Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Be able to protect Power Query with password

Now any user can edit and change Power Query connections, it would be very interesting to be able to protect Power Queries with a password.

Thanks

79 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • If pasted text is auto converted to a date: _save_the_original_text_. Then give it back when text is desired. Don't corrupt data!

When people in computational biology paste a list of gene names sometimes genes like "SPET8" are in the list. The original value is lost, and now the column has corrupt data. (Why did you kill the original value?) Since the column of gene names usually goes off screen and is often in alphabetical order nobody notices this until something breaks in a bizarre way in another person's hands. Scientific papers have had corrupt data for this reason many times, and everyone advises each other to avoid excel for this reason. It might even make a difference for a clinical diagnosis.…

28 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Power Query data from "This Excel Workbook" - Do not break Query if this file name or path changes!

If you want to have a self-contained file where your data is entered not in table format, but you want to get it INTO a table via PowerQuery, you can currently PowerQuery on the same file via ""From File" and turn it into a table and bring it into that same workbook. But the problem is that now you:
        1) Have to save every time before you refresh the query.
        2) Cannot change the name of the file or where it is saved without breaking the query.
        I believe there's a workaround for #2 involving setting up a parameters table…

18 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow PowerQuery to Extract Data from PDF tables

Allow PowerQuery to import tables of data from PDF files.

16 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • date

The ISO8601 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601) date format is the de facto standard for formatting dates in internet applications. We use that date format internally and externally for all dates and times, in all datasets and APIs we produce.

That is until it comes time to creating a CSV file that will be used by Excel. Then these ISO8601 dates simply remain string values and can be very difficult to work with - especially for non-technical stakeholders. Our only solution thus far has been to export three columns in every CSV file: The IS8601 date the rest of our application use…

13 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Harmonize Excel.CurrentWorkbook with Excel.Workbook

Please adjust the M-function "Excel.CurrentWorkbook" so that it returns the same items (in the same structure) than Excel.Workbook (in connection with File.Contents) does:

Returning a table view of all elements with helpful columns like "Kind".

But most importantly also returning content from sheets that isn't in a special format like Table or Defined Name but in a simple range.

There are multiple reasons for letting the source-data untouched but also performing transactions on them and I've come across this request very often. The workarounds are pretty painful (error-prone and need to save file before being able to access data).

Thanks…

9 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• 7 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I received email back from Sam saying he’s expecting this to be the Table Analysis functionality (like key influencers, highlight exceptions), and not the explicit Data Mining features (like clustering). Am going to update the title, and we’ll wait for more votes before considering this item.
                  Thanks, Sam!
                  Ash

• Add "Run R Script" option to Excel 2016 and Excel 2013 "Power Query" add-in, as it is for Power BI.

In July 2016, a "Run R Script" option was added to Power BI Desktop. This option would be a huge benefit to have in Excel 2016 and Excel 2013 Power Query add-in also.

7 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Generic OpenID Connect Support for Web and OData sources

For Web and OData service data sources - provide a custom authentication dialogue option in PowerQuery. I really just need to be able to invoke a browser client, the user login can then login, negotiate auth (OIDC, OAuth, SAML, WS-Fed, etc...) and then I would parse the response for a relevant token to pass to the API endpoint.

The OData feeds are incredibly limited in terms of security today. Generally, as an implementation of REST, there are going to be few OData services with meaningful information behind Basic Auth or allow Anonymous access. API keys (shared secrets) are impossible to…

5 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Default CSV Fields as TEXT PLEASE!!!!!

Excel is horrible for data files, yet it doesn't have to be! When opening a CSV data file it converts numeric strings to Scientific notation which is actually useless because it loses precision and cannot even be converted back and truncates leading zeros on fields like zip codes! For the love of GOD why do you need to do this? how many people in America actually use Scientific Notation? Seriously. Why can't I open a CSV file without you converting my fields. I work in the mailing industry and have been fighting this nonsense for ten years and I have…

4 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow me to merge several cells of text

I import lots of data into excel but I spend even more time formatting it once I get pulled into Excel. Can you add a merge feature to merge numerous cells? I know I can merge cells next to each other but cells above and below I can't.

4 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Why DDE is not longer supportet

Hinweis : In einer früheren Version von Excel haben Sie möglicherweise den dynamischen Datenaustausch (Dynamic Data Exchange, DDE) in Kombination mit dem Seriendruck-Assistent mit Schritt-für-Schritt-Anweisungen in Word verwendet. DDE wird von Excel nicht mehr unterstützt. Wenn Sie möchten, dass dieses Feature bei der nächsten Version von Excel berücksichtigt wird, übermitteln Sie uns einen entsprechenden Kommentar in der Excel Suggestion Box.

4 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• creating Layout of directory in excelsheet directly from your local hard drive

if it was possible that just with one click, we can create a Tree Grid Map of directory, which will give option of inducing sub folders & files with option of inserting hyperlink.

So that i don't have to open 7-8 sub folders before opening my files.

(nothing against VBA, its a great tool) if i create a directory using VBA it is not very beautiful..... i wish i could see small folders with little Expansion buttons it would be very great.

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create a PowerQuery Folder function wizard

PowerQuery would be great if it was provided with the capability (current capability fixed) to import bulk XML and excel files. Currently excel is achievable with workarounds of creating a function for the folder function(why?) as in this post http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/02/25/combine-multiple-excel-workbooks-in-power-query/ however it becomes even more obtuse (though) it shouldn't if you have an xml file representing more than 1 table.

Pressing import from Folder should expect that you are doing just that and ask what file type, then load the first file to edit as desired and then execute against all files in folder.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Respect Columns when Copying and pasting a table from a table or web site

When copying tables from a web site or other table, and pasting into an Excel Spreadsheet, the data is all put in one column. It should be pasted into separate columns. The workaround is to copy and paste one column at a time is quite cumbersome and sometimes does not work if there are blank cells.

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• change data source for all Pivot tables without VBA

you cannot change the data source for 2 or more pivot tables (conneceted to the same data source) that "share" the same slicer.

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Mirroring Worksheets

Sometimes I want to present some information to a client, but not all. Linking doesn't always work due to the possibility of inserting new columns or rows into the data. I would like to clone a worksheet and designate the original as the master worksheet. In the clone, I'd like to change formatting, hide cells, or add information, while mirroring the master data so I can keep my master data and still generate reports for others from the clone.

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create Powershell Cmdlets for getting data from worksheets

Importing Excel data into SQLServer or other platforms that accept csv is a common task. The problem is the tools at hand right now like SSIS, COM, oledb, or parsing the XML, are really bad.

It would be nice to have an officially supported set of Cmdlets for dealing with Excel data that could be used interactively for testing, and then put into automated scripts.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• check the question "IP Address as a datatype." as more would love to have it (including me)

Make a datatype format category for IPv 4 & 6 (12 position and 20 bit IP addresses). Opening csv imports of IP Address lists removes zeros and hence changes the sort order

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Data import to a table - add automatically new rows

When importing data from into a table (from CSV file) there should be an option to add new rows automatically after the last one (as with MS Access).

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
                                          • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
                                          • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
                                          • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
                                          • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
                                          • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.