Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add option for drop drown arrow on list to be permanent

When creating a list, (Data Validation>List), I suggest an option or checkbox to make the drop down arrow permanently visible. It would make it easier to signal to clients that they have an input option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. in a graph why no an option for dates at the botom with a 0 line where ever 0 falls.

Whith a time series graph where the data varied from positive to negative Excel puts the dates under the zero line and one canot read the data well and it looks a mess so I change the axis line so that it is at some large negative number and the dates go to the bottom, but then he zero line vanishes and I either have to clutter up my graph with a lot of horizontal lines or draw one in by hand. Why not have a zero line optioption?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Link copied graph with copied data not the original graph data

I have created a graph for company A using data for company A.
    I want to create the same graph for company B by copying the Company A graph and data and then linking the data to Company B figures. But when I copy the Company A graph and the data (in one copy-paste operation), the new graph is linked to the original Company A data. I then have to manually amend all the graph links which is time consuming. I think it would be great if in this case (one copy-paste operation: graph AND data) that the copied graph…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Align Shapes like Powerpoint

Have the alignment arrows appear as they do in Powerpoint so when moving a shape on a sheet, the dotted line appears when shape is aligned or locked to another shape.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Could you make an "express" version of Excel that would be burdened down with all the graphics options? 365 is slower than 2007.

I upgraded to office 365 from 2007 and I've been using it for a couple months but I find that the new version is slower and more laborious than the 2007 was. I'm wondering if you could make an "express" version that would not have all the screen tips and graphics but would be quicker to use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Editing cell ranges in graphing is not intuitive

When editing cell ranges in graphing you can't use arrow keys to move without messing up the range when trying to change the column or row being graphed. This is something I will often do when using a graph as a template. It just adds a step with the mouse, but if I could just arrow over, it would be quicker.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. chart black and white

In chart tools, the most commonly used color scheme for technical presentations of experimental data are black and white charts with differing markers. This used to be available in the old versions of MS Excel probably 2010 and older but was dropped to give way to colored plots. However, most academic journals still prefer a black and white plot with a legend for the different markers used.

This can be manually made but it is very tedious when working with a large amount of data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Insert tolerance curves to the graphical trend line

On your graphic, when you add the trend line, it can be very useful to have the possibility to add the upper limit and lower limit lines. For example, the X axis contains the number of hours due to projects, and the Y axis contains the projects' price. It would be very useful to implement limits (up and down) to the trend line. Then, you can have an estimation of the number of hours you can use for a project of a certain price, and vice versa.
    You fix the percentage of gap you want (Exemple +/- 10%) and it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Graphics rendering for printing (bug fixes)

A few years ago I found a reproducible bug when putting a graphic (company logo) in the upper right corner of each 'printed' sheet of a worksheet (each column was set to be the width of one printed sheet). For reasons to extensive to discuss here, page header was not a good option. The graphic was moved (left/right) on page 1 only, subsequent pages were fine. Our only solution was to manually adjust the logo on page 1 until the physical print looked fine. This was all at 100% no zoom. IIRC, an Excel MVP was able to repro as…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. histogram - get the axis correctly labelled

The new histogram feature is great and long overdue. It is a shame that it is necessary to then manually edit the axis label in paint. A histogram is a plot of continuous data it should not have category labels but a continuous scale. See for example:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/statistics/representingdata3hirev3.shtml
    (For you US bods GCSE is the 16+ standard exams taken in the UK)
    Also:
    http://www.uvm.edu/~rsingle/other/JMP-intro/default8.html

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/sas/sas_histograms.htm

You will notice that in all of these articles the histogramhas a continuous scale. If we put a smoothing spline over it - it must have a continous scale.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1497539/fitting-a-density-curve-to-a-histogram-in-r

I lecture at a University…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. clipboard display has too much space around entries - twice as many terms could/should be accessed if formatted like a spreadsheet column

Clipboard display has too much space around entries - twice as many terms could/should be accessed - or at least 24 could be visible without blocking spreadsheet if clipboard were formatted like a spreadsheet column instead of a template.
    And way more items should be available to copy and should be easily saved and moved as a group.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Inserting Multiple Pictures is Broken - only one picture treated as picture

If you insert multiple pictures all at once into Excel, only the last inserted picture is treated as a picture (e.g. the Picture Tools tab is activated). All the other pictures are treated as objects, and some options are not available (such as the Picture tools tab and the contextual menu item "Size and Properties").

Furthermore "picture pictures" can only be grouped with other "picture pictures", and "picture objects" can only be grouped with other "picture objects". Neither can be grouped with drawing objects.

See attachment "PictureObject.PNG" for a picture that was treated as an object, and attachment "PicturePicture.PNG" for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Position exact coordinate of a text box.

In the Excel we need to position a text box but there is exact coordinate of box postioning. Add in a feature so that exact position put in.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Shapes are distorted when printed. The height-width ratio on the printout is smaller than on screen view.

A circle is printed as an oval, a sqaure is printed as rectangle, always loosing height in the printout. Seem sto be influences by the screen resolution used. When I copy to WORD and print then there is no such distortion.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Change all the gray fonts back to black

The right click menus are hard to read. But what especially gets me is the "quick numbers" on the bottom right being in gray - those are unique numbers to every situation so you have to really be able to read them well (not just memorize where "insert" is on the right click menu, but you actually need to SEE these numbers). None of the color scheme options gives us what we had, which used to be LEGIBLE. Please go ahead and make an update now rather than waiting until the next version. Please oh please oh please. It just…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make info on Statusbar visible! If the status bar is green, show the text in white.

In Excel 2016 (stand alone) I can't use the info on the status bar anymore. Black text on dark green ins't readable!
    So: Make info on Statusbar visible!
    If the status bar is green, show the text in white (Like this header!)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Excel and Word drawing program

In the drawing program in Excel and Word when Edit Points is selected allow position adjustment of points by using the up-down and left-right keys. It is often difficult to position the points accurately by manual means even when full zoom is used.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)