Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel 365 Calculating thread bug

Every time I enter a value into a cell I get a "calculating 4 threads" notification and the system starts counting up from 1%,2%,3% and so on until 100% and this process takes a hundred seconds and sometimes even more and while it calculates, Excel freezes and I cannot do anything in the file! This results in a task that should take me one hour to do, now taking me 2 hours to do!
    Same file works fine in Office 2016. I have the same issue with 3 PCs which I have tried to use Microsoft 365 Excel. Other Microsoft…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Get rid of There is a problem with the clipboard, but you can still paste your content within this workbook

Excel get stuck on this, when doing a large background calculation. There is no way to interrupt this message popping up.

Get rid of it already!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. EXCEL. You have gotten worse

EXCEL. You have gotten worse. For my job, this is more of an inconvenience than an advantage. Will there be a way to open 2 files in one window? How you do it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. remove pagebreaks

Please provide an option to remove all page breaks from the entire workbook without having to go in to advanced options for each sheet. When not intending to print the file, the page breaks disrupt the comfortable viewing of the file needlessly, and with workbooks that have over a dozen sheets, removing these becomes very time consuming.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Place the last two or three commands used in the right click pop up menu to help users save time

Place the last two or three commands used in the right click pop up menu to help users save time. Example: Using Data>sort once and then being able to switch worksheets and right click anywhere and select Data>sort again without going to the menu at the top. Saves time for commands that don't have shortcut keys.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. The ability to pinpoint performance issues

It would be great to be able to detect which formulas and cells in an Excel sheet require more intense computation than others.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow the Implicit Intersection Operator to be disabled.

Dear Microsoft Office assistants, the Implicit Intersection Operator has rendered 1 of my Excel docs useless. There should be a way to disable this operator. Fortunately for me, I can still open my doc on my older computer. Thanks for your attention.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow the Implicit Intersection Operator to be disabled.

Dear Microsoft Office assistants, the Implicit Intersection Operator has rendered 1 of my Excel docs useless. There should be a way to disable this operator. Fortunately for me, I can still open my doc on my older computer. Thanks for your attention.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. make stable

Make excel stable. Bugs were never repaired since windows xp. It became worse in win-vista, it became worse in win-7/8 and it is still very bad in office 2016. Working with a network in which several people may access the same file when necessary does not work properly in office 2016.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. STOP TRYING TO_FUCKING_GUESS_THE NEXT THING I AM GOING TO DO WITH FORMATING. YOU DO NOT KNOW. STAY THE_FUCK_OUT OF THE WAY.

STOP TRYING TO *** GUESS THE NEXT THING I AM GOING TO DO WITH FORMATING. YOU DO NOT KNOW. STAY THE OUT OF THE WAY.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Extremely slow performance in Excel

The excel performance is really really slow even in a blank file, it taks 12 seconds after you click the enter button.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. GET_YOUR FUCKING_POP_UPS OUT OF MY FACE WHEN I AM WORKING ******* YOU YOU FUCKING_PIECES OF SHIT_AT MICROSOFT.

GETYOUR FUCKINGPOPUPS OUT OF MY FACE WHEN I AM WORKING ******* YOU YOU FUCKINGPIECES OF SHIT_AT MICROSOFT.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Side Scrolling

Some mainstream Microsoft products already support side scrolling inputs from mouse inputs that are capable of doing so with a notable exception of Excel. Ironically, I feel Excel would benefited the most of this feature. I understand that a user can side scroll with the Scroll Lock enabled but if the user already has their hand on the mouse to scroll vertically then it would make sense to allow horizontal scrolling.

Again, this capability is natively there for may popular applications with the notable exception of Excel.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jon

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow grouping/ungrouping in protected sheets

As someone who makes excel reports for people in the company, i must often lock the sheets so people cannot mess it up. However, when you lock a sheet, you are no longer able to group/ungroup without a macro.

Please allow grouping and ungrouping in protected sheets

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Excel Open file in multi instance by default

Hi We need to open a new instance of Excel by deflaut each time we open an excel file. The following solution are not suitable.

you can start a new Excel instance (process) by doing the following:
    run “Excel /x” (without quotes)
    or the DisableMergeInstance regkey because it works only when you open excel first and then open the file. It does not works double clicking on an excel file. Don't give one of those solution (https://excelgorilla.com/excel/general/open-multiple-instances-excel/) as we need it to be by default as Excel 2010 behavior.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel freezes during Microsoft Teams screen-sharing session

I always share Screen instead of Excel app/file.  I've had to quit and re-open Excel spreadsheets too many times during Microsoft Teams screen-sharing sessions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Money in Excel Template

It would be nice to have an auto update function instead of having to manually update

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Change active worksheet with Left hand only

Currently Excel's shortcut for changing worksheets is Ctrl + PgUp / PgDn which works fine but requires taking the right hand off the mouse OR moving the left hand across the keyboard to an awkward position.

It would be nice if Ctrl + Tab / Ctrl + Shift + Tab had the same functionality like in a web browser.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please add Offline Help to Office back again

Online only help is not suitable, as I don't want you to collect more data than necessary. Forcing Online only is a bad habit of software companies!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. GET YOUR FUCKING_UPDATE NOW BANNER OUR OF THE WAY..

GET YOUR FUCKING_UPDATE NOW BANNER OUR OF THE WAY..

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base