Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Power BI Dataflows as a data source in "Get & Transform Data"

Please add Power BI Dataflows as a data source so that I can import data from a Dataflow into the local spreadsheet/data model.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-create-use

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Let me choose Decimal separator and Date order in PowerQuery instead of guessing

When importing textfiles using Get and Transform I always struggle with one thing: I do not know upfront what the decimal separator and date order is of my text file. PQ only offers to choose a Locale, but it does not tell me what date order and syntax, nor which decimal separator belongs to this locale.
    I'd love to be able to just choose the relevant separators and date order from a couple of drop-downs. I can almost always see which it is I need from the data, but I hardly ever know which locale belongs to the specific combination…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Default the Power Query formula bar as on

In the Power Query editor window the formula bar is defaulted as off. This is the first thing I tell people to turn on as it’s key to avoiding unintended errors and future proofing your code.

As Gil Raviv says in his book, “ Enabling the formula bar is fundamental to avoid the pitfalls”

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix this problem: "sometimes you might find yourself with a workbook that has links you can’t find even though Excel tells you they exist. "

Fix this ridiculous problem: "Sometimes you might find yourself with a workbook that has links you can’t find even though Excel tells you they exist."

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Power Query Time Stamp of last updated Data

Hi All,

I import data using Power Query from multiple resources and Lots of time I have seen in Power Query that even though we click on Refresh All still not all tables refreshes the data in Power Query Editor.

So I am looking for feature of option in Power Query that shows last data import date. So that user easily know if all the resources have been updated or not or when it last refreshed ?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Implement the Stock Data feature from Excel 365 into Excel 2019 for Desktops

Basic stock information retrieval is a badly needed feature that should have been added to Excel years ago. A built-in feature would be preferable to hand-crafted solutions created by users or developers with varying skill levels.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add Get Parameter button to Power Query and avoid Privacy / Formula.Firewall problems

It's fantastic that you can pick up named ranges in Excel and pass them to Power Query as parameters. However the process is cumbersome and often results in Formula.Firewall warnings or other issues.

This leads to having to switch Privacy Levels to "Ignore" or having to write a query within a query rather than nice and clean "parameter" queries.

It would really simplify things if we could quickly create parameter queries (including a drop down to select parameter type) and that these queries would be immune from the Privacy warnings.

290 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Power Query Active Directory Feature

Hi All,

I tried to use Active directory feature of Power Query but still not able to find any solution in any forum to speed up the downloading data.

I have more than ~300,000 records to import (i.e. Distribution list contains each member list) from Active directory but it takes 12-~14 hrs to import using Power Query.

Can we look into this feature why there is so much time taken by Power Query and How we optimize the same ?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable Power Query to Get Data from Excel workbook stored in SharePoint Online document library

Excel Power Query does not provide an Excel workbook stored in SharePoint Online (SPO) document libraries as a data source. In response to Community discussion, Microsoft suggested a work-around to sync the document library that stores the data source (Excel workbook) with OneDrive for Business, then Get Data from the ODFB copy of the data source. That works, but not for our use case.

Our use case: We are a very small company with only 1 power user who is proficient with Excel power tools. We want that user to develop the Excel workbooks (that use power tools) that would…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Dividend Data to Stock Data Type

It would be helpful to include the dividend amount per share and ex-dividend date with the stock data type.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Insert data from picture should be implemented on desktop, and it should read PDF's

Surely you must be aware that this is easily in the top five annoying requests that competent excel users receive from.. other excel users. Why would you not implement this feature to read tables from PDF's in excel proper?!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bring dividend data for the Stocks data type

In addition to stock price data, bring dividend data for the stocks

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please update the stock ticker list. Several mutual fund tickers are not included in Excel's Stocks Data Type - including FZROX and FXILX

Please update the stock and mutual fund ticker list. Several mutual fund tickers are not included in Excel's Stocks Data Type - including FZROX and FXILX

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Show Tables in Power Query when opening an xlsb file

When using Power Query / Get Data to open .xlsx files and .xlsm files, the Tables present in those files are shown in a list.
    When opening a .xlsb file only Sheets are shown and not any of the Tables present within the file.

If there is only one table on a sheet, AND it starts in cell A1, then it is relatively easy to still load the data, but where there are multiple tables per sheet, OR the tables don't start in A1, then there is a lot of unnecessary work deleting Rows and or Columns to obtain your…

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Stocks data of Shanghai Stock Exchange is needed

According to the following article, Shanghai Stock Exchange is not supported, while other exchanges in China (Shenzhen, Hongkong, Taiwan) are available. Shanghai Stock Exchange makes up a large part of stock market in China. Suggest that the Shanghai Stock Exchange be covered.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/about-our-data-sources-98a03e23-37f6-4776-beea-c5a6c8e787e6?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add support for custom data connectors (Power Query M extensions)

Custom Data Connectors mechanism is being developed by Power BI Desktop team:

* https://github.com/Microsoft/DataConnectors
    * https://github.com/Microsoft/DataConnectors/blob/master/docs/m-extensions.md

Excel's Get & Transform engine (Power Query) should have support for *.mez/*.pqx extensions too.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Please include KLSE(Malaysia) market data to Stock data type

Please include KLSE(Malaysia) stock data to Stock data type

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. select date for open/close stock

You should be able to pick dates when selecting stock info.

E.g set the date as 06/11/2019 to get XNAS:MSFT open price on that day.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Give the option to show metadata above tables that are loaded from queries.

It would be nice to be able to show meta-data above tables that are loaded from queries. An example of this would be displaying the notes that are in the properties of the query two rows above the loaded table. Here are a few more examples: source data name or file location; last refresh time; errors; code-based message, hyperlink to the query, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Stocks data - UK OEIF Funds

J P Morgan Natural Resources Inclusive Class A Accumulation Fund (This is a UK fund) cannot be found under the Stocks Data listing. Please include. have tried looking for various different spellings etc.

JPM Natural Resources Fund A - Net Accumulation (0P00000RC8.L)
    LSE in GBp

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base