Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Be able to protect Power Query with password

Now any user can edit and change Power Query connections, it would be very interesting to be able to protect Power Queries with a password.

Thanks

116 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow interaction with Excel while in Power Query

Please make the Power Query editor window (Get Data) non-model. When building complex queries, we often need to go back to Excel to change a worksheet and look at data. Right now, the Power Query editor window takes control over the application, preventing interaction with Excel.

The current behaviour makes it very difficult to do things like the following:
      -Mid query, go back and check a worksheet to see exactly what a cell value may be that you want to refer to
      -When we have a static table in Excel and are trying to build a query that lands an…

81 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • If pasted text is auto converted to a date: _save_the_original_text_. Then give it back when text is desired. Don't corrupt data!

When people in computational biology paste a list of gene names sometimes genes like "SPET8" are in the list. The original value is lost, and now the column has corrupt data. (Why did you kill the original value?) Since the column of gene names usually goes off screen and is often in alphabetical order nobody notices this until something breaks in a bizarre way in another person's hands. Scientific papers have had corrupt data for this reason many times, and everyone advises each other to avoid excel for this reason. It might even make a difference for a clinical diagnosis.…

32 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add "Run R Script" option to Excel 2016 and Excel 2013 "Power Query" add-in, as it is for Power BI.

In July 2016, a "Run R Script" option was added to Power BI Desktop. This option would be a huge benefit to have in Excel 2016 and Excel 2013 Power Query add-in also.

23 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Power Query data from "This Excel Workbook" - Do not break Query if this file name or path changes!

If you want to have a self-contained file where your data is entered not in table format, but you want to get it INTO a table via PowerQuery, you can currently PowerQuery on the same file via ""From File" and turn it into a table and bring it into that same workbook. But the problem is that now you:
            1) Have to save every time before you refresh the query.
            2) Cannot change the name of the file or where it is saved without breaking the query.
            I believe there's a workaround for #2 involving setting up a parameters table…

21 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow PowerQuery to Extract Data from PDF tables

Allow PowerQuery to import tables of data from PDF files.

19 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• date

The ISO8601 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601) date format is the de facto standard for formatting dates in internet applications. We use that date format internally and externally for all dates and times, in all datasets and APIs we produce.

That is until it comes time to creating a CSV file that will be used by Excel. Then these ISO8601 dates simply remain string values and can be very difficult to work with - especially for non-technical stakeholders. Our only solution thus far has been to export three columns in every CSV file: The IS8601 date the rest of our application use…

14 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 12 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Restore the pasting of tab separated text into columns from an HTML <pre> block and web data feed that has been removed from v16.0.7927.1020

When using data/from web or pasting a table from word or pasting an HTML <pre> block from a web page the tab separated data used to get automatically placed into columns. With v16.0.7927.1020 this has stopped - all the data goes into one column. There remains the option (checked by default) to do this when ingesting data from the web, but it no longer happens. When ingesting data from a web feed, you can't use the "paste as text" option to achieve this effect, so this change in behaviour has effectively broken our application's reporting facility. It still works in…

12 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Harmonize Excel.CurrentWorkbook with Excel.Workbook

Please adjust the M-function "Excel.CurrentWorkbook" so that it returns the same items (in the same structure) than Excel.Workbook (in connection with File.Contents) does:

Returning a table view of all elements with helpful columns like "Kind".

But most importantly also returning content from sheets that isn't in a special format like Table or Defined Name but in a simple range.

There are multiple reasons for letting the source-data untouched but also performing transactions on them and I've come across this request very often. The workarounds are pretty painful (error-prone and need to save file before being able to access data).

Thanks…

11 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Why DDE is not longer supportet

Hinweis : In einer früheren Version von Excel haben Sie möglicherweise den dynamischen Datenaustausch (Dynamic Data Exchange, DDE) in Kombination mit dem Seriendruck-Assistent mit Schritt-für-Schritt-Anweisungen in Word verwendet. DDE wird von Excel nicht mehr unterstützt. Wenn Sie möchten, dass dieses Feature bei der nächsten Version von Excel berücksichtigt wird, übermitteln Sie uns einen entsprechenden Kommentar in der Excel Suggestion Box.

10 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Option to get old text data import wizard

The new data import editor has some major flaws:

First, it takes 100 times longer to import some simple 500 rows of data
                          Second, the date format selection for columns (e.g. I want to convert MM/DD/YYYY format to DD.MM.YYYY)

I understand that the new import editor has some advantages but I do not need any of the new functions it has. The old text data import wizard could do everything I needed it do do.

10 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Default CSV Fields as TEXT PLEASE!!!!!

Excel is horrible for data files, yet it doesn't have to be! When opening a CSV data file it converts numeric strings to Scientific notation which is actually useless because it loses precision and cannot even be converted back and truncates leading zeros on fields like zip codes! For the love of GOD why do you need to do this? how many people in America actually use Scientific Notation? Seriously. Why can't I open a CSV file without you converting my fields. I work in the mailing industry and have been fighting this nonsense for ten years and I have…

9 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • WE NEED! Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) in combination with the Step-by-Step Mail Merge Wizard in Word

WE NEED! Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) in combination with the Step-by-Step Mail Merge Wizard in Word. Formatting columns as text to make this work correctly (ie, Zip + 4) is ridiculous!

9 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide more diagnostics for the data / from web process to help developers of the web service resolve the problem with http basic auth.

At the moment, Excel is failing to recognise that the http basic authentication was successful and refuses to ingest the data into the spreadsheet.
                                The web server is returning an http-200 and the data requested, but Excel is saying that the supplied credentials did not work.

With no insight into why Excel thinks it didn't work, how can I fix my web service*?
                                Why is Excel not recognising this when IE11, FireFox, Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi all say it works fine?

Prior to the re-working of the Data ingest process in Office 2016 earlier this year, this all worked fine.…

8 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 8 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I received email back from Sam saying he’s expecting this to be the Table Analysis functionality (like key influencers, highlight exceptions), and not the explicit Data Mining features (like clustering). Am going to update the title, and we’ll wait for more votes before considering this item.
                                    Thanks, Sam!
                                    Ash

• Amazon Redshift Connector

Creation of an Amazon Redshift Connector for Power Query that is similar to Power BI.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-connect-redshift/

6 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Get and Transforms needs to support AAD Authentication

Please provide support for AAD authentication to SQL Database sources. The fact that this can be done at the cloud level (article reference below) but doesn't work with key client tools such as Excel is a disappointing limitation.

6 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add support for SQLite databases as a data source in Excel

SQLite, an open-source relational database and one of the most widely deployed and used database engines.(https://www.sqlite.org/mostdeployed.html).

It would be really useful to be able to query sqlite databases directly in excel. Either to just view data or for further analysis using powerpivot.

5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Color cell to sum number cell

Post a number in a in a cell based on the color of the cell nest to it. IE sum cells c2-c5 if color of cell d2-d50 is red/green.

5 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base