Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Getting Data from another excel file copies the cell format and style

I want to have a separate excel sheet that can get an updated data from another worksheet and also follows the cell format and style.

I can only get an updated data but it won't follow the cell format and style

If I do a copy/paste, I can get the data with the format and style but it won't update any data if there are changes from the other workbook

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Power BI Dataflows as a data source in "Get & Transform Data"

Please add Power BI Dataflows as a data source so that I can import data from a Dataflow into the local spreadsheet/data model.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-create-use

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Default the Power Query formula bar as on

In the Power Query editor window the formula bar is defaulted as off. This is the first thing I tell people to turn on as it’s key to avoiding unintended errors and future proofing your code.

As Gil Raviv says in his book, “ Enabling the formula bar is fundamental to avoid the pitfalls”

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make Insert Data From Picture Option Available for Excel Desktop

Insert Data From Picture has been rolled out for Excel Mobile.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/insert-data-from-picture-3c1bb58d-2c59-4bc0-b04a-a671a6868fd7

Please make this available for Excel Desktop. (Or is already available? If so how to access it?)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Let me choose Decimal separator and Date order in PowerQuery instead of guessing

When importing textfiles using Get and Transform I always struggle with one thing: I do not know upfront what the decimal separator and date order is of my text file. PQ only offers to choose a Locale, but it does not tell me what date order and syntax, nor which decimal separator belongs to this locale.
    I'd love to be able to just choose the relevant separators and date order from a couple of drop-downs. I can almost always see which it is I need from the data, but I hardly ever know which locale belongs to the specific combination…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Power Query Time Stamp of last updated Data

Hi All,

I import data using Power Query from multiple resources and Lots of time I have seen in Power Query that even though we click on Refresh All still not all tables refreshes the data in Power Query Editor.

So I am looking for feature of option in Power Query that shows last data import date. So that user easily know if all the resources have been updated or not or when it last refreshed ?

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix this problem: "sometimes you might find yourself with a workbook that has links you can’t find even though Excel tells you they exist. "

Fix this ridiculous problem: "Sometimes you might find yourself with a workbook that has links you can’t find even though Excel tells you they exist."

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. LEAVE IT ALONE!!! WHY DO I HAVE TO WORK AROUND ALL YOUR IMPROVEMENTS THAT DO NOT WORK???

QUIT FIXING IT - IT WORKS, I SPEND MORE TIME TRYING TO GET YOUR IMPROVED VERSION TO WORK THAN I DO WORKING PRODUCTIVELY. STOP CHANGING THINGS. THERE IS NO VALUE IN TRYING TO FIND WHERE YOU MOVED A FEATURE OR TRYING TO DEBUG A GOOD FEATURE YOU BROKE.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable Data Import from PDF Files

I will suggest that Excel product team adds From PDF files in the Get & Transform group of the Data tab. This will make life much easier to extract data stored in PDF for further analysis in Excel.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Vlook up not working

I am trying to create a table invoicie with Data on one sheet and charge slip on another sheet but i enter the formula and it keeps return N/A in fields can seem to find out why

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. merge multiple excel workbooks into one

I have say 10 excel workbooks and each workbook has 1 sheet each then is it possible to merge all those excel workbooks into one with 10 sheets? As I am not able to find any such option to the best of my knowledge.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Stock Data: update / refresh data automatically

Please keep the stock data automatically up to date without the need to manually refresh it (like in Google Sheets =googlefinance).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Get Parameter button to Power Query and avoid Privacy / Formula.Firewall problems

It's fantastic that you can pick up named ranges in Excel and pass them to Power Query as parameters. However the process is cumbersome and often results in Formula.Firewall warnings or other issues.

This leads to having to switch Privacy Levels to "Ignore" or having to write a query within a query rather than nice and clean "parameter" queries.

It would really simplify things if we could quickly create parameter queries (including a drop down to select parameter type) and that these queries would be immune from the Privacy warnings.

316 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. stock data please add: YTD return, 1 yr price target & EPS est for current yr & next

Data Types: Stocks (please add fields)
    1) Year To Date % Return (including Dividends)
    2) 1 yr price target
    3) EPS est for current yr & next yr

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Implement the Stock Data feature from Excel 365 into Excel 2019 for Desktops

Basic stock information retrieval is a badly needed feature that should have been added to Excel years ago. A built-in feature would be preferable to hand-crafted solutions created by users or developers with varying skill levels.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Power Query Active Directory Feature

Hi All,

I tried to use Active directory feature of Power Query but still not able to find any solution in any forum to speed up the downloading data.

I have more than ~300,000 records to import (i.e. Distribution list contains each member list) from Active directory but it takes 12-~14 hrs to import using Power Query.

Can we look into this feature why there is so much time taken by Power Query and How we optimize the same ?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Why some stocks aren`t available at Office365? Ex. KNRI11, MXRF11, BCRI11

I am using Excel Office365 (Data - Stock) and some stocks available at B3 are not available for Excel Office365 (MXRF11, BCRI11, KNRI11) - a support person from Microsoft told me it is because Excel Database is not updated. Okay, but it doesn`t make sense, how a Stock Listed in Market is not available? Can you guys include/update it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. In the Queries & Connections pane, show the latest refresh duration of each Power Query query

The latest refresh duration can be stated beside the "# rows loaded."/"Connection only." statement, right-aligned, perhaps in the format "3 min 14 sec". The refresh durations do not even have to be saved in the file. For now, they can be kept for only as long as the file remains open.

The refresh durations in Queries & Connections will avoid the need to manually time each query or use a macro to refresh the queries one by one and record the durations. The durations will make it easier to identify which queries need the most optimization.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. PowerQuery should recognise international (Unicode) web addresses

This website uses an accented character:
    https://www.kalóriaguru.hu
    I can use the old Get Data from Web Legacy Wizard providing I add the Magyar language pack to Windows . Powerquery returns "Bad request" unless I translate the address to Punycode
    xn--kalriaguru-ibb.hu
    Allow the end-user to enter their web site address as they know it without having to translate it into American. Sure, doing it in code is no problem, and I'd use VBA, but this is for users who don't know code.
    Technet link:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d3e2608-0f2f-4735-95a4-b03d60e16e35/excel-365-powerquery-error-400-bad-request

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Can't move text cursor to the end of a line that ends in a whitespace character in Power Query's Advanced Editor with IntelliSense turned on

The title of this suggestion is a mouthful, but it is a common scenario and an annoying issue.

Suppose that you are typing in Power Query's Advanced Editor and IntelliSense is turned on. You type a line that ends in a whitespace character (tab or space), but before finishing it, you move your text cursor elsewhere, perhaps to copy the name of a variable to later paste in your unfinished line. If you move your mouse cursor past the end of the unfinished line and click, the text cursor disappears rather than appearing at the end of the line. This…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base