Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. X-axis format for dates

If you have a graph that has an x-axis containing dates, when you try to format that axis, the min and max look like this: 42153 and 42369 that I take correspond to the number of days elapsed since "the big bang or something I guess". It would be nice if we could actually have for these a date picker so that I can select min at "10th Nov 2017" and max at "29th Jan 2018"

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Crosshair display

A simple display option to easily navigate around larger spreadsheets.

The entire row & column of the cell selected would be highlighted in some way.

I've used the following macro to achieve this:

Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
    'Update 20140318
    Static xRow
    Static xColumn
    If xColumn <> "" Then
    With Columns(xColumn).Interior
    .ColorIndex = xlNone
    End With
    With Rows(xRow).Interior
    .ColorIndex = xlNone
    End With
    End If
    pRow = Selection.Row
    pColumn = Selection.Column
    xRow = pRow
    xColumn = pColumn
    With Columns(pColumn).Interior
    .ColorIndex = 6
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    End With
    With Rows(pRow).Interior
    .ColorIndex = 6
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    End With
    End Sub

The…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Cross-hairs

It would be extremely useful to have a button that would toggle cross-hairs on and off like in AutoCAD. I often find it is difficult to tell where cells are in relation to one another in a large spreadsheet. If a faint line ran horizontally and vertically through all of the cells, this would be a huge usability aid. Have a default color, dashed dotted, etc, but give the user the ability to change this.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Use a contrasting colour to indicate hidden rows/columns

It is very hard to notice where hidden columns are at a quick glance. The boundary between the column labels where the hidden column is doesn't stand out. Please make this boundary stand out more, perhaps by using a contrasting colour. The same goes for hidden rows. This would help avoid silly mistakes involving deletion of row/column ranges that appear to be empty.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Histogram display needs improvement

Histogram display is not very useful in its current form. It needs to support more labeling options for the horizontal axis; needs to be integrated into Quick Analysis and PivotCharts; needs to support the option to display user-defined vertical lines (what are commonly called targets or spec limits).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Calendar

A great feature could be, User being be able to convert an existing table with date field into calendar view like in sharepoint

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Insert an image directly from a scanner

In order to insert an image from hardcopy material it is necessary to scan the material to a graphic file and then insert the graphic. It would save time and effort to insert an image directly from a scanner. For example, I scan invoices and cash register receipts from individuals to insert into a voucher for authorization to cut a check for reimbursement to the individual.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an interesting idea. We will definitely consider it while planning our next round of features. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Spellcheck should include text in linked pictures from other sheets

My clients produce master spreadsheets containing sections of text as linked pictures from other sheets in the same files. After processing the master spreadsheet, I do a spellcheck, which tells me "Spellcheck complete. You're good to go." But I'm not really, because spellcheck doesn't look at those linked pictures. I only just discovered this. Now I have to spellcheck each sheet separately. Either make spellcheck work properly, or at least provide a warning of what hasn't been checked.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our planning for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

9. Eyedropper fill

Excel does not seem to have the eyedropper fill. PowerPoint on the same Office licence does.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add more visual variety to the Ribbon

Excel 2010 got this part right. The Ribbon was slightly darker at the bottom than at the top. Selected icons and icons that were hovered over were orange, which contrasted well against the background. Most of the icons had shadows under them. The Formula Bar contrasted against the Ribbon above and the sheet below.

This visual variety made Excel 2010 look more inviting than Excel 2016. Microsoft Excel is already a boring program to use and a difficult program to learn, and the new flat design and low contrast only make Excel 2016 look boring too.

Please add more visual…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Preview Office Background & Office Theme

When I choose an Office Background or Office Theme from File > Options, I do not know what it looks like until I click OK. This is a pain if I am trying out each one to see which one looks best.

My suggestion is that once an option is chosen from the dropdown menus, the GUI should update immediately. The changes should only be permanent if the user chooses OK.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Screen does not update while running a macro in Excel 2013

In Excel 2010, you could control whether or not the screen updates while a macro is running by setting Application.ScreenUpdating to True or False. In Excel 2013, screen updating cannot be controlled in this way.

Screen updating is especially important for long-running macros (e.g. interactive macros, long calculations) to let the user know that the macro is still running and that Excel has not crashed.

Here are some links to people who have also noticed this problem:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?791577-Application-ScreenUpdating-not-working-in-Excel-2013
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25173393/screenupdating-doesnt-update-screen-in-excel-2013
    https://www.reddit.com/r/excel/comments/3hhgi4/applicationscreenupdating_is_resetting_in_excel/
    http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/746844-application-screenupdating-%3D-false-creating-problems-excel-2013-a.html

To test the difference in screen updating, try running the one-and-only macros in these files:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/o8msljzsnn1ocjl/HP.xlsb
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/20272ww1hkcos0g/ECG_Demo_%28no_grid_lines_or_double_buffering%29.xlsb

The first…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Graph axis labels should support subtext and supertext

In the picture, the graph axis titles come from O15:17

The cells have supertext in them, but this does not transfer to the axis labels

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. bar graph overlaping

It is a nightmare when you try to plot a bar graph with secondary axis... everything overlaps and you need to insert invisible data to avoid the overlap... is really complicated and time consuming, please remove that automatic overlapping when you have primary and secondary axis in a bar graph!!!! a simple graph like the attached one took me hours... and is not even perfect... the size of the bars is not exactly the same, etc etc

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enable the creation of a gradient header/footer/background that can print all the way to the edges of the paper.

Enable the creation of a gradient header/footer/background that can print all the way to the edges of the paper. Or just let Word and Excel play together and share a file format.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. A better dark mode

A better dark mode. The icons should change as well or something.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Resizing Pie Charts' Label Boxes

Hello,
    It would be great to be able to resize at wish the label boxes in pie charts (without having to resize the whole chart/plot area or to change the font's characteristics).
    Thank you!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. New color border when cutting

When using both CTRL+C and CTRL+X, the highlighted cells have an animated green border to show what you will be copying or cutting. I think that the cutting border should be a DIFFERENT color, to make it easier to differentiate whether or not you are about to cut or copy. Too frequently, I make the mistake of hitting ctrl+x when I meant to hit ctrl+c, accidentally cutting the cells instead of copying them.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 File name in bold and highlighted on top of file.

Note I am a long term user of MS Office, low vision for the last 5 years, but still working in a demanding analytical job. Many improvements for low vision, help everyone.

1. Upgrade the treatment of the file name. It is the passport in hostile waters - the only thing that provides stability. Consider the situation where text or numerical results are being compared from similar files all open at once. Specifics:
    a. File name at top of open file: Put in bold with highlight.
    b. In tray at bottom of screen, file name should be in bold black…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow setting default properties for Chart Area

By default Chart Area property is set to "Move and Size with cells".
    Every time i create a graph, i have to change the property value manually (e.g. select "Move but don't size with cells).

Why not allow a user setting a default property value in Options?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base