Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I need to be able to include an image/picture/graph -inside- a cell, as cell content and filetype.

This I need so very often! And so great features would be possible.
    Just to name the most obvious, a sortable list, where one column is for representative images. It would be sortable by the other columns and resize the cells accordingly.

I know, that pictures are linked with their left top pixel to the respective cell, but that is way too less to be feasible for all the necessary applications.

11 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Better compatiity with the Surface Pen

With the surface pen, users should be able to write in any cell on a spreadsheet and excel will automatically convert the handwriting to digital numbers or letters when the user starts writing in a different cell (or maybe after users draw a special characters like a check mark or something like that to signal to excel that the user is done writing in that cell.)

8 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Cool idea. We have been exploring a number of pen ideas like this for Excel. We’ll definitely consider this one in our next round of planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
        Scott [MSFT]

• Colour QAT Icons in Dark Themes

Add the colour from the QAT icons available in the 'white' and 'colourful' themes into the QAT icons for 'dark gray' and 'black' themes. This would make the QAT icons much easier to see and access, especially in the 'dark gray' theme.

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Spellcheck should include text in linked pictures from other sheets

My clients produce master spreadsheets containing sections of text as linked pictures from other sheets in the same files. After processing the master spreadsheet, I do a spellcheck, which tells me "Spellcheck complete. You're good to go." But I'm not really, because spellcheck doesn't look at those linked pictures. I only just discovered this. Now I have to spellcheck each sheet separately. Either make spellcheck work properly, or at least provide a warning of what hasn't been checked.

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• More/Custom QAT icons

It would be great if we could get more icon choices for our QAT buttons. Excel already has a huge library of 16px icons, yet we only have access to 20-30 of them. Most of the time none of the icons make sense with the macro task I put up there.

Get rid of the "Green circle" filler icon and at least let us pick our own icon from the available choices. It is a pain having a bunch of green circle buttons in the QAT at once and defeats the purpose of being able to visually pick out a…

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Calendar

A great feature could be, User being be able to convert an existing table with date field into calendar view like in sharepoint

3 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Screen does not update while running a macro in Excel 2013

In Excel 2010, you could control whether or not the screen updates while a macro is running by setting Application.ScreenUpdating to True or False. In Excel 2013, screen updating cannot be controlled in this way.

Screen updating is especially important for long-running macros (e.g. interactive macros, long calculations) to let the user know that the macro is still running and that Excel has not crashed.

Here are some links to people who have also noticed this problem:
                http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?791577-Application-ScreenUpdating-not-working-in-Excel-2013
                http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25173393/screenupdating-doesnt-update-screen-in-excel-2013
                https://www.reddit.com/r/excel/comments/3hhgi4/applicationscreenupdating_is_resetting_in_excel/
                http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/746844-application-screenupdating-%3D-false-creating-problems-excel-2013-a.html

To test the difference in screen updating, try running the one-and-only macros in these files:
                http://www.mediafire.com/view/o8msljzsnn1ocjl/HP.xlsb
                http://www.mediafire.com/view/20272ww1hkcos0g/ECG_Demo_%28no_grid_lines_or_double_buffering%29.xlsb

The first…

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Insert an image directly from a scanner

In order to insert an image from hardcopy material it is necessary to scan the material to a graphic file and then insert the graphic. It would save time and effort to insert an image directly from a scanner. For example, I scan invoices and cash register receipts from individuals to insert into a voucher for authorization to cut a check for reimbursement to the individual.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Default selection color

Would be nice to include the ability to control the default selection color when highlighting cells. This used to be controlled by the windows appearance menu, but it appears that no longer works. I work with a lot of reports that require grey shaded cells and the ability to overlay a different highlight color would be useful.

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add more visual variety to the Ribbon

Excel 2010 got this part right. The Ribbon was slightly darker at the bottom than at the top. Selected icons and icons that were hovered over were orange, which contrasted well against the background. Most of the icons had shadows under them. The Formula Bar contrasted against the Ribbon above and the sheet below.

This visual variety made Excel 2010 look more inviting than Excel 2016. Microsoft Excel is already a boring program to use and a difficult program to learn, and the new flat design and low contrast only make Excel 2016 look boring too.

Please add more visual…

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please improve the candlestick stock chart with multiple charts (candle and line in 1 chart), and dispaly only days with data

The candlestick charts are too basic to have any real value. They are not formatted correctly as they include weekends and holidays. The candles should only be displayed for dates with data. Additionally there should be ability to combine a candlestick chart with a line chart

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• The Colors of Excel Cell headers need to be more clearer or more Contrast

in an excel page to try where exactly the selected cell through headers and rows is difficult you have to move the cursor to identify the selected cell.... but if the headers and rows was highlighted with a different color (than the current) would be great

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• variance charts

Pls provide standard variance charts.

Bars & Columns as well as "pin"-charts

https://rbranger.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/07_variances.jpg

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• scale and units

Please provide tools for insert objects, shapes and drawings to be to scale, for example inserting a line with or without an arrow head to be to scale, 10 feet or 15 feet or 6 inches or 123 inches long ...etc.

Similarly ad a tool to work as scale for VBA

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• & not displaying correctly in PivotTable Connections of Slicers

If you right-click on a Slicer and go to PivotTable Connections (Excel 2010 and below) or Report Connections (Excel 2013 and above), then any & in the sheet name will not display correctly.

If you have a single &, the next character will be underlined.
                                If you have &&, it will show as &.
                                If you have & at the end, it will show as a period.
                                If you have two & separated by at least one character, the 1st one will disappear and the 2nd will show as a period.

Other symbols that are allowed in sheet names seem…

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Embedding all Office applications in just one interface

I am finding the problem to do such simple things since long time ago. I think that all package of Office should be just embedded and included in only one interface, the same as it has been made possible to insert table from Word to Excell or inserting a table of Excell in Word, it
                                  should include for example aswell the picture manager with the features of Power Point where you can crop, group, set on front, change format, size, etc. and with the feature that Publisher contains of making transparent one of the colours of the photo, but also…

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• PlotBox chart

It seems that the PlotBox standard charting does not work as needed; also when I use "Select data" in a BoxPlot chart the dialog does not work properly.
                                    1. If I select a table with headers, all the Boxplots are clustered together and can identify them only with the legend
                                    2. I cannot have the Horizontal (category) Axis Labels working: if I select the headers on the X axis I only get one category
                                    3. For my use I would need to combine the boxplots with a line for a single country but so far it does not seem possible…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Outermost right parenthesis ) miscolouring

When you edit a formula, your parentheses may be temporarily mismatched. If you have more ) than ( and then add ( to balance the parentheses, then the ) of the outermost set of parentheses will have the same colour as the 2nd outermost set rather than be coloured black.

For example, type =()) into the formula bar and add a ( to make it =(()).

This miscolouring can add to the confusion of editing a large formula.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Anti-aliasing on diagonal borders

Diagonal borders are common to X out a cell. The problem is that you can see the jaggedness as the borders' edges step through each row and column of pixels. Most other visuals in Excel are smoothed out.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Preview Office Background & Office Theme

When I choose an Office Background or Office Theme from File > Options, I do not know what it looks like until I click OK. This is a pain if I am trying out each one to see which one looks best.

My suggestion is that once an option is chosen from the dropdown menus, the GUI should update immediately. The changes should only be permanent if the user chooses OK.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
                                          • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
                                          • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
                                          • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
                                          • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
                                          • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.