Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Workspace Layout

Please bring back the workspace layout. The separate windows just makes things messier.

I just started using Excel 2013. I don't know anything about Excel 2016... but the previous version that I used had a "workspace"... all of the files that I opened would open in that workspace and I could arrange them accordingly. A HUGE feature was being able to align the tabs in a manner than I needed to align them.

I work with about 7 or 8 different Excel files, referencing them at various times throughout my day. This new layout that opens everything in separate windows…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow old graphs to be refreshed/updated to the latest renderings

I have graphs from over 16 years ago that i still use (long-term data collation). The graphs do not update to new graphics (which are a S**t-tonne better). Having an option to update the graphs without losing all the series formatting and data processing would be great! I just did it the long way round for one graph but don't fancy doing it for the other 7. (this may not be an issue with all graph types but for area graphs it really is).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Retain chart formatting after column references are reassigned.

In previous version, the user was able to format ONE chart and then make multiple charts with the same formatting by changing the column references. In 2016, when you change the column references, the line color changes. If you apply a template, it removes axis titles, scale, and font sizing. It has been a major step backwards in terms of efficiency!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Update Linked Pictures (formerly called the Camera tool)

Linked pictures give us the ability to switch figures between charts and tables instantly. They allow formulas to determine which icon to display. They allow us to set up visual alerts. And a lot more.

But linked pictures have a low resolution, which causes small text to be jaggy. They don't have a manual calculation mode. They can mess up data validation. And they can become distorted.

Please fix these issues.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix bug - re-sizing objects

I find that some drawing objects are re-sized when printed, so that, for example, a figure that is supposed to be a circle is printed as an ellipse. Occasionally I also find that parts of a drawing (created using Shapes) end up detached from other parts of the same drawing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Integrate Census Tract geographies into map based charts

The maps in Excel now allow for states, zip codes, addresses, counties, cities, and countries.

I work in fair lending analysis for a bank and all of the work that I do is based on the census tract. I have been using latitude and longitude to peg approximate spots on maps to express data, but having the map recognize and shade the borders of a specific census tract would be an amazing enhancement in the clarity of my presentations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Secondary axis title position

This is unimportant but should be fixed.. The image under Chart tools/ Design/ Add Chart Element/ Axis Titles / Secondary Vertical shows a horizontal position. It actually does show in the vertical position if chosen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I would like to suggest adding a new function which is trace or analyse graphs or curves plotted in Excel

The function should be similar to that of a scientific calculator that can analyse the curves or whatever graphs plotted and trace the points on the graph such as a point on the best fit line.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I would like to suggest adding a new function which is trace or analyse graphs or curves plotted in Excel

The function should be similar to that of a scientific calculator that can analyse the curves or whatever graphs plotted and trace the points on the graph such as a point on the best fit line.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Financial graphs

Hello, I am an user of Bloomberg, Tradingview and of course Excel.
    Most of my work involves data analysis and data presentation.
    While there are other software, I mostly use Excel and some things I noticed in financial software that I think would bring value to Excel graphs are:
    - In Format Trendline could you add an Average line option. This will draw an horizontal like that will represent the Average line of the data set. Some options for this could be to use simple average or other type (geometrical, exponential,weighted). Another option could be to specify to calculate Average…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Charts inverted colors

Could you please add "Inverted colors" in charts please.
    I have Office 2016 and I cannot find this option in any type of charts or at least in most important ones (Column, Line, Area, Bar, Scatter, Histogram). The inverted colors should be customizable of course, not just white color for negative values like in Pivot charts or other Excel versions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Custom factory layout and maping data to layout

Excel can give option to mark layout boundaries on factory/place picture and map data on the layout. Similar to piloting data on world map

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please create a turn off button in "Draw". I cannot turn it off.

I use the "draw" button, for brief shop drawings with my work, now I cannot turn it off. Please create a full population of tools from start to finish so the end user can manipulate the tools on user end without having to make a gigantic search for it. Stop designing stuff only with the engineers ideas in mind. All software engineers should keep their customers in mind as they design stuff.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Embed objects and graphics alongside text in a cell

Embed objects and graphics alongside text in a cell so that the object or graphic can move with the text as edits or links are made to that cell. Also, enable embedded objects and graphics to be defined and changed within the text according to logic arguments.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Eyedropper fill

Excel does not seem to have the eyedropper fill. PowerPoint on the same Office licence does.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Insertion of a picture in a cell comment box

It would be nice to be able to insert a picture in a cell comment box. Currently text is all that is available. For instance, a picture of a part that is being described in a cell. The comment would show up when the pointer is on the cell like the text is now.

Thanks

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. histogram - get the axis correctly labelled

The new histogram feature is great and long overdue. It is a shame that it is necessary to then manually edit the axis label in paint. A histogram is a plot of continuous data it should not have category labels but a continuous scale. See for example:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/statistics/representingdata3hirev3.shtml
    (For you US bods GCSE is the 16+ standard exams taken in the UK)
    Also:
    http://www.uvm.edu/~rsingle/other/JMP-intro/default8.html

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/sas/sas_histograms.htm

You will notice that in all of these articles the histogramhas a continuous scale. If we put a smoothing spline over it - it must have a continous scale.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1497539/fitting-a-density-curve-to-a-histogram-in-r

I lecture at a University…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to add upper and lower conformance/control limits to graphs without having to create new tables/colums/rows of data.

Ability to add upper and lower conformance limits to graphs without having to create new tables/colums/rows of data.

in the example that i have provided. We should not have to create columns C and D for the upper and lower conformance limits.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base