Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatic Calculation Icon - Quick Access Toolbar

I include the Automatic and Manual calculation options in my toolbar. It helps to have a quick way to switch back and forth and lets me know immediately which mode I am in when I grab a file from a colleague. This feature still exists but they are now identical buttons. Can one button have an A and the other an M or something to immediately identify between the two?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow the ability to color text, not just the whole cell. This function will allow excel to do what Word does with a table!

Allow excel to highlight text just as word with a table does! With excel I am doing a literature review for college and to do it in Word, I have to create three documents and stack them next to each other, a real pain in the a$$. With excel, I can fit all authors on one excel, but I cannot color code with highlighter when I have used the source in my final paper, not can I color highlight different talking points. I'm color blind, so the coloring of the text really does nothing for me. PLEASE fix this!!(Excel, not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Have Excel and word connect to Office Lens automatically

On the insert tab have a button to add from Office Lens. You then take your pic, and it is inserted automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. A better dark mode

A better dark mode. The icons should change as well or something.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bug in the color function with scatter graphs

When I have a scatter graph with two or more variables (A & B) and I make some change to A, often the color of B will change to be the same as the color of A. II then try and change B back to its original color, A will change to the color that I change B to. I have to save the file, close it, and open it again in order to change A back to its original color. This happens all the time -- normally, I'd say -- when I make a change in one of the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Additional Axis on 3D histrogram

Dear Excel's Developer Command! Please consider the possiblity for Additional Axis of argument on 3D histrogram. In some tasks this need apperances. Unfortunately existing today variants permit add other axis only for combined 2D Histrogram.

With best wishes, Marsel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Graph Data Labels Disappearing when Filtered

Good Morning,
    Below is a post I put into the Microsoft Community Page on an Issue I am having with graphing. The Moderator was able to re-create the issue and told me to post here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/db1ebc99-3e68-4aa2-aeb7-1903fa3d9909

The issue is When you have a bar graph by month, and want to filter out older months, for every month you uncheck, you loose a data label in the later months on the graphs.

I would like to see this issue fixed in a patch if possible. It would prevent me from going back to Excel13 to get my graphs printed each month.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Improvement of Ribbon bar collapse behavior

Collapsing the ribbon bar from the right hand side to the left is not always preferred, despite the design goal being to put less frequently used items on the right. The fix: when the ribbon is wider than the current window, use small scroll buttons to shift the "active" portion of the ribbon left or right (collapsing the ribbon on the other side).

This would make work-flows which use rely on either side easier without sacrificing real estate or functionality, and make the ribbon more extensible without changing its essential nature or look and feel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. I'm using Excel to create a parametric design and have hit the upper limit on the number of lines that can be drawn, namely 255.

It would be great if the upper limit to the number of lines that can be drawn in one graph was increased from 255 (in the version I have) to, say, 500.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. ROAD STRIP CHART

CAN THERE BE MADE A GRAPHICAL PRESENTATION FOR EACH ROW OF THIS EXCEL ON A SINGLE GRAPH, DESCRIPTION COLUMN IS LAYER,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Resizing Pie Charts' Label Boxes

Hello,
    It would be great to be able to resize at wish the label boxes in pie charts (without having to resize the whole chart/plot area or to change the font's characteristics).
    Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Don't have fill override borders by default

So as far as I know fill removes borders by default and their isn't an option to change that

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. How about more themes and backgrounds for office 2016?

How about more themes and backgrounds for office 2016? A selection of only 3 is very weak. Hello, Microsoft....are you listening?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add a lock symbol on the protected sheet tab

A small lock symbol on the protected sheet tab would be a little addition but visually important!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide an ortho feature for inserting straight lines that are vertical and horizontal

We combine spreadsheet calculations and graphics on the same worksheet. Provide an orthogonal line function (insert > shapes > line) like in AutoCad to make it easier to draw lines that are perfectly horizontal and vertical. As it is it is very difficult to draw vertical and horizontal lines.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. copy as picture fails when you increase the size the apps in Windows 10

In Windows 10, when you go to display settings and increase the size of text, apps and other items to let's say 150% (sometimes it happens with 125% as well), and you select a range in Excel and use the copy as picture function, it copies more than what's selected. Really annoying, please fix!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Save custom shapes for use in multiple files.

Have a "My Shapes" area available to save custom shapes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Userform resizing bug in Excel 2016

In Excel 2016, if the userform size is modified with vba codes during initializing, the the visual size differences are approximately 7 twips smaller (top, left, height, width) than actual assigned size.

By testing and comparing userform size with Excel 2013 and 2016.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. To reinstate the auto size function on Excel chart after manually resizing the plot area

After I manually resize the plot area, the function is gone. For example, the plot area was able to auto fit the chart area after adding/removing a chart title if the plot are was not resized. After manually resize the plot area, the size of plot area will stay the same, instead of instead of auto-resizing the plot area to fit the chart area.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)