of shapes. E.g. a circle turns into a slight oval as the zoom factor is not 100%, 200%, 300%, or 400%.

When you create a shape and change the zoom factor it appears that height and width vary. This makes it difficult to create exact graphics.

Also, when the angle is not 0°, the zoom factor changes the position of shapes. When two shapes at say 45° are exactly in line with 100% zoom, they are changeing to steps at different zoom factors.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change all the gray fonts back to black

The right click menus are hard to read. But what especially gets me is the "quick numbers" on the bottom right being in gray - those are unique numbers to every situation so you have to really be able to read them well (not just memorize where "insert" is on the right click menu, but you actually need to SEE these numbers). None of the color scheme options gives us what we had, which used to be LEGIBLE. Please go ahead and make an update now rather than waiting until the next version. Please oh please oh please. It just…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make the window adjustable when analysing dependents (excel)

When tracking dependents and precedents, the window is not adjustable. Thus, you cannot not see the entire source of each line. This would be a far better tool, if the window could be adjusted manually.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add More Shapes

I'd like to see the ability to draw a shape and then save it to the available shape file (user defined shape / reusable)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. scale and units

Please provide tools for insert objects, shapes and drawings to be to scale, for example inserting a line with or without an arrow head to be to scale, 10 feet or 15 feet or 6 inches or 123 inches long ...etc.

Similarly ad a tool to work as scale for VBA

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please add dark theme to Microsoft VBA

I think it's a great feature if you could let the user to choose between light theme and dark theme on the vba editor, I've been doing programming for years and white theme editors just hurt and tire my eyes, so it'd be great if we as users can have a dark theme option as well, thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Create the ability to change colors of folders and file names.

Create the ability to change colors of folders and file names.Even if the number of colors was limited this would greatly help in organizing information.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ribbon chart

Add a sorted stacked column chart, like the ribbon chart in Power BI, in Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Text Wrapping around Pictures

It would be great if the ability to arrange text around pictures which is available in Word was also available in Excel.
    Given you're working with a Spreadsheet, it obviously limits what you'd be able to do, but even the capability to move pictures (and graphs, etc) behind the content of the actual spreadsheet would be helpful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Charts inverted colors

Could you please add "Inverted colors" in charts please.
    I have Office 2016 and I cannot find this option in any type of charts or at least in most important ones (Column, Line, Area, Bar, Scatter, Histogram). The inverted colors should be customizable of course, not just white color for negative values like in Pivot charts or other Excel versions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Have Excel and word connect to Office Lens automatically

On the insert tab have a button to add from Office Lens. You then take your pic, and it is inserted automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to add upper and lower conformance/control limits to graphs without having to create new tables/colums/rows of data.

Ability to add upper and lower conformance limits to graphs without having to create new tables/colums/rows of data.

in the example that i have provided. We should not have to create columns C and D for the upper and lower conformance limits.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Office background & Office Theme should be more choice with colorful & more atractive...

MS office 2016 is an outstanding. but little need improvement in Office background & Office Theme should be more choice with colorful & more attractive. Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add option for drop drown arrow on list to be permanent

When creating a list, (Data Validation>List), I suggest an option or checkbox to make the drop down arrow permanently visible. It would make it easier to signal to clients that they have an input option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Align Shapes like Powerpoint

Have the alignment arrows appear as they do in Powerpoint so when moving a shape on a sheet, the dotted line appears when shape is aligned or locked to another shape.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow pictures/images/graphic as a pop up when hovered over. Link images. Embed Images

Similar to the current comments, allow images the ability to pop up when hovering over a cell.

This would have a similar problem to comments however; comments remained fixed to cell even if data is moved.

It would be great if cell images also moved with the cell data.

For example; I have created a spread sheet that will import data from my invoice and place that data into a stock list. I would very much like images to be linked and embed to an item code or item description, and for those linked images to move with my stock…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Inserting Multiple Pictures is Broken - only one picture treated as picture

If you insert multiple pictures all at once into Excel, only the last inserted picture is treated as a picture (e.g. the Picture Tools tab is activated). All the other pictures are treated as objects, and some options are not available (such as the Picture tools tab and the contextual menu item "Size and Properties").

Furthermore "picture pictures" can only be grouped with other "picture pictures", and "picture objects" can only be grouped with other "picture objects". Neither can be grouped with drawing objects.

See attachment "PictureObject.PNG" for a picture that was treated as an object, and attachment "PicturePicture.PNG" for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make info on Statusbar visible! If the status bar is green, show the text in white.

In Excel 2016 (stand alone) I can't use the info on the status bar anymore. Black text on dark green ins't readable!
    So: Make info on Statusbar visible!
    If the status bar is green, show the text in white (Like this header!)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Excel and Word drawing program

In the drawing program in Excel and Word when Edit Points is selected allow position adjustment of points by using the up-down and left-right keys. It is often difficult to position the points accurately by manual means even when full zoom is used.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. change size and spacing of icons and fonts in ribbons

I do not currently like what appears to be spacing for a cheap android touch app instead of a compact and useable spacing for mouse and keyboard. Attached are what I mean. I cannot readily find in the options or by googling any means of changing this layout issue which reduces useable space and is frankly an eyesore on a business and productivity application. Seriously, get your stuff together Microsoft.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base